Photo

Taxes Driving the Rich Out of Rhode Island?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#131 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

There are many lessons here...but even more blind eyes, unable to see the light.

Hudson River town wonders what's next as GE plant heads south in latest NY manufacturing loss
About 200 jobs will head south as soon as September when GE sends local operations to Florida to cut costs.

Many here worry about an estimated $12 million in wages disappearing to Florida.

"I think your tax climate, your labor costs, your old capital are probably three of the biggest factors, not only in this specific move, but a lot of the moves that you see out of New York state,"
"Did our union get too strong? This was probably the best-paying mill in the area," said Bruce Ostrander, a veteran tool-and-die maker.

Florida is a "right-to-work" state, which means workers can't be required to join a union as a condition of employment. The Clearwater jobs will not be union jobs. Horne said they will pay prevailing wages.

"We need to improve our overall cost structure to be competitive. Wages are only one element of that cost structure," Horne said.

http://www.therepubl...n-Loses-Factory

For Florida, the population estimates set to be released Monday could come with a side of bragging rights.
This may finally be the year Florida overcomes New York as the nation’s third most-populous state.
“Florida is on a roll,” Scott wrote in a statement. “Cutting taxes and reducing red tape on businesses is a great catalyst for economic opportunity and job creation".

[url="http://"%20<a%20href="http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/27/3839946/florida-poised-to-become-third.html#storylink=cpy""%20target="_blank">http://www.miamihera...839...ylink=cpy"</a>"]Link to Miami Hearld Article[/url]
"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#132 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Excessive taxes & regulation: pretty soon you get a wild Tea Party revolt by lovers of freedom.
In the meantime the poor & unemployed continue to suffer under the banner of a Command and Control Monarchy.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Government regulations driving fast food restaurants out of US...

"Under the current U.S. business climate, regulatory and tax restrictions tend to curb otherwise dynamic entrepreneurial energy," Puzder said. "We'd love to see more growth in domestic markets. Unfortunately, it's easier for our franchisees to open a restaurant in Siberia than in California."

"It's difficult to open in the U.S., but we love the U.S. and continue to fight the good fight to open restaurants and create jobs," Puzder said. "It's just that the government is making it hard for us to build those restaurants."

Over the last three years, Hardee's and Carl's Jr. opened more restaurants internationally than in their own backyards—a first, he added. CKE now operates restaurants in 30 foreign countries.

On a percentage basis, the growth rate is striking. During this period, the company increased its restaurant count domestically by 2 percent. Meanwhile international locations jumped by 53 percent as CKE filled in "white space" or areas where it currently doesn't have restaurants.

Puzder named ethanol regulation, which has resulted in higher beef costs, a rising minimum wage and higher labor costs due to Obamacare as three obstacles that make doing business in the U.S. more difficult than in the past.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 31 December 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#133 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Email received today from RP along these lines Campaign for Liberty Dear Patriot, Their ugly tactics have been exposed, but I'm afraid that hasn't stopped the statist IRS from targeting groups who dare to stand up for limited government and our U.S. Constitution. Their goal remains to shut up and shut down organizations like C4L who dare to criticize radical assaults on our freedom launched by Big Government apologists in BOTH parties. In order to best prepare for a possible government witch hunt from President Obama's IRS and/or FEC, I have advised Campaign for Liberty to ask all of its supporters to positively assert they support the organization. You can do that by filling out Campaign for Liberty's 2014 Membership Ballot. As you'll see from C4L Chairman Ron Paul's email below, Dr. Paul and C4L staff very much want to hear from you right away. Please note that filling out your directive will not put you in danger of government retaliation. But it will prove that C4L's supporters do consider themselves members, which can be key to answering any legal charges. Please carefully read over Dr. Paul's email and fill out your 2014 Membership Ballot for Campaign for Liberty IMMEDIATELY. I know Dr. Paul, John Tate, and the C4L staff are anxiously awaiting your reply and your advice. Please act today. Sincerely, David Warrington, Esq. Attorney at Law This correspondence is not intended as attorney advertising or solicitation. It is not offered as legal advice, and it does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, an attorney-client relationship. Campaign for Liberty Dear Patriot, I don’t often do this. But today, I’m writing you with an urgent request. After a series of discussions with Campaign for Liberty President John Tate, I am convinced this may well be the most important letter I’ve ever sent you as Chairman of Campaign for Liberty. Patriot, I already knew the picture was dire. I already knew Campaign for Liberty’s bank accounts were stretched thin fighting so many battles this year – including C4L’s all-out push for a Senate vote on Audit the Fed. But now, 2014 is rapidly approaching. With legislative fights still raging, and the critical 2014 election year right around the corner, these next twelve months could be a make or break year for you and me. I’ll explain more about that shortly . . . But please know I’m counting on your advice today. As you'll see below, I've provided a link to your confidential 2014 Campaign for Liberty Membership Ballot. After you’re finished reading this letter, please give me your opinion right away. Without your opinion – and your IMMEDIATE support – I’m afraid I could be forced to make deep cuts in Campaign for Liberty’s most important programs (even in some fights where I believe we could win). Considering everything that’s at stake, you and I can’t let that happen. This year, Campaign for Liberty made tremendous progress in its efforts to pass Audit the Fed legislation (S. 209/H.R. 24). Thanks to my son, Senator Rand Paul, placing a hold on Janet Yellen — President Obama’s nominee to be the next Fed Chair — Audit the Fed is receiving unprecedented attention in the U.S. Senate. Nearly 75% of the American people support Audit the Fed. As it becomes increasingly clear that, in the words of former Fed official Andrew Huszar, the Fed’s Quantitative Easing program is “the greatest backdoor Wall Street bailout of all time,” I expect that number to grow. So we have a tremendous opportunity to advance this issue further than ever before. But to do so, we must overcome an all-out blitz by big-spenders in D.C. and the special interests on Wall Street. Just days after Senator Paul announced his hold, Campaign for Liberty staff was hearing reports that lobbyists were already turning up the heat on the Senate to defeat Audit the Fed. The special interests are desperate to keep you from learning the details about the Fed’s bailouts of Wall Street, Big Banks, and even foreign governments and central banks. The more support we gain, the more the special interests will push back. Campaign for Liberty must also overcome resistance from politicians in both parties who do not want to choose between siding with the majority of Americans or Wall Street insiders. But when Campaign for Liberty launched its effort to Audit the Fed in 2009, no one thought it could get this far, and I am confident we can make even more progress if C4L can expand its programs. So if you think Audit the Fed should be C4L’s top priority, please vote for “OPTION #1: PASS AUDIT THE FED” on your Membership Ballot. Turn on Images But before you make that choice, consider the opportunity Campaign for Liberty has to strike at the foundation of ObamaCare. Now that the American people are finally getting a taste of ObamaCare, the political dynamic over this legislation is completely changing. In fact, roughly one-dozen Democrat United States Senators, worried stiff about their political careers, are beginning to push for “reform” of the bill. It’s not hard to see why. The website issues look to be the least of President Obama’s problems. Millions of Americans - those that haven’t seen outright cancellations - are watching their health insurance premiums skyrocket. Businesses are cutting hours and freezing hiring. States that have spent millions setting up exchanges have enrolled only a handful of people. This all means the fight over ObamaCare is NOT over. But this could be the most dangerous time in the entire law’s history. The establishment of BOTH parties is going to want to pass quick fixes to paper over the law’s failings, kicking the can down the road until this law becomes even more entrenched. Our movement can’t let that happen. It’s up to liberty-minded Americans to keep pushing for nothing less than FULL repeal of the individual mandate. If the mandate is repealed, the entire ObamaCare law will completely unravel. So if fighting ObamaCare is your top priority, please vote for “OPTION #2: REPEAL THE INDIVIDUAL MANDATE” on your Membership Ballot. But before you do, please consider what else we’re facing. With the 2014 elections right around the corner, statists in BOTH parties know time is running out to pass their so-called “immigration reform” bill. They’re flat-out desperate to pass a bill – any bill. So for months now, Congressman Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) have been working behind the scenes to pave the way for the bill’s passage. And as you and I both know, buried deep within BOTH parties’ “reform” bills lies a brand-new National ID database. If passed, this dangerous scheme would require a new National ID card based on Social Security cards. These cards would be tied to a national database containing biometric identification information, potentially even including fingerprints, retinal scans, or scans of veins on the back of your hands, which could easily be used for government tracking. The database itself could include virtually any information the statists want, including gun ownership, race, religion, political views – and what you and I read, watch, and buy. I don’t know about you, but this scheme sends shivers down my spine. If you think fighting a new National ID scheme should be Campaign for Liberty’s top priority, please vote for “OPTION #3: STOP THE NATIONAL ID DATABASE” on your Membership Ballot. Turn on Images If those were the only fights Campaign for Liberty had on its plate, I might not be so worried. But there are two more fights that could be among the most important Campaign for Liberty has ever taken on. It’s no secret statists in BOTH parties have declared an all-out WAR on our Fourth Amendment rights in recent years. Amazingly, many Americans just tolerated it. But as soon as revelations hit about NSA spying on American citizens - collecting BILLIONS of phone and email records – things quickly began changing. Now most Americans understand, whether it’s intentional or not, the groundwork for the most technologically advanced police state in world history is being built all around us. That’s why I believe Campaign for Liberty must continue to fight to restore our Fourth Amendment rights. This year, Campaign for Liberty members mobilized in support of Representative Justin Amash’s amendment to roll back NSA spying. The amendment came closer to passing than anybody expected. Since then, support for reining in the NSA has only grown, as new revelations about its spying have come to light. It looks like Congress will consider legislation dealing with the NSA next year. However, some powerful Senators — such as Diane Feinstein and John McCain — are pushing legislation that actually ratifies the NSA’s unconstitutional spying! Other legislation may take a step forward, but it does not do nearly enough to protect our Fourth Amendment rights. If Campaign for Liberty does not mobilize in support of reining in the NSA, we may lose this opportunity to begin rolling back the surveillance state, as Congress will pass legislation either endorsing NSA spying or taking half-measures that don’t protect your right to be free of unconstitutional surveillance. So if you think rolling back the surveillance state is most important, please vote for “OPTION #4: PROTECT OUR FOURTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS” on your Membership Ballot. But please take a second or two to think about everything that’s at stake in 2014 before you do. As you may remember – while it was a disaster for the Republican Party overall – 2012 was a banner year for our liberty movement. Whether it was incredible state legislative wins all over the country, or even the election of new liberty movement heroes in the U.S. House and Senate, liberty movement victories were the one bright spot for the Republican Party. So naturally, GOP establishment types are now welcoming more liberty movement, Tea Party candidates with open arms, right? No. For months now, news outlets have been screaming about an impending, establishment-led WAR on our allies. Staunch friends like Congressmen Justin Amash (R-MI) and Thomas Massie (R-KY) are likely facing bruising primary fights. Other solid candidates just in the beginning phases of their campaigns are already feeling the brunt of Big Government GOP attacks. Their goal is simple. Win or lose in November, they’re out to CRUSH you and me. Should they succeed, they’re convinced it will be the death knell for our movement. All I know is after all the smoky backroom deals we’ve seen from BOTH parties, as I said earlier, it could be a make or break year for you and me. Not because you and I will EVER stop fighting for liberty. But because if the statists triumph at the ballot box in 2014, I believe it will only embolden them to launch further assaults. With your support, C4L can run a robust Candidate Survey Program to get out the truth on where candidates stand on the most critical issues of the day and hold politicians accountable. So if you think exposing Big Government politicians is most important, please vote for “OPTION #5: FIGHT BACK IN 2014” on your Membership Ballot. Turn on Images Of course, there’s one other option. It’s the option I hope and pray you’ll choose. That’s “OPTION #6: FIGHT EVERYWHERE.” But if that’s the option you choose, please recognize how serious this is. Without an IMMEDIATE influx of funds, Campaign for Liberty will be forced to cut back on our most critical programs and perhaps even end some altogether. I can’t bear to see that happen. So won’t you agree to a generous contribution of $30 TODAY? I know that’s a lot to ask. But these are CRITICAL times. I’m convinced our shared ideas of liberty have what it takes to restore our country. I’ve been amazed at the incredible progress our R3VOLUTION has seen in recent years. I can’t tell you what it means to me to have wonderful folks like you fighting continually for restored liberty. But if $30 is just too much, please agree to give $20 or at least $10. Turn on Images Because of good folks like you, Campaign for Liberty is now one of the most feared political forces in the entire country. But we have so much important work in the months ahead. So please fill out your 2014 Membership Ballot and agree to make your most generous contribution of $30, $20, $10, or whatever you can afford TODAY. For Liberty, Ron Paul Chairman P.S. I believe – with legislative fights still raging and the critical 2014 election year right around the corner – these next twelve months could be a make or break year for you and me. Without an IMMEDIATE influx of funds, Campaign for Liberty will be forced to cut back on our most critical programs and perhaps even end some all together. So please fill out your 2014 Membership Ballot and agree to make your most generous contribution of $30, $20, $10, or whatever you can afford TODAY. Turn on Images Because of Campaign For Liberty's tax-exempt status under IRC Sec. 501©(4) and its state and federal legislative activities, contributions are not tax deductible as charitable contributions (IRC § 170) or as business deductions (IRC § 162(e)(1)). www.CampaignForLiberty.org

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#134 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Harvey should gladly pay even more taxes to support California.
Instead he pleads for tax breaks???
But then again, I think he's a member of the hippo-crat party.

Harvey Weinstein Pleads For Tax Breaks...

He called for California to expand its production tax incentives.
“There’s no reason for us not to shoot here, except when you do the numbers here and when you do the numbers in New Orleans, it is much more attractive financially.”

Poor starving Harvey said: “We didn’t win Oscars with ‘The Butler,’ but we did win the Bank of America Award.”

Edited by Rogerdodger, 09 March 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#135 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

The whole thing is going down real fast now. Sure it's they want to bring their solution. No one of education and experience will engage in these entrapments and fraud, and rogue agencies. Sure the cult cycled through a long time figuring on new de-educated generations coming up with new victims, the latest are already taken down ( tuition and unemployment ) and have learned alot from watching their parents harvested by marxists. There might have been a time when the old guard was just greedy and warlike but knew the snake should not eat it's own tail. Now it's just vampire squid cannibals in the beltway. The jig is up, but people will need some form of self sustainability to bridge over. Very critical days here, one year, one and one half, it goes fast, that much time to make any forms of isolation from the matrix.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#136 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

NJ Property-Tax Bills Hit New Record...

NJ Leads The Nation In Residents Moving Out

Rutgers economist James Hughes says, “People are leaving because New Jersey is a very expensive place to live. We have high taxes and we have high housing costs per se – you can cash out on your very expensive house in New Jersey and move to a much more affordable state, and purchase an equivalent house at maybe half the price – half the taxes – and live quite well.”

The top-five outbound states for 2012 were:
New Jersey
Illinois
West Virginia
New York
New Mexico

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 March 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#137 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

The Laffer curve is on full display in NJ. Notice in real time what happens when you get a tax rate over 30%.
It's a LAFF that publicly educated people still vote for populism, in spite of it's punitive damaging reality:

Posted Image

New Jersey residents fleeing high tax burdens...
The study shows the state has been steadily losing high-net-worth residents since 2004, when Democratic Gov. Jim McGreevey signed the millionaire’s tax into law.
The law raised the state income tax 41 percent on those earning $500,000 or more a year.
(Maybe they should go for 50%) LOL!

“The inception of this tax, coupled with New Jersey’s already high property and estate taxes, leaves no mystery about why the term ‘tax migration’ has become a buzzword among state residents and financial, legal, and political professionals,” the study, conducted by Regent states.
The wealthy aren’t the only ones being asked to pony up. This week Democratic State Sen. Ray Lesniak proposed a 5-cent per gallon gas tax!!!

The study stated it “intentionally” held its results “as 2014 is not an election year for state legislators” and it will “hopefully encourage a serious and objective dialogue aimed at addressing and solving the challenges that New Jersey currently faces.”

Such tax hikes are driving residents to states with lower tax rates: In 2010 alone, New Jersey lost taxable income of $5.5 billion because residents changed their state of domicile.

Definition of INSANITY!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 March 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#138 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

NJ Property-Tax Bills Hit New Record...

NJ Leads The Nation In Residents Moving Out

Rutgers economist James Hughes says, “People are leaving because New Jersey is a very expensive place to live. We have high taxes and we have high housing costs per se – you can cash out on your very expensive house in New Jersey and move to a much more affordable state, and purchase an equivalent house at maybe half the price – half the taxes – and live quite well.”

The top-five outbound states for 2012 were:
New Jersey
Illinois
West Virginia
New York
New Mexico

How did they get out through the former Presidential hopeful's traffic jam at the bridge?

:rolleyes:

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#139 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

The black market is big business in Venezuela as it's economy collapses.
Gaining in the US under command-and-control governments for those who can't leave the state.

Illinois to Follow California's Lead with 'Millionaire Tax'...
Huge boom in cigarette smuggling...

REPORT: Over half cigs sold in NY from black market...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 21 March 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#140 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

WALGREENS urged to leave USA for tax cut...
Investor group lobbies for shift to Europe...

At a private meeting in Paris on Friday, investors owning close to 5 per cent of Walgreens’ shares lobbied the company’s management to use its $16bn takeover of Swiss-based Alliance Boots to re-domicile its tax base.
The move, known as an inversion, would dramatically reduce Walgreens’ taxable income in the US, which has among the highest corporate tax rates in the world.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 April 2014 - 06:23 PM.