topping

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#151 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

take a look @ what the junior did last time. i made good scratch in the metals , but i made much more in the miners.
dharma

There's no doubt that if you pick the correct miners and sit on them to near the top, you will make a bundle more than anyone else. No doubt at all. It's much easier said than done, though, as compared to holding the metals.

The nice thing about the metals is you can take on enough leverage through futures (from which, thanks to our irresponsible financial system, one can get about as much leverage as they could ever hope for) to compensate for the fact that on a non-levered basis they usually underperform miners. I know some are not comfortable with trading futures due to concern about the collapse of paper but for those of us that are (or are for the time being...if/when paper gets closer to the brink of collapse we'll have to talk again), it is my preferred method of playing the gold and silver market since the returns are much smoother and can exceed the returns of many miners due to the low margin required for holding gold and silver futures contracts.

Based on what I've seen to this point, I would rather be leveraged long the metals through futures than simply long miners (the latter I find very volatile compared to the returns they provide, and also I do not have time to research...and I know there are many crooks in the biz and many factors one has to look at with each company, so one has to do their homework when buying individual miners). One could consider junior mining ETFs like GDXJ and SIL, though, if one is so inclined to not using futures but still doesn't have time to research individual miners. If I ever have a concern about a collapse in the futures market, I will probably move over to ETFs like these.

I also think we may be seeing a permanent shift as far as how miners are treated. No doubt, they will catch up to the metals at some point by more than they have at least (as they have depressingly underperformed to this point), but clearly many average joes prefer to use the metal ETFs and metal futures to play gold and silver nowadays. In the '70s many people were forced to buy mining companies to get exposure to gold and silver. Today there's many ways to get exposure to gold and silver and one doesn't need to bother to buy individual shares (although, as I said earlier, if you manage to make the right picks you could potentially beat everyone else in terms of returns...much easier said than done, though).

--

Regarding phase 3 of this secular bull, I tend to think it will happen after the next eight/nine year cycle low (2016? 2017?)...will probably be a 1-2 year period that is just completely parabolic (think late 1998 to early 2000 in the Nasdaq, or 1979-80 in gold). 2017-2018 is thus approximately when I'm thinking the peak will come but we'll have to wait and see. No one can say for sure but some pretty good guesses can be made. My studies of past commodity bulls indicate that they very commonly last 15-18 years. The last one was ~1965-80 if you use mining stocks as your measure (as gold was not floating until 1970).

you my friend are obviously a pro, and your well thought out plan should be a game changer for you. few realize what this is really about on so many levels.
40 silver in this parabolic right here and folks are looking for the exit. my question is fine, you made good scratch from 4-5 , now where do you put the $$$. the unraveling has not even started yet.
if one goes back and studies charts prior to 1971 volatility was really absent for guys like us, being a speculator was darn near impossible. there was not enough price fluctuation to get in and out and make a living, much less a profit. it was only when the dollar was unhinged from gold , that volatility entered into the market. imho, when this bull is over , there will be some plan to attach the currencies to the metal, a basket of real value, i dont know what the plan will entail. but the banksters will be good for a few decades. so, if one wants to change their financial situation is the opportunity. yes there will be bull and bear markets , their expression will be measured in years not months. this bull will be a game changer, but for very few. one has to study past charts , bull/bear markets. gain understanding , real understanding. and then this next most volatile leg can be a game changer. keep in mind that since 250 gold , gold has risen more than 500% . @the present say 1500 gold , 3k gold is a double. the miners have a >% to go. their profits will rise exponentially along w/the risks.
few have a tried and true strategy like alysomji. one has to give these bulls/bears lots of room parameters have to change. deliberating if the start of a move is an impulse or not will keep one on the sidelines ( elliott died broke. prechter has been wrong on everything for decades.) i did subscribe to prechter from about 80- sometime in 89 . and during that time he was amazing. elliott is a tool, not the tool. anyway, i digress. around october when the bottom occurs , some period thereafter its going to get into another gear, volatility is going to be off the charts. i dont know when it could take longer than i think, as alysomji says. anyway, do your homework your competition has done theirs. almost everyone i know owned the new stocks, internet stocks in 99-2k, and all of them rode the internet stocks down. its a tough tough game. do your homework . look @all the commodity charts from 79-80 . see if you can get material on what folks were thinking back then . what newsletter writers were telling their clients. and do the same for 99-2k look @daily charts. w/o study, and doing research , your emotions will hold sway. its not intestinal fortitude, its having studied and knowing what is in store for the market. yes the name of the market changes, but its still all human emotion and feeling. that doesnt change. gold and silver both have the most amazing story of them all. 5k years of being money is tough to match or beat. when this gets in gear buckle up
dharma

#152 JGUITARSLIM

JGUITARSLIM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

There's one hell of a commentary going on in this thread.
Hope folks are listening.

Found this interesting from Norcini...

I hope to have further on this topic sometime this weekend depending on time constraints but I wanted to at least get some charts up to demonstrate how severely undervalued many of the mining shares are in relation to the underlying metal as a result of the plying of this particular trading strategy.

One of the factors that I believe are involved with this severe underperformance of the shares in general is the advent of the ETF's. Those who want LEVERAGED EXPOSURE to either or both gold and silver can now use the ETF's to do so.

Formerly, there were two methods available - commodity futures or mining shares. Since the charters of some funds prevents them from investing or trading in commodity futures, funds who wanted this leveraged exposure to the metals were forced to go into the mining shares in the past. That implied that bull markets in the metals were going to see substantial money flows coming into the shares.

Since the ETF's came along, those institutions looking for leveraged exposure to gold can now directly purchase the silver or gold ETF's instead and margin those up to obtain leverage. In other words, they are no longer captive to using only the mining shares.

Additionally, the hedge funds, which have proliferated like mushrooms after a summer rain, are able to offer prospective clients exposure to the commodity markets since there is nothing in their charters preventing them from investing in the commodity markets. That attracts further funds that in time past would have flowed into the mining sector directly.

Keep in mind what is necessary to drive prices higher - sustained investment flows. Now, if the investment flows that formerly would be diverted directly to the mining shares have been split and are now moving directly into the commodity futures markets and the ETF's, that pulls a portion away from the shares. That means that there is a bit of an exploitable weakness, a chink in the armor if you will, in the sense that the amount of firepower coming into the shares, is weaker when compared to the other alternative forums for investing in the precious metals.

The hedge funds understanding this then employ a strategy designed to take advantage of the "weaker sister" which suffers somewhat from the smaller money flows heading its direction - they short some of the mining shares while buying the commodity futures and the ETF's. That selling then further absorbs the buying interest that is still heading into the mining sector shares.

The reason they do this is because it helps them manage their risk. When the market sells off in this volatile environment, they are able to profit from the short leg of this trade as the shares head lower generally at a faster rate than the metals themselves do. In other words, they might be losing $1.00 on their long gold or silver positions in the futures or ETF's, but making $1.10 - $1.20 on their short share position. In effect, they have a permanent put option.

This trade has been extremely effective for them which is why they seemingly refuse to give it up but at some point, the effect is to so distort the price of the mining shares in relation to the underlying metal, that something has to snap to bring the share price back in line to historical norms. After all, the higher the metals run in price, the more profitable the well run miners become. Stock prices are eventually determined by profits - Eventually some of the hedge funds plying this trade will begin to realize that they are pushing the trade too far and will begin to exit. That will set off a rush by the others to do the same.

We got a brief taste of this April 5 of this year when the HUI shot up nearly 30 points in a single day. That was the first sign that the days of this trade are drawing to a close. There is an old adage in the trading world which is apropos for this situation:

Bulls make money; Bears make money; but Pigs get slaughtered.

Hedgies beware. The time is coming when there are not going to be any sellers on the other side of your trade when you need to unwind it.

http://traderdannorc...s-continue.html

#153 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,970 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

be awake amigos as gold stocks look muy malo and gold and silver look ripe for grande reversals south of the border. BSing away Senor

#154 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

It looks like a shakeout is coming, Senor. A classic shakeout. Nothing more.

Like I said last week:

Between here and $50, assuming silver is going to $50 or slightly above $50, I expect at least one if not two or three shakeouts. It will not be easy to hold. For example, I think gold could drop say 2.5-3.5% and silver could drop say 10% at any moment here without disturbing the trend of this rally. In fact, I think such a shakeout may be coming within the next 5-10 trading days.

"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#155 JGUITARSLIM

JGUITARSLIM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

Just did some light buying/added to positions. With Senor's latest "warning" call, I just had too. Becoming one of my favorite bottom indicators. ;)

#156 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

It looks like a shakeout is coming, Senor. A classic shakeout. Nothing more.

Like I said last week:

Between here and $50, assuming silver is going to $50 or slightly above $50, I expect at least one if not two or three shakeouts. It will not be easy to hold. For example, I think gold could drop say 2.5-3.5% and silver could drop say 10% at any moment here without disturbing the trend of this rally. In fact, I think such a shakeout may be coming within the next 5-10 trading days.

w/you there we tried to break into the next price cycle this am -1495 and reversed, nothing unusual there. we could test the 1443 or 1460 for that matter, i dont know , this is normal market action @this point. i detect folks jettisoning their miners, because of the under performance , which could be setting up for a big rally, as miner get into stronger hands. of course i dont like it when the metals(.40%of my holdings) are down and the miners are losing money(.6% of my money) . but i recognize this is all part of the process. i have some cash and i will be accommodating to the opportunity that the market gives me, when i feel the bottom is in.
take notice that saudi, uae, and kuwait have all cut production of crude oil. its good to have friends in opec.(sarcastic)
food prices continue to press the upside. unfortunately starvation is in store for millions.
all part of the process
JGUITARSLIM if you are the only one on this board who really gets what alysomji and i point to , i for one will be happy, that @least one person gets it. this is a process of years. the time to get ones house in order is now, during the 3rd phase it will be more volatile and faster.
folks if you havent started a food storage program for your loved ones , @least think about it. 135 million people in japan will be forced to import food. radiation is already appearing in their ground water tables, on their grasses(in their milk), etc tepco has said it could take 9months for it to be fully capped.
the fed , ecu, and almost everyone else is monetizing. stuff, real stuff is going to continue in a bull market. yes, qe2 will end, but in some form or other openly or covertly the printing/monetizing will continue. but dont worry , ben is watching the inflation #s , he has the tools to deal w/inflation should it appear. oh and i have a bridge that i would like to sell you.
dharma

#157 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,970 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Just did some light buying/added to positions.

With Senor's latest "warning" call, I just had too.
Becoming one of my favorite bottom indicators. ;)

That was not nice.

Senor

#158 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,970 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

That was not nice.

Senor

#159 stubaby

stubaby

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

That was not nice.

Senor

Senor:

I agree -JGUITARSLIM: let's keep it civilized and "on point" here please!

stubaby

#160 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,970 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

That was not nice.

Senor

Senor:

I agree -JGUITARSLIM: let's keep it civilized and "on point" here please!

stubaby

I have been wrong and will be wrong in the future, interesting he gave me no credit for being right about gold stocks having cinco down and I forecasted another move down - it has happened, oh well, some just like to criticize. And amigo Studaby now we find out if HUI is finishing correction or a tres wave is happening, muy importante.

Senor