Photo

A lot of excitement after Friday's close. Lets check the charts.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

Wow, fluid has gone completely nuts

Is fluid a bot ?

Nope. While exhibiting some, fluid doesn't have most of the characteristics. "stocks", on the other hand... getting to be more and more likely, most notably -- not only does he not respond, he doesn't even seem to know he's been asked a question.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#32 fluid

fluid

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Because there are clean alternatives available in producing electricity. Even if pollution is caused by a power plant the production is centralised and can therefore becleaned at source, unlike a mobile pollution vehicle.

The internal combustion engine is far more efficient in extracting energy from fuel than any power plant can ever be. The energy is produced right at the usage point and the forces created due to explosive combustion go directly in creating torque where it is needed.

A fossil fuel power plant OTOH has lots of built in energy losses, beginning with efficiency of the boiler, efficiency of the turbine, efficiency of the electricity generator, efficiency of the step up transformer, power losses in transmission lines, efficiency of the step down transformers at sub-station, efficiency of the battery charger. The overall efficiency = multiplication of each efficiency along the chain. To illustrate this, if all these steps operate at an optimistic 90% efficiency, the overall efficiency = 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 = 0.48%.

The so called green energy alternatives, such as wind turbines also have efficiency losses in generators, transformers, transmission lines etc. Although the main problem with them is what happens when there is no wind blowing or sun shining.

No matter how much cleaning is done at a centralized power plant, it is still burning carbon based fuel and generating CO2 in proportion to fuel burned.

I am not expert but still believe a plant would result in a much cleaner solution than millions of cars.