• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

This was an interesting event. 1500 workers, unions, and activists show up at the annual shareholder mtg at Mcdonalds Oak Brook plush and posh campus. an ideallyic setting nestled in amongst trees and ponds, in the otherwise barren flat lands known as the suburbs of Chicago. They are demanding $15/hr. Most were adults. Of which apparently now represents many of Mickey D's workers (not primarily teens as Mickey D' used to like to portray) The most interesting 'argument' was that these workers deserve to be paid at the rates of Mickey D's workers in Australia ($19/hour), or Denmark (exceeding $20/hr). Funny that. If I'm not mistaken a Big Mac in those countries costs north of $10. Cheeseburger, north of $5. McDonald's already has issues with their lost 'dollar menu' items, and not quite the dividend stalwart it once was. If they charge the same food prices as in Denmark, or Australia, and then pay the same wages, then assuredly half their US operations would go out of business over-night, and more than half these complaining workers would lose their jobs. This may sound harsh, but they truly should be thankful they have a job, and that the economic environment here in the US allows for a McDonald's to even exist. Fast food may not be healthy, but its still prolific and apparently demanded by quite a few American consumers (not to mention all the other existing outlets like Wendy's, Hardee's, Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut, 5 Brothers, Starbux, and at least 100's of others I fail to be able to list here off the top of my head). What these folks should really worry about, are their jobs being completely replaced by robots and more technology. The more they become a burden to Mickey D's, the more the drive by management to seal their fates with replacement via obsolescence. (i.e. sorry employee - but you are OBSOLETE !)
OTIS.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

I liked this reader reply: "Call SEIU and ask for a $80,000 year job."

A simple solution for these targeted businesses: 2 menu boards.
#1: Current menu pricing.
#2: Pricing reflecting $15 an hour wage.

See if these protesters are willing to buy a $25 combo meal from Menu #2.

How many of these stores will close?

McDonald's reported first quarter earnings results Tuesday morning, revealing a decline in profit thanks to, in part, a 1.7% comparable store sales drop

Edited by Rogerdodger, 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM.