#311 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

"nothing more than a change in weather patterns"

Just like now.

65-Million-Years-of-Climate-Change.jpg

A graph with some obscure labels and no explanation of what it is supposed to represent is meaningless.  Please explain and provide a link to the article from which this came.

Blogging at http://RichInvesting.wordpress.com

My swing trades typically last a couple of weeks to a couple of months. 

#312 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:03 AM

We didn't have any data in North America during the 1500's through even the middle 1800's - the indians didn't have thermometers.  

#313 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:06 PM

We didn't have any data in North America during the 1500's through even the middle 1800's - the indians didn't have thermometers.  

This is a nonsensical comment regarding climate research over time.  There were also no thermometers prior to 1500's.  Climate data has been constructed from tree ring analysis and from core borings in Antarctica, much farther back than 1500's.

Beginning in the 1970s, paleoclimatologists began constructing a blueprint of how Earth's temperature changed over the centuries before the widespread use of thermometers. Over the last two decades, there has been a major breakthrough in our understanding of global temperature change over the last 2,000 years. Several different but important studies, published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, revolutionized what we know about the present day in the context of past centuries. The research of the late 1990s formed the foundation for a progression of studies that followed, incorporating advances in statistical techniques and information from a broad range of proxy data types.

Although there are differences between individual proxy temperature records, due in part to the diverse statistical methods utilized and sources of the proxy data, they all indicate similar patterns of temperature variability over the last 2,000 years. For example, it has become apparent that the "Medieval Climate Anomaly” temperatures from about 950 to 1250 AD were mostly warmer averaged over the Northern Hemisphere than during the subsequent "Little Ice Age” from roughly 1450 to 1850 AD. The timing and spatial structure of the Medieval Climate Anomaly and Little Ice Age are regionally complex, however. One region where these temperature variations played an important role in human history is the North Atlantic, where warmer temperatures during the Medieval Climate Anomaly allowed Norse seafaring and colonization of Greenland that began at the end of the 10th century and continued until cooler Little Ice Age conditions developed in the 15th century.

The similarity of characteristics among the different paleoclimate reconstructions of the last 2,000 years provides confidence in the following important conclusions, as reported in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fifth Assessment Report:

• Dramatic warming has occurred since the 19th century.
  • For average annual Northern Hemisphere temperatures, the period 1983–2012 was very likely the warmest 30-year period of the last 800 years and likely the warmest 30-year period of the last 1,400 years.
  • Warmer than average temperatures are more widespread over the Northern Hemisphere since the mid 20th century than in any previous time.

https://www.ncdc.noa...last-2000-years

•  

Blogging at http://RichInvesting.wordpress.com

My swing trades typically last a couple of weeks to a couple of months. 

#314 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

I had to laugh...

Tropical Storm Imelda: Worst in history...except for all the others.

Scientists say climate change is responsible for more intense and more frequent extreme weather such as storms, droughts, floods and fires, but without extensive study they cannot directly link a single weather event to the changing climate.

Imelda was the seventh wettest tropical cyclone in limited, recorded U.S. history.

But much more research money is needed, even though it's already too late to save the world according to the same "experts".

Beware of the U.N. led effort to destroy the industrialized world's leader, the USA.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 September 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#315 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

Are mass shootings the result of this constant climate gloom and doom?

The most recent eco-terrorist mass shooter wrote:

"I have prepared all of my life for a future which doesn't exist."

Schoolchildren hit streets in vast global climate strike...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 September 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#316 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

I was being sarcastic. I am a professional geologist. I had to study stuff like rocks and core samples in unconsolidated sediments and in the ice. Tree rings are only useful for a few hundred years - at most about 1000 but those are rare- most trees don't live long enough to give long term data. I specialized however in fossil forams. All those quadra billions of little animals that went extinct during the Permian Extinction period - and gave us oil. Now the Permian Extinction was climate change for sure. What caused it has been the subject of many theories - one however is becoming a major issue of discussion and is recorded in primarily basaltic lava flows that can be dated, which is somewhat difficult to do but it can be done in some places where we can date lava flows that have sedimentary layers separating them. The flows being studied are sub-oceanic so they are not only difficult to access, its quite an expensive process to obtain these data. The carbon and fossil record contained in the sediment between lava flows can be dated with relative accuracy. When basaltic lava flows cool, the iron rich minerals that have magnetic properties align with the earths magnetic field. That said - they are finding that some lava flows that are believed to have occurred prior to and during the Permian had no alignment. Conclusion - we had a major pole reversal and a long period of time (millions of years) with no magnetic field to shield us from the radiation that bombards our protective magnetic field and shields us from certain death. As a result 70% of all species of plants and animals on the earth became extinct. Those that survived lived below the surface of the earth, or in the depths of the oceans. Surface plants and animals and shallow water species got fried.

Edited by MaryAM, 20 September 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#317 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:07 AM

https://www.scientif...that-the-stren/

#318 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

I get a kick out of The Guardian.

Today's "news" headline: The climate crisis explained in 10 charts

But not all Climate news is bad as they explain the benefits of Non-Polluting, Zero Emmissions electric vehicles replacing "Fossil" Fueled:

Charging-electric-cars.jpg

#319 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#320 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:22 AM

After the "climate change" march

70514153_2713681125317187_5098786604588204032_n.jpg

You would think that they would pick up their trash - send if off to a burn facility - Oh wait that would add CO2 to the atmosphere.  

Edited by MaryAM, 24 September 2019 - 07:22 AM.