My trading plan right now

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#51 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

in my last post i said i felt comfortable going into the weekend 60% long. but i must say now that the condition of this market terrifies me. i dont think we have more than 2-3 weeks to move higher or hold onto current levels. unless we have a buying panic to finish this thing off, i doubt we close above spx 2330 for some time. prices are high but momentum is failing. markets don't plunge from euphoria; they plunge after the euphoria wears off and all the 'smart' people think the sentiment and momentum needs to exceed the prior levels of euphoria, and they never do, and all us "smart" guys get caught waiting for that one last blowoff that never comes. i hope i get it right on that day which comes sometime in the next six months where the market gaps down 50 spx points.  if i am caught on the wrong side that day, i will get out at the open and go with the flow, which will end that day in pure carnage. 

beware the market that looks like it should advance but doesn't, where excessively bullish sentiment has tapered off to levels that were good buying points in the past and where momentum flags; those are the most dangerous.

maybe this scenario doesn't play out any time soon, but i am still watching for it where 2 months of effort is wiped out on the opening.

#52 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

bad opening on futures. hope it doesn't get out of hand. i'm not sticking around to see where this one ends, will get out at the opening, most likely, take my lumps and consider a short. as i wrote in prior post, this market terrifies me.

#53 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

sold down from 60% long to 20% long on open. will likely sell remainder. may get short. 

#54 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

20% short

#55 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

direction, i.e. trend, is all that matters today; magnitude is irrelevant; don't buy long just because the magnitude down is large.

#56 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

40% short

#57 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

45% short. that's enough.

#58 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

the -8 gap down looks so benign now.

#59 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

making money here could be difficult.whipsaws could be violent, and how do you know if it is just a whipsaw or continuance of the trend?

I expect the trend down to continue most of the day; good chance for -40 on spx. do i hold overnite for tuesday opening plunge, then reverse course? that's my best guess for now. 

#60 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Very glad I am not long. We will see if the short can work some more, but the long side is not the place to be. Contrary to my prior post, I am beginning to suspect this may be more here than just a one day wonder. I can offer no consolation for the bullish side right now even if we don't go lower today.