• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:51 AM

#32 claire

claire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

For the record: on Friday June 26 I have taken the NYC subway twice (from outside of Manhattan to Manhattan and back) in rush hours.

I have seen a total of 2 people not wearing a mask a 99.99 pct compliance. One seamed like a young tourist, the other one a local person.

I have decided to carry extra masks and hand them to people not wearing one when I visit Manhattan riding the subway again.

On the streets of Manhattan I saw very few people not wearing a mask. Some wore the mask improperly, not covering their nose,

I guess those people meant to pull it up once they were in a crowded situation.

Outside of Manhattan it is a different story. I live on the border of Brooklyn and Queens and see many people not wearing a mask.

On the weekend only about 2/3 of people I encountered wore a mask. 

As I am close to 80 I am very concerned that the virus will linger on and I won't be able to attend crowded events any more.

What's happening in some of the other parts of the country seems to me like Kool-Aid/Jonestown redux, large swaths of the current population blindly

following their great leader.

Cheers,

F&D

Well said. They are going to Jonestown, but, sadly, this leaves all of us vulnerable as this virus is redistributed in potential waves of destruction.

K-Wave seemed to have just learned that the infection and deaths in NY were greater than anywhere in Europe and Wuhan, but that may be because some here and elsewhere were posting that the NY alarm was a hoax, that the numbers were inflated, that the hospital ERs were empty and the bodies piled in the freezer trucks were staged, that funeral homes weren't overwhelmed and unable to bury the bodies that were piling up while heath care workers were reusing masks and substituting garbage bags for gowns to try to protect themselves and improvising use of alternative sedation because adequate supplies of these as well as other critical supplies weren't available. 

EMS workers were doing double-shifts to try to answer the alarming numbers of 911 calls. These and other helpers were the heroes who risked their lives to save lives with many dying in the process, and New Yorkers were at their windows and front doors applauding and cheering these workers for 5 minutes at 7 p.m., every day, for two months, in Manhattan and elsewhere to thank them for their service. 

So, yes K-wave, pdx and others who minimize the danger, we are doomers and gloomers who are warning and hoping that the rest of the nation doesn't suffer the same fate. Italy warned us. The rest of the world warned us, but we ignored it. We had no strategy for testing and contact tracing that far poorer nations had who did, indeed, control the spread while they were dealing with this before it hit hard in the US. We wasted that advanced warning and ignored the models that were effective. And we are still minimizing it with a helter-skelter non-strategy for protecting Americans.

The expert virologists and epidemiologists knowledgeable about pandemics were accurate in warning of the consequences, but some thought they knew better and denigrated scientific information and expertise. Uninformed opinion has been equated with evidentiary evidence and scientific research.

Fauci is warning again, and once again he is being derided. It has become a political issue and a symbol of macho masculinity not to wear a mask. How insanely juvenile is that? At the moment, hospitals in Florida and Texas are struggling to manage the numbers at their doors. We are now pitied by other nations who find it unfathomable that the wealthiest nation in the world has botched this so badly.

So, yes, I am worried about all the unknowns of this pandemic and whether or not the consequences will be far from the best-case possibilities. Flyers&Divers and pdx, I'm older than each of you and am less concerned about my long life than I am for my children and grandchildren and the rest of the children in this nation, the economic and social consequences, and how we prepare for future pandemics.

Climate change is unleashing more new microbes long dormant in the permafrost which is now melting. It's happening and we need to be prepared to deal with it with major efforts directed to research. If we address future problems as we have this one, the outcome will be dire.

#33 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 25,941 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

And there it is....had to get it in there...climate change..WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

I will be checking out from these threads for a month or so.

Will come back when the hysteria has died down..

In the meantime, have fun worrying yourselves to death

:lol:

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#34 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

I remember when Gov. Cuomo, at the worst of the New York crisis in April, was warning the rest of the country "in a couple of month you will be us."  At the time it sounded like Trump and his ding-dongs not only did not believe him, there was some scoffing going on.

Okay, so it's been a couple of months.

Let's hope in a couple of months from now the country will be New York.

Edited by diogenes227, 01 July 2020 - 12:11 PM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#35 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

From the link:

To reopen and stay safe:

More specifically, states should meet at least five basic criteria. They should see a two-week drop in coronavirus cases, indicating that the virus is actually abating. They should have fewer than four daily new cases per 100,000 people per day — to show that cases aren’t just dropping, but also below dangerous levels. They need at least 150 new tests per 100,000 people per day, letting them quickly track and contain outbreaks. They need an overall positive rate for tests below 5 percent — another critical indicator for testing capacity. And states should have at least 40 percent of their ICU beds free to actually treat an influx of people stricken with Covid-19 should it be necessary.

TWO STATES

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#36 blackcloud

blackcloud

• Traders-Talk User
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:47 AM

K Wave, on 30 Jun 2020 - 5:50 PM, said:snapback.png

Is all this pessimism a New York thing?

Seems to be mostly New Yorkers spreading the doom...

Dr Fauci top virus scientist in country, said today we could soon have 100,000 new virus cases a day

He lives in Washington D.C. His comment was on  all news programs, but maybe you don't see the news, and think he  does not know what he is talking about. Why insult New Yorkers? No one asked where you live.

Is that the same guy that back in March said Do Not Wear Masks??

#37 claire

claire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:04 AM

Dr Fauci top virus scientist in country, said today we could soon have 100,000 new virus cases a day

He lives in Washington D.C. His comment was on  all news programs, but maybe you don't see the news, and think he  does not know what he is talking about. Why insult New Yorkers? No one asked where you live.

Yes, on March 20th, in an interview on "60 Minutes," Fauci said:  "“Right now in the United States people should not be walking around with masks. You should think of healthcare providers who are needing them and the people who are ill.” This is a precise quotation of his comment.

At this point, there weren't sufficient masks available for healthcare workers and patients because we had woefully inadequate supplies of all PPE which endangered hospital personnel, EMS workers, and other workers who wouldn't be able to care for the deluge of sick people if not properly protected.

Search for images of hospital workers improvising PPE so they can keep working while endangering their lives. Also search for images of what PPE looked like in Asia at the time, with bodysuits and highly protective gear for hospital personnel while this nation still didn't have a sufficient supply of masks for these workers. The death rate for Asian healthcare workers was far lower than in the U.S. Are you aware of that?

Soon after, Fauci did urge people to wear masks or make their own, socially distance, and not to buy N95 masks that continued to be in such short supply and so urgently needed. 

Reference to that statement by Fauci without context is a fallacious attempt to malign his credibility and a distraction from the gross mismanageship of this crises.

#38 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:39 AM

Claire  You have the facts and can keep them straight.

#39 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

Yes, on March 20th, in an interview on "60 Minutes," Fauci said:  "“Right now in the United States people should not be walking around with masks. You should think of healthcare providers who are needing them and the people who are ill.” This is a precise quotation of his comment.

At this point, there weren't sufficient masks available for healthcare workers and patients because we had woefully inadequate supplies of all PPE which endangered hospital personnel, EMS workers, and other workers who wouldn't be able to care for the deluge of sick people if not properly protected.

Search for images of hospital workers improvising PPE so they can keep working while endangering their lives. Also search for images of what PPE looked like in Asia at the time, with bodysuits and highly protective gear for hospital personnel while this nation still didn't have a sufficient supply of masks for these workers. The death rate for Asian healthcare workers was far lower than in the U.S. Are you aware of that?

Soon after, Fauci did urge people to wear masks or make their own, socially distance, and not to buy N95 masks that continued to be in such short supply and so urgently needed. 

Reference to that statement by Fauci without context is a fallacious attempt to malign his credibility and a distraction from the gross mismanageship of this crises.

Claire  You have the facts and can keep them straight.

Yes, greatly appreciate your diligence and clear-headed posts.

flowers.gif

#40 claire

claire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

Thank you diogenes227 and traderx. I didn't expect to win a popularity contest on this message board in posting my views and held back for a long time when reading comments that were not factual about this topic. I anticipated strong resistance from some with opposing views, but I hoped that the discussion wouldn't be personalized and that comments would be informed and well-reasoned, reflecting decent critical thinking skills. Cheap shots, put-downs, and cliches reveal a great deal about the speaker, none of which is flattering. Thanks for your kind comments.