Photo

THE PRIMARY WAVE THREE thread and finding the Intermediate wave TWO corrective low

• Please log in to reply
2512 replies to this topic

#2081 jabat

jabat

• Traders-Talk User
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 01:38 PM

Avi says. . . 

Sentiment Speaks: Dangerous Position If You Are Bullish Gold

Aug. 26, 2021 8:00 AM 

Summary

A metals bull is sounding an alarm for a potentially bearish decline.

We currently have a setup developing that can provide a big hit to the metals market.

I outline the parameters for this potential decline below.

This idea was discussed in more depth with members of my private investing community, The Market Pinball Wizard. Learn More »

Vertigo3d/E+ via Getty Images

My mother used to say that if you can’t say something nice, you should not say anything at all. And, to be honest, that is the main reason I have not written anything regarding the metal’s complex for some time, as there have been no solid bullish set ups yet to be seen.

But, what has made me consider writing this update is that there is a dangerous set up in place that can take us down a lot further than many probably expect right now. The analogy that I gave to my subscribers is that the metal’s bulls are down 3-0 in a seven-game series right now.

I am going to keep this update rather simple. Moreover, I am going to use GDX as my proxy for this analysis, since the structure is most clearly seen in that chart.

Last week’s low is of utmost importance. Moreover, GDX MUST hold the 31-31.35 region and begin a rally that takes it through 33.85 in order to complete a 5-wave rally off last week’s low. If it fails to do so by either rolling over immediately below 31, and following through below 30.64, or by rallying up towards 33.85 and then rolling over before completing a 5-wave rally, then it opens a trap door pointing it as deep as the 21 region. Yes, you heard me right - this is not a typo. And, should we break down below 30, then our resistance will be 31.50 on any bounces thereafter. But, should that resistance hold, 21 is a very realistic target.

You see, last month, GDX had a bullish set up to break out and finally begin a rally to 50+. And, I was personally waiting for that set up to trigger before I turned aggressively bullish the complex (and before I would even write an article). But, with the drop we saw a few weeks ago, the market invalidated that immediate bullish set up, and has now provided us with a much more immediate bearish set up.

As I have said before, when the market does not follow our primary expectation, it forces us to immediately move towards our alternative expectation - our contingency plan, if you will. And, this allows us to protect our positions so that we do not incur significant losses.

I will not likely be publicly updating anything further on metals for at least the next month, as I am quite busy with our members and with the high holidays that are coming around the corner. If you want further detailed analysis on how to navigate this treacherous zone, you can feel free to join us at The Market Pinball Wizard for a free trial. But, I simply will not have any time to do further public metals updates in the coming month or so.

So, I guess you can consider this my warning to all those who are uber-bullish, and believing that inflation is going to be the savior for the gold market. Think again. And, should this downside set up trigger over the coming week or two, then it should put some fear in those who believe we are fighting inflation, as gold is supposed to be rallying during inflationary periods, at least according to those folks.

As for me, I do not hold to such fallacies. In fact, I have strongly questioned the inflationary argument since we have seen lumber come crashing down, interest rates rising and the dollar rising, among other signs. This should not be happening if we had true inflation.

But, to be honest, I abandoned economics many moons ago to determine market direction, and this is despite my holding a degree in economics. I mean, if we consider that economists have only recently proclaimed the economy is no longer in recession, especially after a 2000-point rally off the March 2020 low, well, need I say more about the usefulness of economists in determining market direction?

Of course, I cannot tell you how this will certainly play out. The bulls can come back and win 4 games in a row by providing me with an impulsive 5-wave rally at any point from now, and then I will certainly reconsider any near-term potential downside structures. But, until such time, consider this a warning to you bulls to stay safe, and be careful. The set up that is in place at the moment is a bit dangerous to the long side over the coming months. Trade this carefully.

#2082 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 01:46 PM

well that was fast, GDXJ/SILJ new rally highs already, next key near term Q is whether this is a wave 3 or C with these new rally highs off recent major decline lows. I clearly favor its a near term wave 3 meaning is should continue with only brief pauses/pullbacks today IMO. Therefore stops now raised to a decent bit above today's lows, so far Elvis is fine form!yes.gif

Senor

wow

amazing trading.

3 or C it is

and stops "officially" at this mornings lows, on most stuff I own will be higher than that - absolutely no excuses time and its gotta keep going with minimal pullbacks IMO if bullish (wave 3 norte) as I "currently" favor. No time to be complacent either way!!!

Senor

#2083 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

Avi says. . . 

Summary

We currently have a setup developing that can provide a big hit to the metals market.

This idea was discussed in more depth with members of my private investing community, The Market Pinball Wizard. Learn More »

My mother used to say that if you can’t say something nice, you should not say anything at all. And, to be honest, that is the main reason I have not written anything regarding the metal’s complex for some time, as there have been no solid bullish set ups yet to be seen.

But, what has made me consider writing this update is that there is a dangerous set up in place that can take us down a lot further than many probably expect right now. The analogy that I gave to my subscribers is that the metal’s bulls are down 3-0 in a seven-game series right now.

I am going to keep this update rather simple. Moreover, I am going to use GDX as my proxy for this analysis, since the structure is most clearly seen in that chart.

Last week’s low is of utmost importance. Moreover, GDX MUST hold the 31-31.35 region and begin a rally that takes it through 33.85 in order to complete a 5-wave rally off last week’s low. If it fails to do so by either rolling over immediately below 31, and following through below 30.64, or by rallying up towards 33.85 and then rolling over before completing a 5-wave rally, then it opens a trap door pointing it as deep as the 21 region. Yes, you heard me right - this is not a typo. And, should we break down below 30, then our resistance will be 31.50 on any bounces thereafter. But, should that resistance hold, 21 is a very realistic target.

You see, last month, GDX had a bullish set up to break out and finally begin a rally to 50+. And, I was personally waiting for that set up to trigger before I turned aggressively bullish the complex (and before I would even write an article). But, with the drop we saw a few weeks ago, the market invalidated that immediate bullish set up, and has now provided us with a much more immediate bearish set up.

As I have said before, when the market does not follow our primary expectation, it forces us to immediately move towards our alternative expectation - our contingency plan, if you will. And, this allows us to protect our positions so that we do not incur significant losses.

I will not likely be publicly updating anything further on metals for at least the next month, as I am quite busy with our members and with the high holidays that are coming around the corner. If you want further detailed analysis on how to navigate this treacherous zone, you can feel free to join us at The Market Pinball Wizard for a free trial. But, I simply will not have any time to do further public metals updates in the coming month or so.

So, I guess you can consider this my warning to all those who are uber-bullish, and believing that inflation is going to be the savior for the gold market. Think again. And, should this downside set up trigger over the coming week or two, then it should put some fear in those who believe we are fighting inflation, as gold is supposed to be rallying during inflationary periods, at least according to those folks.

As for me, I do not hold to such fallacies. In fact, I have strongly questioned the inflationary argument since we have seen lumber come crashing down, interest rates rising and the dollar rising, among other signs. This should not be happening if we had true inflation.

But, to be honest, I abandoned economics many moons ago to determine market direction, and this is despite my holding a degree in economics. I mean, if we consider that economists have only recently proclaimed the economy is no longer in recession, especially after a 2000-point rally off the March 2020 low, well, need I say more about the usefulness of economists in determining market direction?

Of course, I cannot tell you how this will certainly play out. The bulls can come back and win 4 games in a row by providing me with an impulsive 5-wave rally at any point from now, and then I will certainly reconsider any near-term potential downside structures. But, until such time, consider this a warning to you bulls to stay safe, and be careful. The set up that is in place at the moment is a bit dangerous to the long side over the coming months. Trade this carefully.

His analysis sorta aligns with what I have been commenting on this morning about "now or never" time and having tight stops. However, I think I have a much more bullish bias then he seems to at this time given the technicals and wave patterns as I see them but I'd likely move toward his negative viewpoint IF todays lows are broken and especially the recent decline lows - don't think that happens but we will see 

Senor

#2084 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

Key near term day for me, if my 5 up count in GDX/GDXJ off the lows is correct IMO wave 2 declines should likely have ended this morning so we should rally hard, any decline significantly below this mornings lows in GDX/GDXJ and I will exit most or all lomgs, as always DYODD

Senor

decline significantly below this mornings lows in GDX/GDXJ and I will exit most or all lomgs, as always DYODD

could do one more fake out low around 1720 right? but best to be out?

#2085 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:46 PM

Avi says. . . 

Summary

well he could be right. but this is the sort of fear that a baby bulls lives on

#2086 CHAx

CHAx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

COT data shows gold longs by small specs still dropping.   Far below March lows!  This bull leg should have room to run.

https://www.cotbase.com

Neutral sentiment here as well:

https://www.tradersp...Trend/sentiment

Edited by CHAx, 28 August 2021 - 07:47 AM.

#2087 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 01:30 PM

Avi says. . . 

Summary

The hedge.... " The bulls can come back and win 4 games in a row by providing me with an impulsive 5-wave rally at any point from now, and then I will certainly reconsider any near-term potential downside structures."

"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#2088 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:20 AM

did a little trimming and sold 10% pre-market a bit higher than Friday's closess, about 40% long and have tightened stops again as this has to be a wave 3 higher IF bullish, as always DYODD

Senor

#2089 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:20 AM

some fairly tight stops hit, now down to about 20% long, IF this is a wave 2 of 3 near term it needs to and rally hard, if not an abc rally could have ended this morning and that ain't good if correct, we see

Senor

#2090 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:28 AM

that low on aug 10 was the low in gld imho this sector is ridiculously undervalued just my take

feeling mellow with the yellow metal