NIO

-6.11% 
XPEV
-3.73% 
LI
-3.64% 
RIVN
+2.52% 

The second-largest U.S. pension by assets bought  up shares of four electric-vehicle 
makers as 2021 was coming to a close. Unfortunately, they all have slumped so far 
in 2022.

The California State Teachers’ Retirement System more than tripled holdings in three 
Chinese EV makers— NIO (ticker: NIO ), XPeng ( XPEV ), and Li Auto ( LI )—and bought 
shares of U.S. electric-truck maker Rivian Automotive ( RIVN ), which had an initial 
public offering in November. Calstrs, as the pension is known, disclosed the trades, 
among others, in a form it filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Calstrs didn’t offer a comment on the investment changes. 
12:42 PM 2/20/2022It managed assets of $327.6 billion as of Dec. 31.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 01:07 PM

Dirty Secrets Of ‘Clean’ Electric Vehicles Started by Rogerdodger, 04 Aug 2020

If we replace all of the UK vehicle fleet with EVs,  assuming they use the most resource-frugal next-generation batteries, we would need the following materials: about twice the annual global production of cobalt; three quarters of the world’s production lithium carbonate; nearly the entire world production of neodymium; and more than half the world’s production of copper in 2018. And this is just for the UK.

We are already pushing the existing electric grid to the limit.

That does not even consider where all of this "New Electricity" will come from!

Most likely it will be "fossil fuels" or nuclear power plants,  with their eventual radiation disasters.

Maybe we will all be using gas generators at home to power our "carbon free" EV!  LOL!

WSJ: "The market for backup generators, microgrids and solar-plus-battery-storage systems is booming as homeowners and businesses grapple with a less reliable electric grid."

When you disregard reality, you can see beautiful unicorns and fairies everywhere you look...Except at the gas station.

Shock gas price hikes spur states to pursue tax relief...

California’s Green-Energy Subsidies Spur a Gold Rush in Cow Manure

A lucrative state incentive to make natural gas from dairy waste is attracting companies from Amazon to Chevron

By 2035, the chief automakers will have turned away from the internal combustion engine. It’ll be up to the grid to fuel all those new cars, trucks and buses.
This "carbon-free" power can help juice up a whole fleet of sleek vehicles that aim to leave the internal combustion engine behind.

But that’s on a good day. Even now — before this state and the country’s grand ambitions for an electric future are fully in motion — there are too many bad ones.

Seventy-four times last year, the wind across Upstate New York dropped so low that for stretches of eight hours or more barely any electricity was produced. Nearly half the year, the main transmission line feeding the metropolitan area was at full capacity, so that no more power could be fed into it. Congestion struck other, smaller lines, too, and when that happened some of the wind turbine blades upstate fell still.

PS: Please ignore the tremendous environmental damage caused by rare earth mining for battery elements.

China Wrestles with the Toxic Aftermath of Rare Earth Mining

The mining has dumped excessive amounts of ammonia and nitrogen compounds into the region’s ground and surface water. Other pollutants, such as cadmium and lead, also are released during the mining process; long-term exposure to these metals poses health risks.

In addition, rare earth mining done near uranium deposits has also led to radioactive material clinging to the elements in some areas, according to Xiang Huang, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Waterloo in Canada, who studied the environmental and health impacts from rare earth mining while earning his PhD at Beijing University.

“The end impact,” Huang said, “could be on the central nervous system, cancers like bone cancer, skin cancer, and cardiovascular and respiratory issues.”

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 February 2022 - 01:48 PM.

#3 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 03:57 PM

LOL Rogerdodger... may be time to short Tesla, but it is already down from 1200's to under 900.

There was an accident on I-95 a few weeks back in S Caroline or Georgia, I forget which, and the Interstate was shut down for several hours. It was a cold evening, the battery powered cars exhausted battery power, could not keep passengers warm, and those hapless passengers were wandering the shoulder begging truck drivers to let them in to thaw out their frozen bodies.

So, if your petrol powered car runs out of fuel, all it takes is a can of petrol delivery to get going. Not that easy with battery powered cars. Those need a tow to a charging station to get back in action. And note there are like 10,000 times more places to buy petrol compared to number of charging stations. 

Edited by pdx5, 20 February 2022 - 03:58 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 05:19 PM

LOL Rogerdodger... may be time to short Tesla, but it is already down from 1200's to under 900.

There was an accident on I-95 a few weeks back in S Caroline or Georgia, I forget which, and the Interstate was shut down for several hours. It was a cold evening, the battery powered cars exhausted battery power, could not keep passengers warm, and those hapless passengers were wandering the shoulder begging truck drivers to let them in to thaw out their frozen bodies.

So, if your petrol powered car runs out of fuel, all it takes is a can of petrol delivery to get going. Not that easy with battery powered cars. Those need a tow to a charging station to get back in action. And note there are like 10,000 times more places to buy petrol compared to number of charging stations. 

The Republicans will nit pick every little issue with EV's, they support big oil. Big oil has always treated America great haven't they? 

#5 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 07:14 PM

The Republicans will nit pick every little issue with EV's, they support big oil. Big oil has always treated America great haven't they? 

I never check my voter registration card when I buy a car. It is STRICTLY PERSONAL choice. 

My ICE (internal combustion engine) cars have served me magnificently for 60 years. 

Until petrol supplies run out, ICE cars are the best option based on cost of operating my cars.

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 11:22 PM

Republicans will nit pick every little issue with EV's,

You are right.

Little issues?... like not enough electricity to charge a car unless you use CARBON fuel!!!

You offer no solution for the lack of energy sources when oil is eliminated.

PS: Who is the "Republican" you refer to? You are conflating intelligence and logic with politics.

You don't seem to care about the pollution caused by EV mining operations. 

Typical.

gas-meme.jpg

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 February 2022 - 11:35 PM.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 06:10 PM

Got JUICE?

The U.S. Has A Battery Problem That Could Turn Into A National Security Threat

“China could shut down the world’s electric vehicle transition for political reasons,” Jeffrey Wilson, research director of the Perth USAsia Centre at the University of Western Australia, told CNN Business. “As of today, there’d be nothing we could do to stop that in the short term.”

Wilson pointed to the possibility of China restricting exports of lithium hydroxide to give its domestic electric battery and vehicle manufacturers an advantage. (Lithium hydroxide, which is critical for batteries, is largely processed in China.) He said that a 2010 incident when China restricted Japanese access to rare earth minerals during a dispute between the countries showed the risk isn’t out of the question..