OT : for Rogerdodger - James Webb telescope

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 09:03 AM

Hey Roger.......is it true that the images coming from the James Webb telescope are destroying the big bang theory ? They say the telescope is looking at a distance which corresponds to the first 

phases of the birth of Universe more or less, where galaxies shouldn't exist because density should be very little and instead James Webb is sending images of high density galaxies. I have seen something in internet, 

but it is not still very clear to me what's going on. For sure it would be funny........a theory given for almost sure..........tumbling down. Fantastic........when phisics becomes philosophy every theory is true.  

Edited by andr99, 17 October 2023 - 09:06 AM.

forever and only a V-E-N-E-T-K-E-N - langbard

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:09 PM

When all the kids in High School were reading A Tale Of Two Cities, I was reading Physics and taking Latin. I am so confused now!

My teacher: Steven Wright! LOL!

Steven-Wright-Speed-of-Light.jpg

PS:

There once was a lady named Bright

Who could travel far faster than Light!

She set out one day, In a relative way,

and came back the previous night!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 17 October 2023 - 08:27 PM.

#3 colion

colion

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 10:18 PM

No, the Big Bang theory is not 'broken.' Here's how we know.

https://www.space.co...-bang-explained

#4 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 03:45 AM

the big bang theory is based on the assumption that the universe is expanding. If it is expanding, going back in time there must have been a moment when the whole existing matter was stored in a single point. 

Obviously there is no proof of that apart a radiation that they call the remaining noise of that big bang they substain, radiation that might be an effect coming from everything else that we don't know. The interesting part 

is that if you deny the assumption that the universe is expanding, like some say, the whole theory rolls down to the ground. In my opinion, we are condemned to a limited knowledge of universe, because we have no instruments that let us know it better and we will never have. The universe is too big for us and for our efforts to understand. 

Edited by andr99, 18 October 2023 - 03:51 AM.

#5 SteveB

SteveB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 12:35 PM

My thermodynamics professor in college discussed the second law of thermodynamics, which essentially states a system will degenerate in the direction of more disorder or increased entropy. Energy is lost in the process since nothing is 100% efficient. If you assume that, then to return the system to the beginning of time would require an infinite amount of energy. We can't comprehend this with science alone, with our current understanding of the laws of physics. It does make a good discussion topic while having some beers with friends. 

#6 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 03:42 PM

Einstein used to say : ''two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidness, but about the universe I'm not sure''...............cosmology is all about conjectures 

#7 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 01:28 PM

errata corrige........well known cosmologists say the big bang is contemplated by mathematical equations, so it is not pure conjecture as I thought. No one believed the black holes really existed although their existance was contemplated by Einstein's theory of relativity. Then someone demonstrated their existance by observation. For a strange reason it seems that we have a tool which lets us go beyond our phisical limits and that tool is mathematics.