• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 01:11 PM

I was just watching Fox Business TV and the economist from Parthenon showed a chart of card board box demand plummeting to 2009 levels. Is this a reliable indicator?

May be they are shipping more stuff in plastic bags ( I get a lot of those) or may be the recycling of cardboard boxes is distorting these numbers. However the demand was high in 2022. And nose dived in 2023.  

Edited by pdx5, 27 October 2023 - 01:14 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,024 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 02:05 PM

I still get a lot in cardboard. But we still buy a lot of stuff from AMZN.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 02:22 PM

I still get a lot in cardboard. But we still buy a lot of stuff from AMZN.

No kidding, it is a major chore for me to cut up huge card board boxes to place them in recycle container, every week. 

Walmart delivery is free if order > $35. And their prices are competitive with Amazon. 

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 02:56 PM

I'm not really surprised by this as I keep getting calls lately from my box supplier looking for new business.

Best thing about this though is that prices should start going down to meet the lesser demand.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,874 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 03:08 PM

The last few cruises that I was on we kept seeing huge cargo ships heading south. (To Panama Canal likely)

I was told they were mostly loaded with cardboard headed back to China for recycling, To be shipped back to Amazon full of products.

Boxes also make great homes for the ever increasing homelessness.

Boxes.jpg

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 October 2023 - 03:27 PM.

#6 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 03:16 PM

I was just watching Fox Business TV and the economist from Parthenon showed a chart of card board box demand plummeting to 2009 levels. Is this a reliable indicator?

May be they are shipping more stuff in plastic bags ( I get a lot of those) or may be the recycling of cardboard boxes is distorting these numbers. However the demand was high in 2022. And nose dived in 2023.  

No, many Fox News viewers will be living in card board boxes soon.

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 03:20 PM

And CNN and MSNBC and the Associated Press and the New York Times and the Washington Post and Reuters and the BBC...the list goes on and on.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 03:27 PM

And CNN and MSNBC and the Associated Press and the New York Times and the Washington Post and Reuters and the BBC...the list goes on and on.

Fib

One thing I could thin of the financial crisis decline in cardboard was due to the housing bust, ther was a lot of moving going on then there wasn't.

#9 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 04:26 PM

So here is the thing.   We do a lot of Amazon, and I can say we get the same amount of stuff but more things are coming in plastic and paper durable envelops, so it doesn't surprise me less cardboard.   Also, I do think people are ordering less on line.   Costco and Sams are busier than ever.

#10 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 05:31 AM

Fib

One thing I could thin of the financial crisis decline in cardboard was due to the housing bust, ther was a lot of moving going on then there wasn't.

Sellers are reluctant to sell.

Prices have suddenly dropped from what they were last year and 

They can't afford to buy next house at 7.7+% mortgage interest. 

Job market is still strong, that is the key.