• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 01:09 AM

I just saw this on Market Watch:

What does Berkshire Hathaway’s $150 billion in cash say about Warren Buffett’s view of stocks now?  

Last Updated: Jan. 22, 2024

.I'm in cash too.  But not quite that much...yet.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 January 2024 - 01:12 AM.

#2 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:42 PM

The truth about Buffett is this, Berkshire Hathaway made most of its fortune NOT in the stock market, but in reinsurance.  Take it from me, a recently retired Actuary with 21 years in the reinsurance industry.  The fortunes he’s amassed in reinsurance are tremendous.  Reinsurance is what ALL insurance are involved in.  Readers Digest explanation, P&C Insurance companies have to offset their risk or else a slew of claims would bankrupt them. They either sell off their risk portfolios to reinsurance companies like Berkshire who insure the portfolio against catastrophic events (like Hurricanes for instance) or they invest their collected premiums off shore, tax free and use these accounts to pay future claims. Recall when Berkshire reported large losses as a result of 911?  The damage from then twin towers falling cost Berkshire billions of dollars as that was a one time catastrophic event the reinsurance company wasn’t prepared for.