DVD recorder $79

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

Ok, I'm not a techno geek. I don't have an IPOD. Or a bluetooth. I have watched about 5 dvd's in my entire life. Last year when Santa asked me what I wanted, all I could think of was a dvd player/recorder. They were around $300. Santa said I would have to pay for it myself so I waited till this year. I bought one at Best Buy for $79. :D They will be $19 in a year or so. I have started transferring my old VHS home movies before the tape goes bad. Now I have watched 6 dvds. I think I will transfer my old Roy Clark 8 track tapes soon.

#2 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder last week. I've got about 40 or so VHS tapes that I need to convert. Does anyone know what PC software I need to buy to edit the DVDs that I create from the tapes? I want to pull scenes from several DVDs and create a new DVD. My computer can read/write DVDs. Rich

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

I was thinking about doing the same thing.
For now, I'm just going to make a copy without any editing.
Later maybe.
On a trip to CompUSA, I saw several offerings of video software..
You need plenty of ram, at least 1 meg.

Here's a review from the Videoguys:

Here are my recommended guidelines for a minimum system configuration that will leave you very satisfied without breaking the bank.
  • 2.4 + Ghz Hyper-Threaded P4 processor or Dual 1.8 Ghz P4/ Athlon
  • 512+ Megs of RAM
  • A dedicated 7200 RPM drive for video (can be EIDE, FireWire, SCSI or Serial ATA)
  • A decent 3D graphics card with 64+ Megs of RAM. (I recommend a dual head card - once you go dual you'll never go back)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 21 December 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#4 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

I was thinking about doing the same thing.
For now, I'm just going to make a copy without any editing.
Later maybe.
On a trip to CompUSA, I saw several offerings of video software..
You need plenty of ram, at least 1 meg.

Here's a review from the Videoguys:

Here are my recommended guidelines for a minimum system configuration that will leave you very satisfied without breaking the bank.

• 2.4 + Ghz Hyper-Threaded P4 processor or Dual 1.8 Ghz P4/ Athlon
  • 512+ Megs of RAM
  • A dedicated 7200 RPM drive for video (can be EIDE, FireWire, SCSI or Serial ATA)
  • A decent 3D graphics card with 64+ Megs of RAM. (I recommend a dual head card - once you go dual you'll never go back)

I'm okay on the hardware. It's the software that I wonder about. I've never done this before so I need something written for dummies :D

Rich

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

Power Director @ $79 is highly rated at this site: Video Editing

But I don't know anything about this site.
It could be a shill for the software.

#6 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

Ok, I'm not a techno geek. I don't have an IPOD. Or a bluetooth.
I have watched about 5 dvd's in my entire life.
Last year when Santa asked me what I wanted, all I could think of was a dvd player/recorder.
They were around $300. Santa said I would have to pay for it myself so I waited till this year.

I bought one at Best Buy for $79. :D
They will be $19 in a year or so.

I have started transferring my old VHS home movies before the tape goes bad.
Now I have watched 6 dvds.

I think I will transfer my old Roy Clark 8 track tapes soon.

Roger--------What kind of hardware are you using to output the VHS data
to your computer?

TIA

pdx
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

Roger--------What kind of hardware are you using to output the VHS data
to your computer?

I found two or three products at BestBuy for about $100 each which included software and hardware to transfer tape to a computer. But after looking at the system requirements, I didn't feel like I had the required ram on my computer to do the editing.
So I bought the $79 DVD recorder/player which connects directly to the TV/VCR via RCA jacks or s-video or coax.
No computer involved.
I figure I can edit the DVD's later when I upgrade to a new computer.
My priority was just to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD.
I also have a miniDV camcorder which I can connect directly to the DVD recorder.
It did a beautiful job of copying our curise to Cozumel last week.
So I'm happy.

#8 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:44 AM

Sony does make a DVD recorder with VHS player in one machine. You can transfer from one format to another without any software at all.....
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#9 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

Sony does make a DVD recorder with VHS player in one machine. You can transfer from one format to another without any software at all.....

Yes. I think the Panasonic (DMR-ES45V) that I bought will do that. It's more expensive than the system Roger bought, however. It will replace my old (and failing) DVD and VHS players in addition to being able to write to both formats.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 22 December 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#10 isayso

isayso

• Traders-Talk User
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

Roger what was the brand of recorder?
Last Christmas RadioShack had there in house brand for the $89...

http://www.radioshac.....0.00 - $99.99

I've seen Ilo's(?) at Wal-Mart... LG's at Sears.... Strange names... How can you tell if these asian machines will be running in a couple of years?

How long do you think VHS tape will last?
I've recorded 100's of car reviews on VHS from back in the 80's (MotorWeek on PBS)...
Strange hobby I know....

Have a great holiday everyone!