• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

This is a market where the breath has been misleading since the composition of many small cap indices have been weighted by the inflationary and late bull market issues. No more small tech or financial companies leading the rallies since the rates have been considerably high and the only reason why the rates have been high is the excess liquidity lately...

We came to this juncture where the spread in between the 5 yr bonds and credit growth is narrowing down to the levels where a market correction starts. For me, the best indication of the market direction has been the commercial credit growth. The world economy is so industrialized that the small investors' money don't matter, the savings don't matter, the cash level of the funds don't matter since everything has to be financed to produce a competetive product and create the real earnings.

The real earnings or the economic profits will drive the growth, the spending and stock market gains via the corporate buybacks, increases in the 401k savings that will eventually flow into the markets, but the spread in between the commercial credit growth rate and the bond market will always lead the economy by a clear 9 months. I call this "the liquidity spread", I don't know whether this was studied in the exact way I did in the literature, I am sure somebody did somewhere. I learned that some track the spread in between the junk yields and the treasuries yields, but these did not really give me enough correlations about the amount of liquidity flowing into the markets out there, but my research goes on...

The liquidity spread can grow either by increased economic activity, strong growth, or reduced financing costs, or lower interest rates. When the commercial borrowing increases and the interest rates are relatively high, you have to be aware that it is an inflationary blow off. Similarly, when the rates are low and the commercial borrowing increases, it is a bear market or correction bottom. The interest rates are driven by the currency rates, when the currency is weak, you can not expect the interest rates to come down significantly, instead you have to watch whether the liquidity out there is capable to grow through borrowing or the inflation that begets more inflation...

The speculation comes when the spread grows much faster than the 5 yr bond yields forecasts the inflation. It is a natural phenomenon, people will always abuse the system. Do not blame it on the bulls or the bears. I also believe that the bearishness has to do with the free cash the people have, while the bullishness has to do with the easy credit. When the people are bullish in the United States, you can bet they are abusing the easy credit and that they are getting burried in debt. While the bearishness increases when the rates go up and they can hardly pay that debt...

Given this knowledge, why the market itself don't act on this liquidity spread when it turns? Simple, there is not enough money created yet. However, the market will probably turn around abruptly when this liquidity spread starts to increase since it means new liquidity is being and will be created and eventually the compounding effect will trigger and feed onto itself. This is how the financing based economies work, do not be scared of the debt as long as you can grow faster and keep the inflation under the control, this is the premise...

I've been posting many examples about the liquidity spread and predicting the IT top by March --since we still don't know yet whether it is in and the energy didn't still break down, but I don't know why it is the dominant 9 months (40 wks) similar to the Hurst cycles and not 7 or 10, it is not perfect but I believe this might be the response rate of the economy and it also explains why the stock market leads the economy by about 6 months at least. It has momentum and cyclical components and strong intermediate term implications.

Once the liquidity spread starts to change, I look at the sector rotations to understand whether the liquidity is producing real growth or rather mostly inflation.

Here's how I track the S&P's 9 major sectors. The financials and the consumer discretionary reacts to the lower rates or inflation first. This is the most profitable phase due to the significant growth opportunities in the liquidity spread. Whether the rates are low or not compared to the inflation, the next economic sector to benefit from the liquidity spread is the technology, it marks the beginning of the true bull trends since the technology lowers the cost and increases the efficiency and extends the lifespan of the bull markets.

The industrial indices and the service sectors start to outperform later as the technology starts to fade off and these are generally inflationary issues. The financials should generally start to underperform from this point on. The industrial sectors will increase the resource utilization while the salary increases in the service jobs will be generally permanently inflationary until a recession or deflation takes place. So, the material and energy sectors and the health care sectors usually rally at the end of the bull markets and mark the inflationary tops.

It is important to track the last significant economic sector or utilities during the declines, if the utilities decline with the corrections, they usually mean reduced resource utilization and less need for energy etc, this usually signals a recession or extended correction. The cycle starts again when the financials starts to outperform the markets. This usually coincides again with the lower rates and the increasing liquidity spread.

Technically, it is also important to notice that the sector structure is a fractal pattern that will repeat at the lower time frames, but the randomness will also increase due to the news or out of the ordinary events. These are better tracked by the frequency and phase changes in the cyclical tools for the market timing purposes according to my observation.

I have only one consistent observation about the options market. The market will tend to close above the dollar weighted median prices of the open interest (max pain) during the uptrends and below it during the downtrends. But I would look at the months ahead, not to the front month since it is mostly used for hedging. The max pain only makes sense in terms of the changes and not in the absolute amounts, so I only observe the change of the spread in between the current prices and max pain points and the changes in the open interest whether it occurs in the direction of the major trend. When you see a lot of volume in the options and not much change or a decline in the open interest, that's usually a warning about a pending trend change...

In the longest time frames, the tech topped in 2000 and we are seeing the top of the commodity and resource issues since last May. If the utilities correct significantly over the next several months, you can bet that the bear market that has been going on, whether some of the indices are making new highs or not since 2000, will end with a deflation with or without a strong bounce or new highs into 2008-2009. Otherwise, this major trading range since 2000 will continue until the techs find their true bottom and increase the economic profits exponentially again. I find the current consumer products not significantly improving the economic profits such as lower energy costs, more productive hours or other revolutionarily better factors than it did in the last decade.

My guess is a major low will come around 2012-2013 for the multi-decade bull market or at the 9 yr cycle low of the Hurst Cycles, you may call it the beginning of the 3 of 3 or whatever. We have talked about these several times, they are all in the archives. In the mean time, I believe the harder the indices try to escape with these inflationary blow offs, the harder they will fall back and this market has certainly tried too much of the former lately...

About the crash calls for 2007, it will not come before the market exhausts all of its inflationary powers or the breath deterioration. I think even if the market corrects in the IT sense until April around 5-6% on the SPX basis, it will still take several weeks after that until the breath makes a divergent top (lower or higher high) around early May. I think a decline can severely accelerate if the liquidity spread does not turn around significantly by a summer bottom around 12% discount from the current prices or 1270-1280 on the SPX basis. Then, perhaps a crash thereafter, but I don't think a 20-30% decline is in the cards right here, I consider it as the lower odds. Ideally, I am predicting an AB=CD symmetric decline toward 12% until the middle to late summer and about 3-4% bounce from early April until May.

In any case, the volatility will expand or the entire hedge fund industry that is most active in the derivatives market and provide significant price stability will completely migrate to London, they will not let that happen... :)

Finally, why did I post all of this? Well, the time passes, the needs change and I might go away for a long time from the board with the approaching birthday of our second baby. Don't think that I am leaving the good fight, hell not! I learned a lot here, but my conclusion is the pure technical analysis is somewhat a woodoo when not considered in the proper economic context whatever style you use. After all, the composite price (or index) patterns are only the ripples at the surface of the big economic ocean, try to understand the waters, before surfing its waves...

Agree or disagree, just make sure to comment!!!

Good luck,
- kisa

#2 Net

Net

• Traders-Talk User
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

Best wishes with the new addition. :D Very well written, articulate, and generous; a great contribution to everyone here. Many thanks. Good for study. This post should be in Investor's University with all it's information.

#3 mcleert

mcleert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

This is a market where the breath has been misleading since the composition of many small cap indices have been weighted by the inflationary and late bull market issues. No more small tech or financial companies leading the rallies since the rates have been considerably high and the only reason why the rates have been high is the excess liquidity lately...

We came to this juncture where the spread in between the 5 yr bonds and credit growth is narrowing down to the levels where a market correction starts. For me, the best indication of the market direction has been the commercial credit growth. The world economy is so industrialized that the small investors' money don't matter, the savings don't matter, the cash level of the funds don't matter since everything has to be financed to produce a competetive product and create the real earnings.

The real earnings or the economic profits will drive the growth, the spending and stock market gains via the corporate buybacks, increases in the 401k savings that will eventually flow into the markets, but the spread in between the commercial credit growth rate and the bond market will always lead the economy by a clear 9 months. I call this "the liquidity spread", I don't know whether this was studied in the exact way I did in the literature, I am sure somebody did somewhere. I learned that some track the spread in between the junk yields and the treasuries yields, but these did not really give me enough correlations about the amount of liquidity flowing into the markets out there, but my research goes on...

The liquidity spread can grow either by increased economic activity, strong growth, or reduced financing costs, or lower interest rates. When the commercial borrowing increases and the interest rates are relatively high, you have to be aware that it is an inflationary blow off. Similarly, when the rates are low and the commercial borrowing increases, it is a bear market or correction bottom. The interest rates are driven by the currency rates, when the currency is weak, you can not expect the interest rates to come down significantly, instead you have to watch whether the liquidity out there is capable to grow through borrowing or the inflation that begets more inflation...

The speculation comes when the spread grows much faster than the 5 yr bond yields forecasts the inflation. It is a natural phenomenon, people will always abuse the system. Do not blame it on the bulls or the bears. I also believe that the bearishness has to do with the free cash the people have, while the bullishness has to do with the easy credit. When the people are bullish in the United States, you can bet they are abusing the easy credit and that they are getting burried in debt. While the bearishness increases when the rates go up and they can hardly pay that debt...

Given this knowledge, why the market itself don't act on this liquidity spread when it turns? Simple, there is not enough money created yet. However, the market will probably turn around abruptly when this liquidity spread starts to increase since it means new liquidity is being and will be created and eventually the compounding effect will trigger and feed onto itself. This is how the financing based economies work, do not be scared of the debt as long as you can grow faster and keep the inflation under the control, this is the premise...

I've been posting many examples about the liquidity spread and predicting the IT top by March --since we still don't know yet whether it is in and the energy didn't still break down, but I don't know why it is the dominant 9 months (40 wks) similar to the Hurst cycles and not 7 or 10, it is not perfect but I believe this might be the response rate of the economy and it also explains why the stock market leads the economy by about 6 months at least. It has momentum and cyclical components and strong intermediate term implications.

Once the liquidity spread starts to change, I look at the sector rotations to understand whether the liquidity is producing real growth or rather mostly inflation.

Here's how I track the S&P's 9 major sectors. The financials and the consumer discretionary reacts to the lower rates or inflation first. This is the most profitable phase due to the significant growth opportunities in the liquidity spread. Whether the rates are low or not compared to the inflation, the next economic sector to benefit from the liquidity spread is the technology, it marks the beginning of the true bull trends since the technology lowers the cost and increases the efficiency and extends the lifespan of the bull markets.

The industrial indices and the service sectors start to outperform later as the technology starts to fade off and these are generally inflationary issues. The financials should generally start to underperform from this point on. The industrial sectors will increase the resource utilization while the salary increases in the service jobs will be generally permanently inflationary until a recession or deflation takes place. So, the material and energy sectors and the health care sectors usually rally at the end of the bull markets and mark the inflationary tops.

It is important to track the last significant economic sector or utilities during the declines, if the utilities decline with the corrections, they usually mean reduced resource utilization and less need for energy etc, this usually signals a recession or extended correction. The cycle starts again when the financials starts to outperform the markets. This usually coincides again with the lower rates and the increasing liquidity spread.

Technically, it is also important to notice that the sector structure is a fractal pattern that will repeat at the lower time frames, but the randomness will also increase due to the news or out of the ordinary events. These are better tracked by the frequency and phase changes in the cyclical tools for the market timing purposes according to my observation.

I have only one consistent observation about the options market. The market will tend to close above the dollar weighted median prices of the open interest (max pain) during the uptrends and below it during the downtrends. But I would look at the months ahead, not to the front month since it is mostly used for hedging. The max pain only makes sense in terms of the changes and not in the absolute amounts, so I only observe the change of the spread in between the current prices and max pain points and the changes in the open interest whether it occurs in the direction of the major trend. When you see a lot of volume in the options and not much change or a decline in the open interest, that's usually a warning about a pending trend change...

In the longest time frames, the tech topped in 2000 and we are seeing the top of the commodity and resource issues since last May. If the utilities correct significantly over the next several months, you can bet that the bear market that has been going on, whether some of the indices are making new highs or not since 2000, will end with a deflation with or without a strong bounce or new highs into 2008-2009. Otherwise, this major trading range since 2000 will continue until the techs find their true bottom and increase the economic profits exponentially again. I find the current consumer products not significantly improving the economic profits such as lower energy costs, more productive hours or other revolutionarily better factors than it did in the last decade.

My guess is a major low will come around 2012-2013 for the multi-decade bull market or at the 9 yr cycle low of the Hurst Cycles, you may call it the beginning of the 3 of 3 or whatever. We have talked about these several times, they are all in the archives. In the mean time, I believe the harder the indices try to escape with these inflationary blow offs, the harder they will fall back and this market has certainly tried too much of the former lately...

About the crash calls for 2007, it will not come before the market exhausts all of its inflationary powers or the breath deterioration. I think even if the market corrects in the IT sense until April around 5-6% on the SPX basis, it will still take several weeks after that until the breath makes a divergent top (lower or higher high) around early May. I think a decline can severely accelerate if the liquidity spread does not turn around significantly by a summer bottom around 12% discount from the current prices or 1270-1280 on the SPX basis. Then, perhaps a crash thereafter, but I don't think a 20-30% decline is in the cards right here, I consider it as the lower odds. Ideally, I am predicting an AB=CD symmetric decline toward 12% until the middle to late summer and about 3-4% bounce from early April until May.

In any case, the volatility will expand or the entire hedge fund industry that is most active in the derivatives market and provide significant price stability will completely migrate to London, they will not let that happen... :)

Finally, why did I post all of this? Well, the time passes, the needs change and I might go away for a long time from the board with the approaching birthday of our second baby. Don't think that I am leaving the good fight, hell not! I learned a lot here, but my conclusion is the pure technical analysis is somewhat a woodoo when not considered in the proper economic context whatever style you use. After all, the composite price (or index) patterns are only the ripples at the surface of the big economic ocean, try to understand the waters, before surfing its waves...

Agree or disagree, just make sure to comment!!!

Good luck,
- kisa

I agree with your very well thought out account of the credit spread---------you are way over my head with your knowledge. I believe in the domino effect-------once the credit and liquidity spreads, (thru derivative obligations) break down---------in other words---forced to pay up--- then the fed will control inflation ( raise rates), ---because providing free money will not work anymore-------because central bankers will need to sell USA treasuries to pay derivative obligations.

When the dominos fall----------the USA equity market will tank and I don't see the Bernanke's printing press

saving the market--------he will and has done so----------print and print--------but will be forced to try and save the dollar--------by raising interest rates----------then it will be too late!!! Then he can't print our way out of debt.

Long story short---------I think a crash will happen faster and deeper than you or I will be able to imagine!!!

#4 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

I learned a lot here, but my conclusion is the pure technical analysis is somewhat a woodoo when not considered in the proper economic context whatever style you use. After all, the composite price (or index) patterns are only the ripples at the surface of the big economic ocean, try to understand the waters, before surfing its waves...

Can't agree with you more. If information is out there, I do not understand why some people are so obstinate about not using it.

Good luck with your extended family :)
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#5 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

"my conclusion is the pure technical analysis is somewhat a woodoo when not considered in the proper economic context whatever style you use. After all, the composite price (or index) patterns are only the ripples at the surface of the big economic ocean, try to understand the waters, before surfing its waves..."

You got that right.Kisa. TA is looking at the ripples on waves of fundamental economic events.
And congrats on your impending daily double fatherhood and best of luck to you and yours.

Edited by pdx5, 10 February 2007 - 11:10 AM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#6 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

In the longest time frames, the tech topped in 2000 and we are seeing the top of the commodity and resource issues since last May.

Are you saying commodites have made a long term top? A 20 yr bear market followed by only
a 5 yr bull market? I think not.
The commodity bull ends when 5 ounces of gold buys the DJIA.

Edited by stocks, 10 February 2007 - 12:36 PM.

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

In the longest time frames, the tech topped in 2000 and we are seeing the top of the commodity and resource issues since last May.

I'm adding another viewpoint for the board's consideration. Harry Dent

A nicely written essay Kisa - thanks for taking the time in putting it together and posting it.

And may I also include my own congratulations on your upcoming addition to your family.

Best
Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

I don't think the commodities topped, however a correction from here will hurt the commodities until the rates go lower for the IT timeframe... Thanks a lot, it is a girl, now a boy and a girl, I think we're done :)

#9 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

Fib, I am not long term bearish, I am only saying that this seems to be a wide trading range which will not be probably broken until 2012-2013. I think there are two reasons, (1) the growth happens to be more inflationary than the last decade's, (2) there is tremendous pain waiting to be unlocked if the interest rates go higher as a result of it due to the total debt. These two need to be balanced before a multi-decade bull market can start. I am actually more in this camp, when I read it again, my article sounds too bearish, I am not that bearish. So far my prediction seems to be working out though, but the IT top might not be in...

- kisa

PS. in that sense, I don't think we are too far apart from Mr Dent. I don't think it is a straight up though...

Edited by kisacik, 10 February 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

Kisa, Once again you have shown your great intellect. Not just in your ideas posted above, but rather in your desire to buy out more time for your family and the new addition. That is a decision you will not regret. Congratulations! And please check in from time to time. Roger.