Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

Posted Image

#2 S.I.M.O.N.

S.I.M.O.N.

SIMONForecast

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

Why would the position of the moon affect the masses? What are the masses made up of ? 75% water Does the moon affect water? Low tides high tides? So, could the moon generate "low tides" and "high tides" in the masses? pushing and pulling the market like the oceans. So are you saying that only a fool would be "Fooled by Randomness"? Is Robert Taylor going to win the Nobel prize in Economics? ;)
*previously known as pnfwave

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

You'd be surprised at the effect of the moon.
I don't think we even come close to understanding the reasons.

Here's an almost identical post from 1 year ago: March 24 Moon
(Remember the world record Bass caught?)

Hikers photos have been giving me fishing fever so...
I went fishing last evening for about an hour, when the nearly new moon was directly overhead.
I caught a big largemouth bass within a few minutes, hooked another which straightened my hook and got away.
(I know, I know. You've heard that one before.)

Record Fish Catches: Over 90 percent are made during the dark of the moon (new moon).

Initially, only the behavior of fish was considered. During 1935 to 1939 Knight made extensive studies of game birds and animals. As had been suspected, these also responded to the prompting stimulus of the Solunar Periods.

One convincing experiment was when Dr. Frank A. Brown, a biologist at Northwestern University, had some live oysters flown to his lab near Chicago.Oysters open their shells with each high tide, and Dr. Brown wanted to see if this was due to the change in ocean levels or to a force from the moon itself. He put them in water and removed them from all sunlight. For the first week they continued to open their shells with the high tides from their ocean home. But by the second week, they had adjusted their shell-openings to when the moon was directly overhead or underfoot in Chicago.

Every fisherman knows that fish do not feed all the time. He knows, also, that for some reason fish often go on the feed and take most any offering, be it live bait or artificial.
This sort of thing happens, according to John Alden Knight (the originator of the theory) during a Solunar Period.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 March 2007 - 10:58 AM.

#4 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

cheers, Roger...and yes, Susan remembers you now that you sent the newspaper clipping.

another photo for you...this time it is Cache Creek from last fall, and you would be surprised the size of the trout in that creek...last hike up there, my lab and I ran into a giant cougar -

Posted Image

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

Hiker, THAT'S LIVING! I'm so envious of you. A dog, a mountain, and a girl from Tulsa during a new moon! :blush:

#6 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

Lunar Cycle Effects in Stock Returns

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

Jnavin, cool:

We find strong lunar cycle effects in stock returns. Specifically, returns in the 15 days around new moon dates are about double the returns in the 15 days around full moon dates. This pattern of returns is pervasive; we find it for all major U.S. stock indexes over the last 100 years and for nearly all major stock indexes of 24 other countries over the last 30 years. In contrast, we find no reliable or economically important evidence of lunar cycle effects in return volatility and volume of trading. Taken as a whole, this evidence is consistent with popular beliefs that lunar cycles affect human behavior.

So if the new moon gets the market overbought, Marketneutral's thread theme might have some substance.
"1st Qtr Moons, can be very dangerous to your portfolio"
The 1st quarter would see traders (the fish) quit biting for a while.

(I've looked at the Bradley in the past and noticed that the dates almost always coincide with the 4 main moon phases.)

I wonder if the effect is magnified when the moon is closer?
Remember the Dec. 26th, 2004
Tsunami was on a full moon.

Posted Image
Due to the elliptical shape of the Moon's orbit, the apparent size of the Moon's disk changes as its distance from Earth varies (the closest and farthest points do not always occur at the same phases, however). Second, although the Moon's near side directly faces the Earth on average, we get to view the Moon from slightly different angles as it orbits us. This effect, called libration, is caused partly by the tilt of the Moon's rotation axis with respect to its orbital plane and partly by the fact that the Moon's speed in its orbit varies but its rotation rate does not.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 March 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:41 AM

During the March sell-off the closing low was March 5th.
The moon was: Posted Image

Arch Crawford got excited by the eclipse on the 3rd:

WILL OUR MARKETS CRASH HERE?
WE THINK FEB 28 WILL BE WORSE THAN 27!
SATURN OPPOSES NEPTUNE ON NYC HORIZON AT
NYSE CLOSING MOMENT (4PM-EST) WEDNESDAY
MARCH 3 CONTAINS A LUNAR ECLIPSE & A SATURN/NEPTUNE
OPPOSITION IN APPARENT RIGHT ASCENSION (as astronomers measure sky)
These Saturn/Neptune contacts have developed a severe record of market declines, some of
them catastrophic! The Low Day of 1980 (March 27) was a Saturn/Neptune Square (90
deg). That was the day that Bache & Co. sold out the Hunt brothers' stocks to pay for their
margin calls from Silver losses.

That may have helped sentiment, YA THINK? :D

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 March 2007 - 11:53 AM.

#9 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Roger: Every fisherman knows that fish do not feed all the time. He knows, also, that for some reason fish often go on the feed and take most any offering, be it live bait or artificial. This sort of thing happens, according to John Alden Knight (the originator of the theory) during a Solunar Period.

Yeah Man. Our grandfather took one of my brothers and me fishing in Indiana in the late 1960s. No idea what was going on in the Heavens that day, but as Grandpa was getting the tackle boxes out of the truck, I impulsively cast into the lake with nothing but a line and a bare hook.

In a couple seconds I had a little bass. We absolutely raked in the fish that day, bass, bluegills, etc. Never saw another day like that. That fish was some good eatin' too.

Doug

#10 VolPivots

VolPivots

• Chartist
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

How 'bout combining Fibos and moons :huh:

Bob O's chart from another board
Posted Image

Perhaps an early easter egg hunt looming.....Russian brown bear style
Posted Image