Photo

Special Poll--Why Short?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Effect of TT (72 member(s) have cast votes)

If you are short, did postings on TT affect that decision?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

Since we're in a daily up trend, I'm only interested in shorts. In a down trend, I'll be intersted in longs. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 The End

The End

• Traders-Talk User
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

Since we're in a daily up trend, I'm only interested in shorts. In a down trend, I'll be intersted in longs.

Mark

We have been in a daily uptrend for a week. Prior to that we were in a down trend for a few weeks. Granted the rally off the lows is impressive (two 9.1 up days). If we don't drop after another day or two, I would think the shorts I have will be covered.

Edited by The End, 24 March 2007 - 01:24 PM.

NONE of what I type should be taken as financial advice.

#3 Net

Net

• Traders-Talk User
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

I did not choose this: "Somewhat, but I often look at opinions here and other research as well as my own." however, if ithe choice was written this way, I would have: "No, (or not really) but I often look at opinions here and other research as well as my own." I enjoy seeing the analysis and conviction stated by both sides, particulary the research offered up.

#4 Frac_Man

Frac_Man

Hank Wernicki M.A.

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

I sold the Bemmer and the girl friend to short this one ! Although I kept the dog ... <_<

Hank

Since we're in a daily up trend, I'm only interested in shorts. In a down trend, I'll be intersted in longs.

Mark

#5 TradeMark

TradeMark

• Traders-Talk User
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

Oops, I may have inappropriately answered your poll. I answered before I read al lthe attachments. I took the question "if you are short" as the general case as "for those times when you ARE short". So, I answered, even though I am not short at this time. In fact, I am "partially long" as FF poll defines it, at this time. That said, I don't know how anybody could answer that reading this site does not have at least some influtnce on their thinking. If it did not have at least some influence, I would not spend the many hours it takes to be here and participate. Maybe only bears are not influenced by the company they keep? . Best TM .

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

I think paul Simon said it best. See below:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 24 March 2007 - 06:06 PM.

#7 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

Mark: I originally answered your poll; but after thinking about it for a day I have decided to return and make the following statement: "I personally find that the poll's insinuation that the web site has so much influence that it directs one's decisions is insulting, regardless of the market's bullishness or bearishness. This web site is not a mechanical black box trading model. [Additionally, I presume that the purpose of such a poll is not a legal adviser's scheme to try position the web site to absolve it from any legal responsibility of serving as an unregistered investment advisor.] Markets are made by the two camps beliefs...and the reading membership should respect each those views without choosing the trait of posting "catty", non-constructive responses if they so desire. If the reader wants to follow a trading position, that's their decision, not the web sites', or we may be closer to George Orwell's position than I think." MDW
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#8 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

There was no insinuation whatsoever. The question was a legitimate one. I have no idea how much folks feel that the site drives their decisions. That's why I asked. As for disclaimer, if you're posting on this site, you've agreed to our terms of service. Neither Traders-Talk, LLC, nor its officers or employees, nor even its volunteers are your advisor unless you've got a signed contract with them. Even in that event, Traders-talk is not to be considered any part of any advisory relationship that you may have. You should discuss any trading action or strategy with your trusted financial professional before investing or taking a position in any trading instrument. Nothing in any post on this site should be considered "investment advice". You and your HIRED professionals are responsible for your investment decisions, not us. So there.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#9 Net

Net

• Traders-Talk User
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:59 PM

Markets are made by the two camps beliefs...and the reading membership should respect each those views without choosing the trait of posting "catty", non-constructive responses if they so desire. If the reader wants to follow a trading position, that's their decision...

Hi MDW,

Thanks for the heads-up on the other post :)

I actually liked the idea behind this poll, and also agree whole heartedly with what I quoted from you. Perhaps the wording of the questions could use some tweaking (after all, it's the first poll of this type) but I'm glad to see interesting polls like this. I think the poll was well-intended, and don't forget the readers also get to see the results, too.

What am finding interesting, the number of shorts (notwithstanding a few may be long and have answered this poll for short positions only by mistake) as compared to the daily survey. I'm short, and am finding I've got a lot of company...

#10 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

I'm closing the poll, which will close the topic. I'm not ending discussion however. I really just wanted to see if the site sentiment was changing site sentiment. The shifts were a bit funky this weekend.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here: