What, no discussion of Iran or Oil?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

Johngeorge: A couple months back I bought PVX and BTE Canroys and recently they have been moving up in price. XOM is also near its all time highs. Energy looks like a buy in here to me.

Hey Johngeorge -- yes, the Canroys have really turned around (suprisingly). I bought more Peyto Energy Trust since it's down so far and IMO one of the best natural gas plays going forward in time, come what may. ARC Energy Trust is my other "high-quality" one, and like Peyto and PVX/BTE it hasn't really broken out.

Oddly, Harvest Energy Trust (HTE), which I think of as middling-quality, has done the best, recently, within my holdings.... I sure don't know what the rest of this year holds for oil and NG but energy stocks have indeed turned it around of late.

Best,

Doug

#12 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:04 AM

Yes, I feel only Energy is relatively safe going long. And Iran is definitely geo-politics. It could affect everything if war breaks out. It is not "fundamentals" per se but, a war with Iran will affect price of oil in a huge way and that turns into fundamentals.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#13 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:58 AM

Bet anything bad shows up in the technicals days in advance. :lol:

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#14 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

Mark, good to know Wall Streeters have a direct link to the brain of Mahmoud Ahmedinejad & the Ayatollah. Now I can relax :lol:
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#15 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

I suspect that there's at least one powerful Persian who's greedy. That's all it takes... M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#16 BearItch

BearItch

• Traders-Talk User
  • 515 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:24 AM

Bet anything bad shows up in the technicals days in advance.
:lol:

Bet anytiong that nobody posts about the bad in the technicals until we are well into any decline when they will come out of the woodwork and say the deciline was easy to see coming based on their rearview read of the technicals :P

#17 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

If it's going down, and you're a technician, essentially you should be out or short. Very little happens that effects the market that isn't telegraphed in the technicals. That's why many of us, for instance, were out of the market and looking to short BEFORE 911 occurred. We didn't know it was going to happen, only that something bad was in the works. Can things come out of the blue? I'm thinking so, but not very often. And that's 25 years of professional and semi pro trading experience speaking. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#18 BearItch

BearItch

• Traders-Talk User
  • 515 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

If it's going down, and you're a technician, essentially you should be out or short. Very little happens that effects the market that isn't telegraphed in the technicals.

That's why many of us, for instance, were out of the market and looking to short BEFORE 911 occurred. We didn't know it was going to happen, only that something bad was in the works.

Can things come out of the blue? I'm thinking so, but not very often. And that's 25 years of professional and semi pro trading experience speaking.

M

I agree. Things can come out of the blue and it is not very often. My point was that this had set up to be one of those occurrences based on some simple research into the Iranian situation and based upon the total lack of interest shown on this board.

But I think the reaction here would have been far more different if it had been 15 Americans. But 15 Brits. is not too far askew of our markets if you think about it.