Is QLD OBV a Sentiment Indicator??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:29 AM

Looking at QLD's OBV on a daily and noticed the prominent divergences with price. Looking at late Feb one would conclude that the higher OBV and lower QLD Price was a positive divergence; similarly, the recent lower low in OBV and the higher bottom in QLD should be a negative divergence........

maybe I'm reading too much into this but the opposite seems to happen making me think that the OBV in this case is a contrarian sentiment indicator of sorts....

recent (loose) interpretation being that traders do not believe in the recent QLD rally and are eager to jump in on down days...

QID seems to have a similar pattern.....

A longer term study is likely a good idea but for now...its an observation

http://stockcharts.c...5254&r=1991.png

#2 golden

golden

• Traders-Talk User
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

Looking at QLD's OBV on a daily and noticed the prominent divergences with price. Looking at late Feb one would conclude that the higher OBV and lower QLD Price was a positive divergence; similarly, the recent lower low in OBV and the higher bottom in QLD should be a negative divergence........

maybe I'm reading too much into this but the opposite seems to happen making me think that the OBV in this case is a contrarian sentiment indicator of sorts....

recent (loose) interpretation being that traders do not believe in the recent QLD rally and are eager to jump in on down days...

And a very good observation it is.

Joe Granville created and mastered this useful trading tool, and I would
guess he would be shorting any rallys here.

Only time will tell.....
"There is only one side of the market and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side."

#3 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

also notice possible double top with double left shoulder and now possibly forming double right shoulder......... best viewed on QQQQ chart

#4 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

What exactly are trying to say?;-)

Back in february OBV had a rising trend unlike QLD - and the (positive) divergence led to a drop

Now we have a falling OBV trend with a rising QLD trend - a negative divergence - are you saying that this should lead to a drop

I agree that the negative divergence is negative - but if the positive divergence didn't indicate strength, is it then fair to assume that the negative divergence indicates weakness

I'm trading in Europe , so if you could please also explain what QLD represents

Regards ;-)

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

QLD is a newer etf.
It is double long. It moves nearly 200% of the QQQQ (Nasdaq 100)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 April 2007 - 10:37 PM.

#6 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

Appreciated!

QLD is a newer etf.
It is double long. It moves nearly 200% of the QQQQ (Nasdaq 100)