The Hot Job Data Dim the Hope for a Rate Cut

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

There was a net gain of 180,000 jobs in the month, according to the Labor Department report, up from the 113,000 number in February, which was also revised higher. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had forecast that there would be a 135,000 increase in U.S. payrolls, while Reuters' survey found a consensus estimate of a 120,000 rise. The unemployment rate came in 4.4 percent, down from the 4.5 percent rate reported in February. Economists had been forecasting the rate would creep back up to 4.6 percent in the most recent reading.

Edited by redfoliage2, 06 April 2007 - 07:43 AM.

#2 n83

n83

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

imo market was looking for strong data to offset other concerns..as long as jobs are there the going will be good/supported nice :D

#3 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

imo market was looking for strong data to offset other concerns..as long as jobs are there the going will be good/supported

nice :D

It seems that market has no "other concerns" recently, but concentrated on the hope that the Fed may cut the rate soon. That's the only understandable reason for the recent rally. This job data may make the Fed more worried about the inflation since the recent PPI and CPI already higher than expected. However, if market wants to rally on this job data it can still go higher Monday.

Edited by redfoliage2, 06 April 2007 - 08:00 AM.

#4 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

The job data is useless, the numbers are random like many gov't numbers, it will be revised up or down to fit to the markets. I don't understand why anyone should pay much attention...

#5 n83

n83

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

The job data is useless, the numbers are random like many gov't numbers, it will be revised up or down to fit to the markets. I don't understand why anyone should pay much attention...

the futures 'seem' to have..

Edited by n83, 06 April 2007 - 08:41 AM.

#6 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

I agree!
But it could give the market so sort of hope on the very short term

#7 briarberry

briarberry

• Traders-Talk User
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:11 AM

I guess you've all seen this by now

128K theoretical jobs

http://www.bls.gov/web/cesbd.htm

Edited by briarberry, 06 April 2007 - 09:13 AM.

#8 briarberry

briarberry

• Traders-Talk User
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:47 AM

will be interesting to see if the good news helps to lower the amazingly high put:call ratio ???

Posted Image

a number of people are predicting a rise in unemployment, looks like they may be right as there are a lot of houses still under construction and there has been a steep fall in starts

chart

#9 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

the futures 'seem' to have..

If the gov't reports these numbers once a quarter instead of per month and never revises them, they could be more useful. I'd rather have the data reported late, but accurate than revised all the way back to a year back!!! At least we could measure something accurate, even though a bit late, and make a forecast with it, right now any estimate is a crapshoot...

#10 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

ECRI Says Jobs Data Shows Turn in Economy

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/av/

Click on Achuthan picture
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.