• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

By BLOOMBERG NEWS Published: April 12, 2007
The 2007 median price for an existing home probably will decline 0.7 percent, to $220,300, the first drop since the real estate trade group began keeping records in 1968 and probably the first decline since the Great Depression, said Lawrence Yun, an economist with the association, which is based in Chicago. The median price for new homes is projected to increase 0.4 percent, to $246,200 this year, the smallest gain since prices fell in 1991.

The problems in the subprime loan market will make it more difficult for borrowers to get mortgages and will cause home prices to fall this year for the first time on record, the National Association of Realtors said yesterday.

"We've been getting reports from Realtors out in the field about home closings not going through at the last minute because of loan problems," Mr. Yun said in an interview. "That impacts all homeowners because it affects prices."

New-home sales will probably decline 16 percent this year, to 904,000, while sales of existing homes are likely to fall 2 percent, to 6.34 million, from 6.48 million last year, the association said.

Mortgage rates probably will not increase, according to the report. The 2007 average rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage will match the 6.4 percent in 2006, and the average for a 30-year annually adjusting mortgage probably will stay at last year's 5.5 percent, the forecast said.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 April 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#2 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:11 AM

Knew it will happen from a year back....so, what do we have here? a) Median home price drop first time since GD. B) Biggest difference between wealth of rich and poor since 1928. c) Total US debt to GDP ratio highest since 1932. d) LT interest rates lowest since 1930s. Do we see a pattern here? Greenie says si.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#3 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

Knew it will happen from a year back....so, what do we have here?

a) Median home price drop first time since GD.

B) Biggest difference between wealth of rich and poor since 1928.

c) Total US debt to GDP ratio highest since 1932.

d) LT interest rates lowest since 1930s.

Do we see a pattern here? Greenie says si.

greenie

You have not changed your tune for as long as I can recall and events seem to be unfolding as you have previously described. There is a small nag in the back of my mind about a severe recession, but, not a depression. Global economy is now too large with banks and others supplying all the money and more that the institutions can spend. I do agree that as the rich continue accumulating more and the poor being made even poorer eventually something will give........... I am bearish on the market in here, but, am not long 30 year treasuries yet.

Best to you
Peace
johngeorge

#4 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:34 AM

JG, Mornin'. I had to reply to this. Yes there is a lot of 'paper' to be printed, but...more and more lights will be going on as the realization dawns that the fiat money of the world is absolutely worthless. I am thinking the Emperor's new clothes. Chili
Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#5 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

JG,

Mornin'. I had to reply to this. Yes there is a lot of 'paper' to be printed, but...more and more lights will be going on as the realization dawns that the fiat money of the world is absolutely worthless.

I am thinking the Emperor's new clothes.

Chili

Good morning to you Chili :D

I do agree with the "Emperor's new clothes", but, don't think people will recognize that he isn't wearing any for a long time yet. Folks I talk with don't have any gold or maybe just a few Morgan silver dollars lying around. Seems that when I mention investing in gold, gold stocks, etc I just get a confused look. It has been my understanding that many people in this world readily recognize a US dollar, but, haven't a clue about gold. Those things have to change, IMO, before the top is in. Meanwhile gold and gold stocks in a stealth bull market. :redbull:

My best to you always.
Peace
johngeorge