Fractals Failed

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

Nimblebear...fractals seem as good as many others I have seen...whatever system you use, you get your setup, get signal, take your shot...and use stops to protect. There is no grail out there, if some system hit 90% of the time, it would be kept secret and over traded...you act like a system can't be wrong?

I wasn't really knocking fractals. I was more concerned by the perceived followers that were fairly convinced they could trade regularly off the information being presented. There have been some good calls and some not so good. It looks 50/50 to me. I was thinking that if a fractal failed failed, like it did in QID's situation that for it to be somewhat reliable you would have probabilities assigned, and then some outside criteria as to why it failed so you could use some judgement in the future.

QID was much more misleading than fractals, imo. it was his intent to mock hank and XD. he should have been given the boot much earlier.

ed rader

Edited by ed rader, 20 April 2007 - 11:17 AM.

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#12 Frac_Man

Frac_Man

Hank Wernicki M.A.

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

thank you for clearing that up ............

Hank

I have no idea who QID or ZEN is !

Fractals are rather reliable...I mean as reliable as anything else. Sometimes wrong, sometimes right. It's just that the times that they are right are so scary right that they get people to over commit.

And QID trader won't be back. He wasn't for real.

#13 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

I would like to put forth a supposition. Trading information that is readily available is usually discounted and is more often wrong. Information that is difficult to obtain and therefore known only by a few (like insider information) is usually correct. Information developed from simple moving averages, or other less theoretical models are usually well known and therefore only marginally profitable. Rich

#14 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Poor small specs, Gaps closed, but how? Fed is still injecting money non-stop into the system, another big pomo today at $1.8B. I don't fight the Fed with the index shorts until the market says the opposite or the small specs fully cover. The core of the business for the commercial banks operating with the Fed is to kill the small spec speculation, use this to your advantage, there is nothing wrong with it. The total injections over the past 2 wks so far have the fractional banking (10:1) value of about $30-40B... - kisa

#15 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:50 AM

Poor small specs, Gaps closed, but how? Fed is still injecting money non-stop into the system, another big pomo today at $1.8B. I don't fight the Fed with the index shorts until the market says the opposite or the small specs fully cover. The core of the business for the commercial banks operating with the Fed is to kill the small spec speculation, use this to your advantage, there is nothing wrong with it. The total injections over the past 2 wks so far have the fractional banking (10:1) value of about $30-40B...

- kisa

I think they may close them just to shake out the weak hands... Just a guess.
Kisa, did you happen to catch my post yesterday:

I was hoping you would poke some holes in the theory, or steer me in the
right direction.
http://www.traders-t...showtopic=69258

#16 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

The relaxed margin adds to the volatility, the hedge funds are the best volatility traders. The whole scheme benefits them and it's kind of an offer to prevent them from migrating to London since the volatility has been very low for years in the US markets. The hedge funds provided tremendous liquidity and the big brokers could not afford to loose them. They pushed through the changes with the Fed... That's my take...

#17 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

The relaxed margin adds to the volatility, the hedge funds are the best volatility traders. The whole scheme benefits them and it's kind of an offer to prevent them from migrating to London since the volatility has been very low for years in the US markets. The hedge funds provided tremendous liquidity and the big brokers could not afford to loose them. They pushed through the changes with the Fed... That's my take...

thx.

#18 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

I disagree. Relaxed margin means more liquidiy. More liquidity leads to less volatility and not more.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#19 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

I disagree. Relaxed margin means more liquidiy. More liquidity leads to less volatility and not more.

I can not disagree with you more, but I will discuss about it later. Let me phrase it shortly this way though, ALL of the speculative activity adds to the volatility...

#20 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

I disagree. Relaxed margin means more liquidity. More liquidity leads to less volatility and not more.

I can not disagree with you more, but I will discuss about it later. Let me phrase it shortly this way though, ALL of the speculative activity adds to the volatility...

You guys are coming from two different points of the spectrum...you're both right depending on the context.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions