• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Researchers break Internet speed records
Tue Apr 24, 6:33 PM ET NEW YORK - A group of researchers led by the University of Tokyo has broken Internet speed records — twice in two days. Operators of the high-speed Internet2 network announced Tuesday that the researchers on Dec. 30 sent data at 7.67 gigabits per second, using standard communications protocols.

The next day, using modified protocols, the team broke the record again by sending data over the same 20,000-mile path at 9.08 Gbps.

Article link

#2 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

Researchers break Internet speed records
Tue Apr 24, 6:33 PM ET NEW YORK - A group of researchers led by the University of Tokyo has broken Internet speed records — twice in two days. Operators of the high-speed Internet2 network announced Tuesday that the researchers on Dec. 30 sent data at 7.67 gigabits per second, using standard communications protocols.

The next day, using modified protocols, the team broke the record again by sending data over the same 20,000-mile path at 9.08 Gbps.

Article link

A few years ago, before I retired from engineering in my late 30's I used to work on Networking equipment. The quip then was that IPv6 was too large a change for an industry/technology that is built around organic evolution. In fact there are a number of proprietary solutions that solve the problems that IPv6 targets.

Back in school studying microwave (RF) engineering the mantra was “GaAs the wave of the future, always has been always will be”. Of course the tune changed but it took 20 years.