INDU: nowhere it's all time high.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

If all your money is in the DOW 30, you are not doing as well as you thought. :(
The H&S is from 2004 when I first saw this posted by someone else.
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$INDU:$XEU&p=W&st=1991-01-02&en=2006-12-31&i=p34323385109&a=41705821&r=2171.png

Compared with XAU and it's down about 66% from it's all time high.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 April 2007 - 09:29 AM.

#2 ty250

ty250

• Traders-Talk User
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

Maryam (I believe that's right) used to post often about the illusion of the Dow. She cited the change in the dow divisor that artificially inflates the value. I don't totally understand the concept, someone else may be able to explain it better

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Yes, but the NYSE cummulative breath is extremely strong and that's not measured only by currency devaluation but also by the diffusion of the liquidity or you could say the broad liquidity. I think the reason of any correction from here is the fact that the NYSE cummulative breath has been extremely strong and it will probably come to a rest. The underlying index is not RUT since it contains many NASDAQ issues as well, but RUT has been underperforming big time and even though the breath or binary (up or down) measures are up, the price or intensity measures are weakening. I have a feeling that an IT top will come again very suddenly here like Feb... - kisa BTW, in a sense, I believe the computerized systems are responsible for the strong breath measures since they bid up the market very evenly during the broad rallies pushing the up and down based breath measures easily. I would rather look how the stocks breaking out and new highs vs new lows are performing. They are also at the extremes now, BUT surprisingly, it made a lower high a few days ago despite the record number of break outs!!! :blink:

#4 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

Can someone please explain to me how the DOW is at record high versus the previous high 7 years ago? Have we had ZERO inflation in 7 years? So, if you take into account inflation for 7 years and subtract the dividends for 7 years, are we really at a record high in terms of buying power?
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

Only problem, we don't pay $5-$8 USD per gallon of gas like the Europeans do. They need a higher stock market. :)