• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

Being fat -- healthier?

“Obesity paradox,” the term, was coined in 2002 by Dr. Luis Gruberg and colleagues at the Cardiovascular Research Institute in Washington D.C., when they discovered — to their surprise — that overweight and obese patients had roughly half the risk of mortality than normal-weight patients following angioplasty, a procedure to unblock arteries in the heart.

Lavie noticed a similar trend in his patients recovering from heart failure. He published his findings in 2003, where he revealed that for every 1 percent increase in body fat there was a 13 percent increase in overall survival.

He cites two studies, one out of Canada and one conducted by the American Cancer Society, which both say unequivocally that the more you sit no matter your age or weight, the sooner you’ll die.

“If you have to choose between being fat or fit, go for fit, even if it means being heavier,” he writes.
Fat or skinny—the worst thing you can do is sit still.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 06 April 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#32 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Chris Kresser on meat consumption and disease.
The population is sick and overweight because we eat too much of the wrong foods and we eat too often. Eat REAL food, nothing in a box and nothing with more than three or four ingredients. Stop eating wheat products, seed oils and sugars. Stop eating nearly all foods you don't prepare yourself. All commercial restaurants add ingredients your great grandmothers would not recognize.

Now, would you mind if I ate that last piece of chicken?
Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#33 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

Expand your lifespan by cutting back on animal protein (like the Okinawans used to do) instead of calorie restriction and fasting twice a wk.

Hot off the press
http://nutritionfact...10e46f-23356197

#34 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

My greatest concern about eating meat is the use of hormones, etc. to increase the speed of growth in animals.
And of course mercury,etc. in fish.
I have a backyard "rain gutter" garden.
It may not be better for me but it tastes better.

Larry Hall "rain gutter" garden style:

Posted Image
Posted Image Reduced: 79% of original size [ 1280 x 720 ] - Click to view full imagePosted Image

Looking good Rog. Cut back on the unhealthy meat and grow your own veggies that you eat every day. At least then you can control the poison on them.
My biggest problem is controlling the slugs. I guess you would have a problem with too much heat in the summer.

#35 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

Expand your lifespan by cutting back on animal protein (like the Okinawans used to do) instead of calorie restriction and fasting twice a wk.

Hot off the press
http://nutritionfact...10e46f-23356197

Quote from last year:
Apr 10 2013

3 minutes a week could change your life
How three minutes of exercise a week could change your life

BBC News - Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?
Full throttle
It's actually very simple. You get on an exercise bike, warm up by doing gentle cycling for a couple of minutes, then go flat out for 20 seconds.
A couple of minutes to catch your breath, then another 20 seconds at full throttle. Another couple of minutes gentle cycling, then a final 20 seconds going hell for leather. And that's it.

Here's a very interesting PBS program from a week ago about fasting by the same guy pictured above:
Michael Mosley | Eat, Fast and Live Longer with Michael Mosley

British journalist and physician Michael Mosley has set himself an ambitious goal: to live longer, stay younger and lose weight, while making as few changes to his life as possible. Find out if the ancient idea of fasting holds the secret to a longer, healthier life.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 07 April 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#36 mdszj

mdszj

• Traders-Talk User
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Not sure if this has been posted already but - Here is a link to a book called Blue Zones which I read a few years ago that documents several commumities of people that live longer. After reading this thread I might take it out of the library again for another look.

http://www.bluezones.com/live-longer/

#37 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Food fanaticism is a waste of time. This obsession with "nature's purity without the poisons of evil mankind " is burned into people's brains. Food doesn't come from nature, it comes from botany, chemistry and fossil fuels.

It seems that humans can live a full lifespan on a huge range of diets, so long as the food does not contain too much poisonous or infectious stuff.

The most striking thing about diet is how little dietary components matter to life expectancy, so long as there is enough food.

What Causes Disease?

For humans, as large complex animals, invasion and colonisation by infectious parasitic agents is the basic problem in life

For example, it is likely that the mid-twentieth century epidemic of heart disease was caused by some infectious agent - not known;

As well as the damage from micro-organisms and parasites, there are problems with the body's 'immune' reactions to these invaders - and these probably cause another whole set of 'autoimmune' diseases; which may include eczema, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis

http://charltonteach...s-of-thing.html
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#38 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

I saw the BBC or PBS program that Dr Mosley did on fasting. It was very interesting.
Fasting gets the body in cell repair mode instead of the normal cell growth mode. It was even shown to repair the brain.

It is known that excess calories, forming fat, will increase aging and chronic disease. One of the chemicals associated with this antiaging is Reservatrol which causes a number of positive effects. It appears the the starving releases this material. It is also found in certain foods. It appears to offer a number of ways to help our health including blocking the division of some cancer cells. Older people with less calorie intake appear to have less memory loss, then those with more caloric intake.

Recent studies show that the primary mechanism that decrease calories (and vigorous exercise!) work to trigger off signals to increase autophagy (cell repair). This is an important way the body actually destroys various things that are malfunctioning. Without this cleanup the cells will divide and spread the malfunction so that various diseases and aging occur. It appears a certain amount of physical stress is important to make sure our body is healthy. (see chapter on exercise). The fasting time during sleep is very important to allow these functions to happen.

Recently there has been emphasis on the benefits of fasting. 50 plus years of research has shown that reducing calories by 30% in animals increases their life span and lowers chance of most disease. It has been shown this is due to shift from cell division to cell repair and maintenace. Many genes are activated by the "stress' of less calories. These allow many important repairs to occur. The results in many lab animals are available, longer life (40%), less cancer, heart disease etc, more neurons , less hypertension and diabetes. .

#39 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Love this guys video, he eats a ketogenic diet and eliminated his diabetes. I am doing the same thing. I eat Sisson's (Primal Blueprint) version of Paleo and eat during a six hour windows each day from 12 to 6. I eat high fat, moderate protein and low carbs. I have dropped nearly 60 pounds and have 13 more to go.

how i cured my diabetes

Edited by Chilidawgz, 09 April 2014 - 11:44 AM.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#40 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Eat More Fat? -- Amazing Results

See:

At 4:45: "Butter makes you better at arthritic."

Now it all adds up. :lol:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 09 April 2014 - 06:04 PM.