Photo

Yield Curve gets straight. Coast is clear!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:09 PM

I feel violated!
For the first time in my life I paid over $3 for gas today.
I got $92 worth of $3.09 unleaded.
Then I rushed home to buy gas for the car and lawnmower at that "low" price but they boosted it to $3.19 before I could get back up there and I had to pay another $40 for 12 gallons.
That's $132 total in gas just today that somebody else (McDonalds) won't get.
But.. There is a good side to the high price. For the first time since last summer, I'm seriously considering what to do about higher fuel prices.
My response so far has been so simple: I raised my prices! Pass it on.

No recession now:
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$UST10Y:$UST3M&p=D&st=2000-01-01&i=p18085533160&a=79770897&r=7176.png

Edited by Rogerdodger, 17 May 2007 - 11:10 PM.

#2 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

Roger,

If this H&S holds, measured move is to $33. May be wishful thinking though.

$1.50 a gallon would be a fair price to me.

Posted Image

#3 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

I might add here that fading the inverted yeild curve on a IT bases has worked well.

#4 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

I might add here that fading the inverted yeild curve on a IT bases has worked well.

Bob Hoye of Institutional Advisors (check google for some articles) has done research into this and the market is pushing the envelope right now based on that analysis.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#5 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

"On the big schedule the exuberance is flourishing within the window when the yield curve does the big denial usually found at the ending stages of a bull market. Typically the bull will run some 12 to 16 months against an inverted yield curve. February was month 12 and the curve has turned from maximum inversion at -15 bps in February to around 0 bps." ... Bob Hoye, Institutional Advisors
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#6 Net

Net

• Traders-Talk User
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

Hi Roger, and welcome to California! After paying as much as $3.69 for that stuff, seeing $3.00 a gallon again, and even breaking below that price level briefly "felt" cheap... amazing what conditioning will do. When I first saw the $2.00 level taken out and heard predictions of $3.00 per gallon gas, I naively believed it would never happen... (a 50% increase???) blew that call big time. Recently heard predictions of $4.00 per gallon gas and just a couple days later, saw pictures of a gas sign advertising prices at $4.03 (may have been on the east coast; didn't pay much attention to the location). So, perhaps $5.00 a gallon gas is a lot closer than anyone would care to believe. If you're only paying $3.19 now, you still have a relative bargain. That said, it just doesn't seem that long ago gas was $0.89 in CA, and less elsewhere.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

That said, it just doesn't seem that long ago gas was $0.89 in CA, and less elsewhere.

Believe me, I remember.
Isn't that the same time the HUMMER was introduced and EVERYBODY bought SUVs?
I believe the government offered tax incentives to those who bought really big autos after 9/11/01.

It will be interesting to see what cars will dominate the roads in 5 years.
I think we will see a change for the better if the gas prices can stay high.
Wouldn't you just love a brand new YUGO or a LeCar? :lol:

I think Oklahoma has some of the least inexpensive gas around.
We don't have a lot of EPA mandated blend regulations, yet anyway.
And, maybe because Cushing Oklahoma is the delivery point for the NYMEX oil futures contract. It is the world's most liquid forum for crude oil trading, as well as the world's largest-volume futures contract trading on a physical commodity.

Last week I heard that the "Crack Spread" was at an historical high.
It's the "pricing differential of heating oil futures and crude oil futures and gasoline futures and crude oil futures."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 May 2007 - 10:07 AM.

#8 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

That said, it just doesn't seem that long ago gas was $0.89 in CA, and less elsewhere.

Last week I heard that the "Crack Spread" was at an historical high.
It's the "pricing differential of heating oil futures and crude oil futures and gasoline futures and crude oil futures."

Someones crack is spreading with these prices. Bend over folks ! :D

3.45 here in Chicago suburbs.
OTIS.