Photo

HERE'S A THOUGHT WE BOYCOTT HIGH GAS & OIL BY..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

BY TAKING Monday OFF. NO one goes to work ,...at all......a sick out ...and we shut-eh Down ! That would get some attention in Washington!

Edited by Mr Dev, 18 May 2007 - 01:22 PM.

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.
.....timing,..... is ....everything !
... remember no guessing visit MrDev!

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

BY TAKING Monday OFF.

NO one goes to work ,...at all......a sick out ...and we shut-eh Down !

That would get some attention in Washington!

You can't do this on the spur of the moment...how about Monday the 28th...I'm sure you'll get a far better response to your idea if you wait a week! ;)

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

As a capitalist, I'm not sure that refusing to work is the answer. With Gas moving higher alternatives will become more attractive. "Free" markets combined with the power of supply and demand will deliver an answer when it is needed. Also, a study I read indicated that the price of gas may not be as high as some think, that the majority have not yet changed their driving habits at all. Like me, I"m about to drive the dog to a place where we can take a great walk then maybe swing by the local general store. Now, if gas were REALLY expensive I'd walk the dog from my door and do the general store run in combination with other needed errands. So gas for most of us, isn't yet expensive enough to impact on our driving life. And I think Congress and the Whitehouse know that.

Edited by Sentient Being, 18 May 2007 - 01:39 PM.

In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#4 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

You can't do this on the spur of the moment...how about Monday the 28th.

FaNtAsTiC... :D I was only kidding with the idea but sometime those kidding ideas come to fruition.

You have a website maybe you could help set it up.

Do you think something close enough could be accomplished ?

I'll do my part and take that Monday the 28th Off!!

Don't be a stick Sentiment....just take .....Monday the 28th... OFF !

That way you and I won't lose as much money :0)

Edited by Mr Dev, 18 May 2007 - 01:42 PM.

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

OK - done!

I just called my representatives and they fast tracked the idea...Monday, May 28th it is!

In fact, the NYSE liked the idea so much that they've decided to close as well to show their compassion for the "little guy".

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#6 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

OK - done!

Fib

Excellent ! NOW if everyone would just follow your lead ,... you'll become a leader!

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

OW if everyone would just follow your lead ,... you'll become a leader!

Sorry...don't want or need the job, thanks anyway!

But I am glad that I could do my share in helping you with your unique idea!

Fib

#8 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

In all seriousness, as Fib has mentioned before, I think that many of us really can make choices about how much petroleum we want to buy. We have many options on this - buy more efficient cars, live closer to work, carpool, work at home, ride bicycles or public transit. Not all options will work for all people in all places, I'm just saying that there are many options out there. SB is right, most Americans are not feeling the pain enough to make these choices. Wait till gas gets as expensive as it is in Europe, then you'll see some more significant changes in behavior. Although I do not think it is the government's place to regulate prices for commodities such as gasoline, there is a role for them to play by helping with tax incentives for more efficient and greener energy technologies, as well as helping fund infrastructure projects such as electric rail (in places where it makes sense). But don't count on them to do anything. Whatever they do will probably be too little, too late, or in the wrong direction (like ethanol). So take matters into your own hands and modify your lifestyle as needed to reduce risk of higher oil prices.

Edited by TechSkeptic, 18 May 2007 - 04:08 PM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

I was considering a CNG conversion.
Looking at some of the info I see that you get a 10% loss of power.
Also mileage between fill-ups is limited.
While there may be some tax incentives, seems like there are not too many places to refill.
And you carry around a tank of Natural Gas pressurized to over 3000 psi. :blink:

No easy answers.

There was a guy on tonight's news that peddles 40 miles r/t a day to work on an enclosed recumbunt bike.

Have you heard of HYPERMILERS?
Here's how some are getting 100 MPG by changes to their driving habits.
LINK

Video Link: 105 MPG
He set the world record gas mileage.
Recently went 2200 mi on 10 gals!

#10 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Rogerdodger,

Bro don't sweat it you can now just go out and buy a 2007 production vehicle that runs on CNG.

Again,..of course, the US Auto MFGs were not the first ones to bring it to market.

It was HONDA.

The 2007 CIVIX-GX SEDAN

With a reasonable suggested retail of 24,500.

Bam! I'm on the phone right now,... going to look at one today.

And of course for the geeks types we all are... here is the Fact Sheet

Civic GX Wins ACEEE's "America's Greenest Car" Award

See It Here

Edited by Mr Dev, 19 May 2007 - 01:30 PM.

.. .. ..
Mr Dev