Forget gasoline: Accidental discovery!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

This is one of those accidental discoveries which could change our need for oil.
May 16, 2007
"I was cleaning a crucible containing liquid alloys of gallium and aluminum," Woodall said. "When I added water to this alloy - talk about a discovery - there was a violent poof. I went to my office and worked out the reaction in a couple of hours to figure out what had happened.
A Purdue University engineer has developed a method that uses an aluminum alloy to extract hydrogen from water for running fuel cells or internal combustion engines, and the technique could be used to replace gasoline.
The method makes it unnecessary to store or transport hydrogen - two major challenges in creating a hydrogen economy, said Jerry Woodall, a distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering at Purdue who invented the process.
Hydrogen is generated spontaneously when water is added to pellets of the alloy, which is made of aluminum and a metal called gallium. The researchers have shown how hydrogen is produced when water is added to a small tank containing the pellets. Hydrogen produced in such a system could be fed directly to an engine, such as those on lawn mowers.
"When water is added to the pellets, the aluminum in the solid alloy reacts because it has a strong attraction to the oxygen in the water," Woodall said.
This reaction splits the oxygen and hydrogen contained in water, releasing hydrogen in the process.
The approach could enable the United States to replace gasoline for transportation purposes, reducing pollution and the nation's dependence on foreign oil. If hydrogen fuel cells are perfected for cars and trucks in the future, the same hydrogen-producing method could be used to power them, he said.
Even at the current cost of aluminum, however, the method would be economically competitive with gasoline if the hydrogen were used to run future fuel cells.

"Using pure hydrogen, fuel cell systems run at an overall efficiency of 75 percent, compared to 40 percent using hydrogen extracted from fossil fuels and with 25 percent for internal combustion engines," Woodall said. "Therefore, when and if fuel cells become economically viable, our method would compete with gasoline at $3 per gallon even if aluminum costs more than a dollar per pound."

The hydrogen-generating technology paired with advanced fuel cells also represents a potential future method for replacing lead-acid batteries in applications such as golf carts, electric wheel chairs and hybrid cars, he said.

The technology underscores aluminum's value for energy production.
"Most people don't realize how energy intensive aluminum is," Woodall said.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 May 2007 - 12:08 AM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

Have you heard of HYPERMILERS?
Here's a guy who gets 105MPG by changing his driving habits.
Recently went 2200 miles on 10 gals.
Video Link:

#3 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

If all the cars in the world switched to this, I wonder how long the planets supply of alluminum would last?
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

Well, the article says that the aluminum & gallium can be extracted (recycled) from the byproduct. At a cost of course. "The waste products are gallium and aluminum oxide, also called alumina. Combusting hydrogen in an engine produces only water as waste. "It's important to note that the gallium doesn't react, so it doesn't get used up and can be recycled over and over again. "However, the cost of aluminum could be reduced by recycling it from the alumina using a process called fused salt electrolysis." IMHO: Nothing is going to be as inexpensive as petrol for a long time.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 May 2007 - 12:42 AM.

#5 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

Ok, I'm reading that something like 8% of the earths crust is aluminum so we are unlikely to run out soon.

#6 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:10 AM

If all the cars in the world switched to this, I wonder how long the planets supply of alluminum would last?

You are so correct!!!

First of all producing Aluminum requires lots and lots of power. So there goes
all the oil to generate power to produce Aluminum.

And like you said, the ore used to produce Aluminum is FINITE.
Another wonderful idea from the ivory towers :sweatingbullets:

But the inventor is probably correct in saying this would be a safer method of
developing mobile hydrogen based transports.

In the long run, only good sources of power are solar & nuclear fusion. Fusion
is not yet possible to control. The current nuclear power uses fission. Our Sun
operates on fusion as source of its vast energy.

Edited by pdx5, 19 May 2007 - 01:15 AM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

So here you are, driving thru the desert. Almost out of fuel. You have a six-pack of beer in the trunk. You pull over, drink the beer, take a leak in the aluminium cans and throw them in the fuel tank and drive home. :D

#8 Mr Dev

Mr Dev

• Traders-Talk User
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:57 AM

So here you are, driving thru the desert.
Almost out of fuel.
You have a six-pack of beer in the trunk.
You pull over, drink the beer, take a leak in the aluminium cans and throw them in the fuel tank and drive home.
:D

Not bad.... for a year I've also been talking a car that runs off Crap...you can just Crap n Go.....

.. get it to run off Waste material.. methane ...whatever...then build the tank chute right into the driver seat.

There ya have it just eat something and then fill your tank with fuel ....While you're Driving !!!

No need to pull off the road anymore for those two most important reasons,,,.. fuel and the bathroom.

With the Crap n Go...the driver just smiles as he fills up his tank while driving home.

I figure you can get an optional 4 passanger Crap n Go for those larger vehicles that carry more people....

that way everyone can do their share to ....pitch in for gas!

;)

Edited by Mr Dev, 19 May 2007 - 01:58 AM.

.. .. ..
Mr Dev

......trading is basically a simple operation, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.
.....timing,..... is ....everything !
... remember no guessing visit MrDev!

#9 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:55 AM

In the long run, only good sources of power are solar & nuclear fusion. Fusion
is not yet possible to control. The current nuclear power uses fission. Our Sun
operates on fusion as source of its vast energy.

Did I hear it on this board..."Fusion is the energy of the future, and it always will be".

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Crap & Go?
Isn't that a YUGO?
No wait! That was Crap and Die! :lol:

I just love these smart google ads:
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 May 2007 - 10:57 AM.