Strange Love, Stop Worrying and Love the Bull

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

spooky..same with COT data....I'm noticing certain boards have posts stating that the commercials have got even longer the big contract. After them being short all the way up.....why would it be bullish now that they are long. Useless information as far as I'm concerned..I've never seen any consistency in COT data and how it related to price. Maybe others have...but I can't see it.

More of this sentiment is an art not a science perhaps? I look primarily at the large S&P COT data and can't think of a more spot-on indicator since the spring of 06. At the May 06 price peak, commercials were at bear market net short postion as well as at the 2/27/07 price peak. As those breaks unfolded the commercials rapidly reduced their shorts and/or went net long. The configurations between the commercials and the small specs the past 8 weeks have been as good, if not better, than at anytime this decade and remains at surprising bullish levels. It even looks like the large specs are about to revert to net short. I will agree with you that the COT can be inconsistent. It was a super indicator in the mid to late 80s/early to mid 90s but pretty worthless beginning about 96 until September of 2000 where it was then pretty much spot-on throughout the ensuing bear market.

Gary, what do you pay attention to? I watch the Small Speculators position. They have been net short since the week of March 12 and have been getting killed.

#12 Gary Smith

Gary Smith

• Traders-Talk User
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

spooky..same with COT data....I'm noticing certain boards have posts stating that the commercials have got even longer the big contract. After them being short all the way up.....why would it be bullish now that they are long. Useless information as far as I'm concerned..I've never seen any consistency in COT data and how it related to price. Maybe others have...but I can't see it.

More of this sentiment is an art not a science perhaps? I look primarily at the large S&P COT data and can't think of a more spot-on indicator since the spring of 06. At the May 06 price peak, commercials were at bear market net short postion as well as at the 2/27/07 price peak. As those breaks unfolded the commercials rapidly reduced their shorts and/or went net long. The configurations between the commercials and the small specs the past 8 weeks have been as good, if not better, than at anytime this decade and remains at surprising bullish levels. It even looks like the large specs are about to revert to net short. I will agree with you that the COT can be inconsistent. It was a super indicator in the mid to late 80s/early to mid 90s but pretty worthless beginning about 96 until September of 2000 where it was then pretty much spot-on throughout the ensuing bear market.

Gary, what do you pay attention to? I watch the Small Speculators position. They have been net short since the week of March 12 and have been getting killed.

Douglas, I look at the interplay between the commercials and the small specs (the non-reportables) in the large S&P contract. Since the beginning of this decade it has been rare to see the small specs net short and the commercials net long. That was the configuration that worked so well in the 80s through around 96 as well as the beginning of this new bull in 2003. In fact, the small specs were resolute bulls and net long throughout the devastating bear in the early 2000s. Fib's board at technicalwatch.com is a great place to keep up on the COT.