• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

I had to leave the office. At about 1:25, I noticed a big red volume stick, and I was itchin' to short the rally. I know that any time I'm itchin' to short a rising market, I need to get away. It's nausea that's the confirmation not confidence. Detachment is fine too, but feeling eager to take a trade is a bad thing. More seriously, I'm seeing some serious red stick volume going into the close and that warrants some care. Way more downside volume than anything we've seen in days. It's early still, and we don't yet have our fade signal. Probably Friday at the close. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 Bandit

Bandit

• Traders-Talk User
  • 308 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

I had to leave the office. At about 1:25, I noticed a big red volume stick, and I was itchin' to short the rally. I know that any time I'm itchin' to short a rising market, I need to get away. It's nausea that's the confirmation not confidence. Detachment is fine too, but feeling eager to take a trade is a bad thing.

More seriously, I'm seeing some serious red stick volume going into the close and that warrants some care. Way more downside volume than anything we've seen in days.

It's early still, and we don't yet have our fade signal. Probably Friday at the close.

Mark

Mark-- I am seeing more up volume than down!!

NYSE NASDAQ
Advances 1,870 (56%) 1,819 (57%)
Declines 1,336 (40%) 1,258 (39%)
Unchanged 155 (5%) 116 (4%)
Up Vol* 1,831 (55%) 1,591 (64%)
Down Vol* 1,419 (43%) 813 (33%)
Unch. Vol* 61 (2%) 69 (3%)
New Hi's 348 220
New Lo's 28 37
*in millionsmore...

Bandit-- Maybe you use a different table to get up vs. down volume?

#3 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

Looks like momentum is stalling.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=0&mn=5&dy=0&i=p46352495816&r=5863.png
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#4 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

I'm not reading too much into the weakness at the end of the day; It seems to be a setup for Friday morning antics. The consolidation had to occur inorder to get further, in the grand scheme of things today looks very bullish for the IT. I will be looking for a Friday afternoon run on stops. Currently I'm flat in my trading account; will load up long this evening. I'll dance around this position tomorrow morning and look for a good place to settle Long before lunch.

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

Going by the daily volume figures on your chart, momentum might be building as opposed to stalling.

We'll see.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

Mark-- I am seeing more up volume than down!!

NYSE NASDAQ
Advances 1,870 (56%) 1,819 (57%)
Declines 1,336 (40%) 1,258 (39%)
Unchanged 155 (5%) 116 (4%)
Up Vol* 1,831 (55%) 1,591 (64%)
Down Vol* 1,419 (43%) 813 (33%)
Unch. Vol* 61 (2%) 69 (3%)
New Hi's 348 220
New Lo's 28 37
*in millionsmore...

Bandit-- Maybe you use a different table to get up vs. down volume?

I'm looking at the futures volume on 5 and 10 minute charts. See the long thread with Semi not too far below.

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#7 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Going by the daily volume figures on your chart, momentum might be building as opposed to stalling.

We'll see.

Fib

Every one of those indicators on that chart has flattened out or is rolling over after a long up slope since march, especially interesting is the accum/dist. As for volume compare it with the last set of down volume bars, each of the up volume bars is less than their respective down volume bars and the biggest down volume bar last thursday was the first time since march that down volume exceeded the previous set of up volume.

Edited by Russ, 31 May 2007 - 06:15 PM.

"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#8 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

I'm not reading too much into the weakness at the end of the day; It seems to be a setup for Friday
morning antics.

The consolidation had to occur inorder to get further, in the grand scheme of things today looks very
bullish for the IT.

I will be looking for a Friday afternoon run on stops.

Currently I'm flat in my trading account; will load up long this evening. I'll dance around this position
tomorrow morning and look for a good place to settle Long before lunch.

I'd not be surprised by a gap up tomorrow. Too many Bears still, I think.

No need to rush shorting.

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#9 Rich

Rich

• Traders-Talk User
  • 761 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

Sell?

Not yet.

Rich

#10 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

I'm not reading too much into the weakness at the end of the day; It seems to be a setup for Friday
morning antics.

The consolidation had to occur inorder to get further, in the grand scheme of things today looks very
bullish for the IT.

I will be looking for a Friday afternoon run on stops.

Currently I'm flat in my trading account; will load up long this evening. I'll dance around this position
tomorrow morning and look for a good place to settle Long before lunch.

I'd not be surprised by a gap up tomorrow. Too many Bears still, I think.

No need to rush shorting.

Mark

I decided not to go long. Things don't smell right and I'm deep into a good problem. Think I'll stay away
from the tape and see if I can resolve a few issues I've been mulling.

Good Luck.