• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Have you worked with Elliott Wave analysis for any length of time?

By any means, you might be gifted about this, but I spent hours, and I mean I am an artist as much as I am an engineer and I did try! All I can say is, I can give you a completely random chart with only 3 or 4 cycles superposed and you will be able to identify a ton of EWP patterns --and worst of all you will convince yourself about a certain outcome or expectation at the end!!!

IMHO, most of the patterns are mere coincidence and they simply do not exist. I put together serious pattern searching algorithms using the discrete wavelet decompositions and the accuracy of any specific pattern or group of conditional patterns is much worse than the cycles, or the results are not any better than a simple momentum system, so why bother to decipher the patterns? Most of the general rules about the deep retracements, flats etc are naturally explained by the cycles and in a sense more scienfitically anyway...

I can not show to my partners any EWP chart, but the momentum, rate of change, correlation, cycles...

#12 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

By any means, you might be gifted about this, but I spent hours, and I mean I am an artist as much as I am an engineer and I did try! All I can say is, I can give you a completely random chart with only 3 or 4 cycles superposed and you will be able to identify a ton of EWP patterns --and worst of all you will convince yourself about a certain outcome or expectation at the end!!!

IMHO, most of the patterns are mere coincidence and they simply do not exist. I put together serious pattern searching algorithms using the discrete wavelet decompositions and the accuracy of any specific pattern or group of conditional patterns is much worse than the cycles, or the results are not any better than a simple momentum system, so why bother to decipher the patterns? Most of the general rules about the deep retracements, flats etc are naturally explained by the cycles and in a sense more scienfitically anyway...

I can not show to my partners any EWP chart, but the momentum, rate of change, correlation, cycles...

An experiment might be interesting. Lift a few charts from history and compose a few randomly; publish the
time series and let people forecast and let's see what we get for forecasts. I'd be willing to do some leg work.

I for one, have to know what chart I'm looking at (ie what market, what time frame; Time of Day or Year...) so any forecast I make from such a chart I predict to be worthless.

#13 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

ew is simple....all u gotta do is look at the chart and look for something that hasnt occured yet in terms of elliott..........remember .....something that exists but hasnt happened yet is coming..........thats why im a screaming bull......the epicenter of primary wave 3 up hasnt happened yet....so everything that is happening or has happened is justa series of ones n 2.s till it arrives......SJNORJT

>I can not show to my partners any EWP chart, but the momentum, rate of change, correlation, cycles...
<.......u forgot fibonacci......and clx analysis.

Edited by da_cheif, 18 June 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#14 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

I missed your multi decade Dow post so if you could direct me to it.

Here you go....and for others who have asked about this in the past.

Fib

Posted Image

My count is that the 2002 dip is a massive wave 4 correction. Wave 5 to come in my view not a three.

Edited by Tor, 18 June 2007 - 06:08 PM.

Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#15 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

An experiment might be interesting. Lift a few charts from history and compose a few randomly; publish the time series and let people forecast and let's see what we get for forecasts. I'd be willing to do some leg work.

Enjoy...

Posted Image

#16 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

An experiment might be interesting. Lift a few charts from history and compose a few randomly; publish the time series and let people forecast and let's see what we get for forecasts. I'd be willing to do some leg work.

Enjoy...

Posted Image

If you publish the series; comma, serperated value It might be useful to run some charting tools against;

#17 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

I missed your multi decade Dow post so if you could direct me to it.

Here you go....and for others who have asked about this in the past.

Fib

Posted Image

My count is that the 2002 dip is a massive wave 4 correction. Wave 5 to come in my view not a three.

big 3.s are not called recognition waves for nothing.....simply because few see it coming......like i sed......if it hasnt happened yet and it hasnt.....its coming.... :P....and besides 4.s dont bring out end of the world prognostications like 2002 did.....waves 2.s do that..... ;)

Edited by da_cheif, 18 June 2007 - 06:55 PM.

#18 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Enjoy...

Posted Image

If you publish the series; comma, serperated value It might be useful to run some charting tools against;

Oh. I see it is already given as being generated.

#19 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

Enjoy...

Posted Image

Enjoy...

Posted Image

It's ok. I think we both know what the outcome of such an experiment would be.

#20 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=M&st=1987-01-01&en=2007-12-31&i=p36430880995&a=68755843&r=1742.png