13. Paris
14. Singapore
15. New York City
16. Dublin
17. Tel Aviv
18. Rome
19. Vienna
20. Beijing

"The appreciation of the ruble against the U.S. dollar, combined with ever-increasing accommodation charges, has driven up costs for expatriates in Moscow," Mercer research manager Nathalie Constantin-Metral said in a statement.
A luxury two-bedroom in Moscow now rents for $4,000 a month; a CD costs $24.83, and an international newspaper, $6.30

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 June 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#2 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

Interesting, because I spoke to a Russian doctor (internist) last week and he said that dentistry is incredibly cheap in Russia ... $20 U.S. for a filling! So at least one thing is inexpensive there. Apparently doctors and dentists are low on the status list in Russia. Interesting. Best to all, C.C. :P

#3 youmast

youmast

• TT Patron+
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

A luxury two-bedroom in Moscow now rents for $4,000 a month; a CD costs $24.83, and an international newspaper, $6.30

That's true, but not quite true...

$4,000 for 2-beds means the central location with lots of luxury, sort of Moscow Beverly Hills. You can find 2-beds for $800 as well, but it would be something like abandon house near Cleveland, OH. An average 2-beds in good condition goes for $1.500

CD for $25... hmm... well, I paid something like that for the imported Rolling Stones album, very rare to find even in LA. But you can buy everything pirated for less than $4 near metro stations across the city, and legal stuff for $6-9.

International newspaper? Hah, let me buy "Pravda" for this money in Los Angeles! You never find it for $100. Local newspapers cost 50 cents.

I would say Moscow is one of the most expensive cities I ever seen. However this kind of image is only for those people with the highest standards of living. I mean "Bentley" for driving, "Metropole" for bedding, "5 stars Michellin" for eating... But if you an average guy with an average standards (Toyota, Holliday Inn, Soup Plantation).... you would be just fine in Moscow.

Lot's of contrasts in Moscow... We have two very close family-friends here. First one is one of the biggest investment banker. With them, we only go to the restaurants, where the main dish cost $70+ and Shateu Margo wine for $300+ ("Excuse me, is this the price or telephone number?) . The second family is low income. Other restaurants with them. Dinner for 4 people with very good Italian wine costs $70. I would not say that the 1st restaurans are much better than the 2nd one. :D