Photo

ANOTHER MORTGAGE LENDER MAY LIQUIDATE...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

ANOTHER MORTGAGE LENDER MAY LIQUIDATE...
July 31 (Bloomberg) -- American Home Mortgage Investment Corp. shares plunged 90 percent after the lender said it doesn't have cash to fund new loans, stranding thousands of home buyers and putting the company on the brink of failure.

Investment banks cut off credit lines, leaving American Home without money yesterday for $300 million of mortgages it had already promised, the Melville, New York-based company said in a statement today. It anticipates that $450 million to $500 million of loans probably won't get funded today, and the lender may have to sell off its assets.

``They can't function without access to capital,'' said Bose George, an analyst with KBW Inc. in New York. ``The company either has to file for bankruptcy or go through some type of rescue or restructuring, and either way will leave almost nothing for the common shareholders.''

Creditors made ``very significant margin calls'' in the last three weeks and American Home still has ``substantial unpaid margin calls pending,'' it said in the statement. Options may include ``the orderly liquidation of its assets.''

Futures:
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 31 July 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#2 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

do you think that is why the futures are tanking?

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

I think today's late selling had someone knowing.
But I was out of touch and thankfully out of the market.
Just came in an hour ago.

Shares of American Home, halted by the New York Stock Exchange early yesterday, plummeted $9.43 from their close on July 27 to $1.04 as of 4:15 p.m. in NYSE composite trading. They sold for $6.39 in pre-market transactions yesterday. Two years ago, they fetched almost $40.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 31 July 2007 - 09:15 PM.

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

Don't worry "the government" will bail out everybody. <_<

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

This is basically a run on the bank. Except that it's not individuals but funds and big lenders. AHM is a big name, but looking at what they offer, I came away thinking, "slime balls". High fees usually imply lax standards. I.e., they know who they are really lending to, and they know somone is reaching. That was my read, anyway. Those more expert can probably correct me. No matter what, this great news for (quality) bond buyers and probably the stock market. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 emdee

emdee

• TT Member+
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:03 AM

After being halted, AHM stock began trading around 2:00pm yesterday which seemed to coincide with an accleration of the market decline. Fwiw...Mike