14 replies to this topic

#11 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

lee,

"YM price will be 45 - 50 points higher than the cash."

Does Ym ever trade at discount to cash index?

Ym may trade below the cash index but that would most definitely put YM below the trigger point at which the arbitragers would initiate sell programs ... programs to sell stock and buy futures which, of course, would increase the futures price until it got back above the trigger point for sell programs. Conversely if YM increases above the fair value it will eventually hit the trigger for BUY programs and the arbitragers will buy stock and sell the futures until balance is restored once again near fair value for the futures contract.

Lee

Is there any site that lists Ym premium/discount data on real time?
vitaminm

#12 lscharpen

lscharpen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

[/quote] Is there any site that lists Ym premium/discount data on real time? [/quote] I really don't know. Most free data sites don't provide much but stocks and the standard stock indices. Personally, I subscribe to eSignal data and do receive real time data on the S&P 500 premium (difference between the S&P 500 futures contract and the S&P 500 cash index) but I don't think even that source provides the DJIA premium in real time. I admit, though, that I've never looked into it because I never really saw any need for it. I DO monitor the S&P 500 prem on a routine basis though. If it's important to you, you could try 'googling' djia premium or words to that effect and see what pops up. Or you could iinquire at whatever data sites you frequent to see what they might offer. Lee

#13 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

[quote name='lscharpen' date='Aug 2 2007, 02:23 PM' post='304149']
[/quote]

Is there any site that lists Ym premium/discount data on real time?
[/quote]

I really don't know. Most free data sites don't provide much but stocks and the standard stock indices. Personally, I subscribe to eSignal data and do receive real time data on the S&P 500 premium (difference between the S&P 500 futures contract and the S&P 500 cash index) but I don't think even that source provides the DJIA premium in real time. I admit, though, that I've never looked into it because I never really saw any need for it. I DO monitor the S&P 500 prem on a routine basis though. If it's important to you, you could try 'googling' djia premium or words to that effect and see what pops up. Or you could iinquire at whatever data sites you frequent to see what they might offer.

Lee
[/quote]

Why not just trade predictable Ym instead of Es?Any thoughts?
vitaminm

#14 lscharpen

lscharpen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

[/quote] Why not just trade predictable Ym instead of Es?Any thoughts? [/quote] I'm not sure why you include 'predictable' with Ym. I don't view Ym any more predictable than Es ... or any of the other indices. My initial reason for trading ES (or S&P futures) was that these contracts had the most liquidity. I'm not sure that still applies since I haven't looked into the trade volume of other index futures contracts recently but now I've got a data history and quite a few years of history trading primarily ES. Also, I'm approaching (maybe even AT) the age where you could say I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks! :) Lee

#15 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

[quote name='lscharpen' date='Aug 2 2007, 03:01 PM' post='304160']
[/quote]

Why not just trade predictable Ym instead of Es?Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I'm not sure why you include 'predictable' with Ym. I don't view Ym any more predictable than Es ... or any of the other indices. My initial reason for trading ES (or S&P futures) was that these contracts had the most liquidity. I'm not sure that still applies since I haven't looked into the trade volume of other index futures contracts recently but now I've got a data history and quite a few years of history trading primarily ES. Also, I'm approaching (maybe even AT) the age where you could say I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks! :)

Lee
[/quote]

Thanks for your inputs

http://www.tradingma...arterraving.cfm
vitaminm