• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

Roll of green foreseen: $60 million impact expected

You have no idea of how big this week's PGA is here in Tulsa.

The expected numbers of visitors in the area could reach 20,000 to 25,000 people each day.
And these are people with some cash to spend.
Some of the big winners will be restaurants, hotels, caterers, liquor stores, rental car agencies, dry cleaners and even floral designers.
Others who will directly see more and better work because of the golfers and their fans are common laborers -- carpenters, clean-up workers and landscapers.

To make room for the extra dinner business, Mahogany restaurant will set up an air-conditioned tent in its back parking lot, where the steakhouse will offer a buffet for $100 per person.
There are so many people working 12+ hour days to prep the course.
The greens have built in underground air blowing systems to keep them cool, but it has been so wet until a few weeks ago that they reversed the blowers to vacuums and used them to remove the excess water.

Streets are being cleaned and re striped.
Even the mayor was out picking up trash.
PGA Parking lot signs are up everywhere.
Restaurants have a full crew scheduled.
Bars which usually sell nachos are offering steaks.
People who live anywhere near Southern Hills have guests coming.
No rooms are available or are scarce.
Jones Riverside Airport is full of Gulfstreams.

Tiger has played here officially twice, although he was seen here last week getting in a round.
5 of the last 6 winners have led from the first round.
Although we have not seen 100 degree temps yet this year, next week's forecast is near there.
Tulsa Forecast
I bet Tiger will be smokin'.

Posted Image

Tiger Woods wins 3rd straight at Bridgestone, blowing away field by 8 shots

In the final event before the final major of the year, Woods buried Rory Sabbatini and the rest of the field Sunday at the Bridgestone Invitational for an eight-shot victory, sending his confidence soaring Sunday as he left for Southern Hills and the PGA Championship.

"This might just give me a little more confidence," Woods said.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 05 August 2007 - 11:37 PM.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

I heard the TV commentators at Bridgestone say today that Tiger's physical workout makes Gary player's look like gym routine of 70 year olds in rehab. Gary was the first on tour to use physical conditioning to help his game. Even Vijay's work habits pale in comparison to Tiger's regimen. So Tiger deserves every million he can get! Watching Tiger putt I could'nt help notice how still he keeps his head during after the putting stroke. That observation has helped reduce my putts by 5 or 6 per round.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

That observation has helped reduce my putts by
5 or 6 per round.

Yes it works!
I have also reduced my putts... to 5 or 6 per HOLE! :D

#4 Trend-Shifter

Trend-Shifter

• Traders-Talk User
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

I take it that the special text font is in that quiet golf commentator voice :D
Only in geometry can a line go into infinity.

#5 klono

klono

• Traders-Talk User
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

I remember Tiger Woods and his Dad appearing on the Mike Douglas show in the 60's when he was 3 years old. He was donned in a little Payne Stewart type outfit and and hitting the ball clean and sweet off of the tee about 10 times in a row with a driver. The man is blessed with gifts from above. He is very fortunate his father perceived and nurtured his talent.

#6 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:22 AM

Good thing he couldn't sing or dance. :)

#7 sglasson

sglasson

• Traders-Talk User
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

remember when golf used to be a sissy sport - not anymore - thanks Tiger!

#8 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

Everything about him is a joy to watch. Even my wife gets hooked into watching golf now, which is classic guy nap-time background noise. And there was a time in my lifetime that they wouldn't have let Tiger on any of the courses he now trounces the field on... The world is becoming a better place. It just takes longer than we'd like. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#9 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

Back in June I was working on the east side of Pittsburgh, PA, and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express near Oakmont, where the US Open was being played. Rates were about double the norm but in the evening there were tubs of free beer in the lobby. My guys and I thought that was pretty cool. There's an upscale italian restaurant right beside the motel. Roger, you're so right about "people with some cash to spend." One evening we went over to the bar in the restaurant, sat down, and I told the innkeeper I'd buy a round for everybody at the bar, which was just me, the two guys I was working with, and two other people at the time. Right then this old white-haired dude walked in (who looked like he knew his way around a bar stool), and I said, "Hey get this guy one too." He replied, "Well thank you, buddy," and sat down. A few minutes later five more guys came in and sat with him, and they bought the next round. And the next, and the next.... We stayed for hours and hours and the only money we spent was my first round for six people. Doug

#10 klono

klono

• Traders-Talk User
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

I remember Tiger Woods and his Dad appearing on the Mike Douglas show in the 60's when he was 3 years old. He was donned in a little Payne Stewart type outfit and and hitting the ball clean and sweet off of the tee about 10 times in a row with a driver. The man is blessed with gifts from above. He is very fortunate his father perceived and nurtured his talent.

ER...A LET'S make that the late 70's. I'm the old one, not Tiger.