Maria Bartiroma

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FrankT

FrankT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

I'm not sure why I see so many posts bashing Maria. Some of my trader friends even call her Backseat Bartiroma or worse because of her extended trips on corporate jets with many of the top CEOs in this country. That said, I say there is no evidence of this behavior. All I know for a fact is that she is a reporter, journalist, anchor and interviewer and, as such, she must be independent and neutral with respect to the market. CNBC prides itself as the best business channel in the world. A week or two ago, when most of us were worried, she calmed me by saying "global growth" more times in one sentence than I can even count. Since she believes the market will be higher at the end of year than it is now, that is good enough for me. CNBC would never act as a whore or a shill for this market. Accordingly, I say we should be all in because Maria knows best, notwithstanding her poor judgement in salivating over all the Enron and Worldcom analysts back in the late 90's. Remember she was new then and as she was quoted in Parade magazine, she thought business news was "sexy". We know she has grown by now into a true journalist.

#2 norton

norton

• TT Member
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

Frank, I remember back right after 911 when the dow was in free fall to the 7500 level, Maria said that maybe people should be shorting instead of buying. What! I have never heard such a prescient comment from a financial commentator, hell I would have bet she had thought that comment to be "unAmerican". Anyway, she may be smarter than she appears on the surface! norton
Please, help stamp out vibration.

#3 Drano

Drano

• Traders-Talk User
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

I admit to being disgusted by the sexist comments about her, but as far as being an unbiased journalist? and CNBC being the best financial news station in the world? That is hilarious. Many other web sites have belabored at length the bias of CNBC, and their failure to report on important market stories if they are negative. If you want to see a journalist who knows how to interview, watch Susie Gharib on Nightly Business Report.

#4 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

eeeks. Nothing personal but you can smell her coming. Buttaroma ! She hypes everything.
OTIS.

#5 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

"CNBC would never act as a whore or a shill for this market." You're being sarcastic...Right?

#6 Drano

Drano

• Traders-Talk User
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

"CNBC would never act as a whore or a shill for this market."

You're being sarcastic...Right?

Spooky, we can only hope. I may have to print and frame the post that started the thread, in case I ever need a good laugh.

Nothing personal, FT...

#7 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

I vote for turning the set off and studying the charts. Hard to learn zoology by watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

#8 Drano

Drano

• Traders-Talk User
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

I vote for turning the set off and studying the charts. Hard to learn zoology by watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great line.

I don't even have cable TV. I'm dependent on YouTube for CNBC's greatest hits.

#9 emdee

emdee

• TT Member+
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

Norton, If my memory serves me correctly, it was in October 2002 that she proclaimed to viewers "now is the time to short the market". I'm fairly certain that marked the bottom of the bear market to the day. At that point, I lost whatever respect I might have had for her. She had sold her soul to the WS beast. Mike

Edited by Brickie86, 15 August 2007 - 07:17 PM.

#10 FrankT

FrankT

• Traders-Talk User
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

My God, what ever happened to satire. Maria has great lips. I would love to be on a private jet with her. I don't know why it is reported all over the web that she is jealous of Erin and that Erin gets too much face time on CNBC.