Honest question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Why do they always make these rate cuts after hours and not during the market session ? I am not complaining here cuz i was long some XLF calls it added 4% to my account :D. I am making a completely unbiased observation here. If i were short, i would have been pissed off like mad. It's just plain criminal, no matter how you slice it or dice it !!

Edited by NAV, 17 August 2007 - 09:54 AM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,874 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

I think they want bears to be afraid to short. imho

#3 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Why do they always make these rate cuts after hours and not during the market session ? I am not complaining here cuz it added 4% to my account :D. I am making a completely unbiased observation here.
If i were short, i would have been pissed off like mad. It's just plain criminal, no matter how you slice it or dice it !!

First of all they don't make these rate cuts for the benefits of some short term traders who took speculative positions in either direction. They make them after hours so that the majority of the market participants could think it over and react when the market is open, not to create chaos.

Its very naive for the bears to assume that the Fed will stand aside and will let billions of ARM mortgages to reset at high rates and people to lose their homes and jobs.

This is all done for the BULLS not for BEARS. No one cares what bears are doing :)

The Fed will do everything in its power to stabilize the markets and economy. They will fight tooth and nail for people to keep their homes and jobs. They are under all kinds of political pressure too. Fed's mandate is to provide stability.. and they will do whatever it takes.

What the Fed did today is a very smart thing... They only cut the discount rate, that means they are keeping more powder dry. And they will probably cut the Fed funds rate at Sept 18th meeting too.
But its a huge confidence boost for the markets here. Maybe if it won't get things moving, but the Fed is at least ready and willing to act and has many more tools in its toolbox to keep acting.

I think once we stabilize from these intial gyrations today, the markets will consolidate for a few days and start grinding up into the Sept Fed meeting, in anticipation of another rate cut.

#4 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

Because of their masters, obviously Nav-the same ones they gave the heads up to yesterday. But, I maintain that after lying about not having problems-just two days ago-the Fed has shown panic, and to be mistrusted here-and people WILL notice.

I'm not sure if the bottom is in or if people were covering shorts in financials to meet margin calls. What fundamentally got fixed with the credit mess?

Not sure I understand the logic...

If you were short brokers.. oy're sitting on a lot of profit, why would you need to meet margin calls ?

Fundamentaly, we'll find out later.

Basicaly the defaults are still very low. There is more fear and speculation then real damage being done. And the market has priced in the end of the world already. We had multpiple discussions going on the safety of Money market funds.. Thats real fear.

So, which is it, no damage and full of speculation, or now they need to fight tooth and nail to stop a huge problem?

Edited by thespookyone, 17 August 2007 - 10:13 AM.

#5 skyymaster

skyymaster

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Why do they always make these rate cuts after hours and not during the market session ? I am not complaining here cuz i was long some XLF calls it added 4% to my account :D. I am making a completely unbiased observation here. If i were short, i would have been pissed off like mad. It's just plain criminal, no matter how you slice it or dice it !!

Comon NAV, you got to think like a Criminal :lol: I sold my ES longs yesterda at close. :angry: Can't beat, join em :P
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time.

#6 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

I was expecting the move up yesterday and was long oex calls..and long ES ..both closed out at the end of day...I never hold overnight unless hedged...but won't hold anything these days. Bought the calls for 3.80 ...sold them for 10.40...they opened at 26 this morning....lol

#7 steve

steve

• Traders-Talk User
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

I thinkk Countrywide (CFC) scared the Fed. They were on the brink yesterday.

#8 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

They make them after hours so that the majority of the market participants could think it over and react when the market is open, not to create chaos.

Don't you for a second think you are stating the exact opposite :lol: You can react during the market hours. But after hours, it utter chaos.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#9 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

They make them after hours so that the majority of the market participants could think it over and react when the market is open, not to create chaos.

Don't you for a second think you are stating the exact opposite :lol: You can react during the market hours. But after hours, it utter chaos.

Nah.

They announced an hour before the open on Friday. You had an hour to think what it means and what you should do when the market opens.

If you're short.. you had an hour to realize that you're screwed for the time being :cry:

#10 Venatici

Venatici

• Traders-Talk User
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

Why do they always make these rate cuts after hours and not during the market session ? I am not complaining here cuz it added 4% to my account :D. I am making a completely unbiased observation here.
If i were short, i would have been pissed off like mad. It's just plain criminal, no matter how you slice it or dice it !!

First of all they don't make these rate cuts for the benefits of some short term traders who took speculative positions in either direction. They make them after hours so that the majority of the market participants could think it over and react when the market is open, not to create chaos.

Its very naive for the bears to assume that the Fed will stand aside and will let billions of ARM mortgages to reset at high rates and people to lose their homes and jobs.

This is all done for the BULLS not for BEARS. No one cares what bears are doing :)

The Fed will do everything in its power to stabilize the markets and economy. They will fight tooth and nail for people to keep their homes and jobs. They are under all kinds of political pressure too. Fed's mandate is to provide stability.. and they will do whatever it takes.

What the Fed did today is a very smart thing... They only cut the discount rate, that means they are keeping more powder dry. And they will probably cut the Fed funds rate at Sept 18th meeting too.
But its a huge confidence boost for the markets here. Maybe if it won't get things moving, but the Fed is at least ready and willing to act and has many more tools in its toolbox to keep acting.

I think once we stabilize from these intial gyrations today, the markets will consolidate for a few days and start grinding up into the Sept Fed meeting, in anticipation of another rate cut.

Sorry, but it upsets me strongly to see this type of comments... "Bears" as you call, use financial instruments that are made available under the same system that Feds keeps and maintain. When you "bull" buy and sell, that is also speculative (here in the UK, you have to hold for 2 years if you want to have it considered as a investment and not a speculation) so lets not get any superior moral stance because you are long instead of short. If it is short term or not, it really does not matter. So these "bears" should be treated with the same consideration as bulls. Having said that you are right, the Fed job is to stabilize the markets and economy.
Still it was daylight robbery!