#31 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

In Tulsa, we are very health conscious.
Here are a group of folks jogging now:
Posted ImageTulsa World

I might add that everyone in Tulsa has quit smoking...Everytime they go into a restaurant...
...such as this health conscious, no smoking, CHHEEESECAKE FACTORY!
"Now they'll just have to wait in long lines for the chance to sample selections from the 18-page, 200-plus-item menu and savor those famously large portions." (At least they don't serve those deadly McDonald's hamburgers.)
:lol:

(Look at the BUTT on that last lady. Wait till next year! She'll need two booths.)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 August 2007 - 12:32 PM.

#32 lscharpen

lscharpen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

>hey, does anyone here live near (the the west coast) an IN-N-OUT burger ? gawd i LOVE those things !> > I live in Sacramento, CA. We've got several IN-N-OUT burger 'restaurants' in the area. I discovered them just before I got convinced I needed to lose weight. I DID, however, have the pleasure of a few visits to them. Fortunately for my changed circumstances, I hadn't gotten completely hooked so I CAN now resist the urge to stop there when I drive by. I have also learned to avert my eyes from their direction when I get close. As I mentioned, hamburgers were not at the top of my food list ..... BUT the IN-N-OUT would have eventually claimed a spot much higher on the list than other purveyors of so-called hamburgers. The quality of their menu items and the service they provide are both top-notch. :) Lee S.

#33 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

you should see the butt on my sister-in-law ! we have one of those smallish 1/2 bathrooms downstairs in the entertainment room and she tried to use it last time she was here and she COULD NOT GET HER BUTT THROUGH THE DOOR ! i laughed; this was not very popular. ___________________________________________________________________________ lee: i know what you mean ! YUM !!!!! that place will cure you of wanting to go anywhere else for a burger. i could easily eat ten of them (they are sort of small.).

Edited by humble1, 27 August 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#34 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Shrink-a size me: Losing weight eating only McDonalds?

http://www.azcentral...onalds0712.html

AN 84-year-old British couple who have eaten at their local McDonald's every day for the past 17 years have spent nearly $50,000 on hamburgers and fries.

Lee and Mary Humphrey have scoffed the same meal - a double hamburger each with a shared large fries - more than 6000 times and have never dined out anywhere else, Metro.co.uk reported.

The couple have their own table at the fast-food outlet and moved house two years ago to East Sussex so they could be within walking distance.

They admitted that McDonald's supplied the bulk of their diet.

"We don't eat big when we come home. We like to sit down in the afternoon and watch Deal or No Deal with a Magnum chocolate covered ice cream," Mrs Humphrey told Metro.co.uk

http://www.news.com....5013016,00.html

I don't believe this. There was a guy that was documented on TV (cable channel), and he did McD's for 6 months. He went to sevral doctors , nutritionists before started eating McD's everyday.

The short story is he almost died. Many of his medical results throughout showed his stats through the roof ! Doctors were advising him to quit or he'd die. (soon, as in months.) There is all of the wrong kind of "nutreints in theri food." and too much of everything that is not good for you.
OTIS.

#35 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

i have seen that documentary: it is called "supersize me." i HIGHLY recommend it; i totally believe the story. it is well supported by fact. really: get this thing and watch it. this is about a healthy man, who had all his blood work done before during and after the experiment by doctors who are all on the show. you really have to see it; it will help with temptation. ____________________________________________________________________________ pay no attention to those two british people who might be the wild exception (if really true), like men who smoked four pack a day of camels and lived to eighty.

Edited by humble1, 27 August 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#36 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

Boy has this thread gone off on a tangent...

People have a lot of free will. A LOT. That is not to say that there aren't people who are helpless. There are.

But the vast majority, the "average" person, has the ability to choose.

As stated here many times, if someone chooses to drink themselves to death, its a tragedy, a waste, sad, but you are not going to "legislate" that problem away. If they drive drunk, they should be put away because that puts me and my family at risk.

If you choose to smoke, you are a fool. It will kill you. But its your choice. But don't expect the rest of us to pay for your oxygen and doctor's visits and time lost from work. That ain't right.

If you choose to eat more than you need and exercise less, you are going to get fat. Period. Unless you make up one of those teeny tiny fraction of folks with medical disorders. Want to be fat? Your choice. Want to do something about it? Your choice.

mm

Mainman, I see things differently.

All addiction is bad, as it puts contol into someone elses hands. But what is addiction? One of my quotes is "choice of life is choice of addiction". But taste is aquired through growing up, BUT it isnt chosen in some cases. Smoking carry health warnings on packets, so you light up, you know what you are doing, so your addiction is physical.

Is there addition to junk food? I think yes. As individual tastes are moulded through a young age and people depend on it for their diet. Sure, can choose something else, but for many people...the question is will they?

If it is addictive, even on one level, then it must come with a health warning. not legislated aginst just a health warning, reminding people of the facts, same as smoking.

anything which is shown to be addictive, and which is known to cause harm (obesity leads to mental health issues, and quality of life issues), must come with a health warning.

Choice of life is choice of addiction, but if it is known to cause harm, actually proven, then it must come with a health warning. Sorry to repeat this, but it hasfar reachingimplications in many many areas of life, not just food.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#37 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

re: smoking addiction I'm a big personal responsibility sort, and I don't believe in blaming companies for our own choices. BUT, I'm an ex smoker and I know something about the process of breaking that habit AND that addiction. I did it 4 times! :lol: I'll tell you for a fact, at least as far as I'm concerned, the additives in standard cigarettes made it harder to quit. MUCH harder to quit. When I switched to American Spirit (nothing but tobacco) I was able to comfortably wean myself down under a pack, which I could not do on Camels or whatever crummy brand I smoked. No matter what, a nicotine supplement was required to finish the process but it was noticeably harder to quit Camels (which I liked less) than when I was smoking American Spirits. So, all in all, I'd say that many of the big name cig co.'s willfully make it easier to become addicted to cigarettes and harder to quit (IMO), and thus deserve more blame than they would otherwise have. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#38 colours

colours

• Traders-Talk User
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

I have watched Morgan Spurlocks ' film " Supersize Me " and to me it it came across as being disingenuous . Spurlock ate quantities of food at a single sitting that bordered on the incredulous. Anybody eating that much sheer quanity of high sodium ,high fat , and high carbohydrate food at a meal would cause his/her body damage , especially after an extended period of time . I found the film not an indictment of McDonalds as much as a showcase of the stupidity of one human being . Furthermore , I have yet to see a video of McDonalds employees forcing customers into the restaurant to eat . The key is EVERYTHING in MODERATION . It doesn't matter whether its' fast food , adult beverages or cigars. Too much of a good thing is TOO MUCH. I don't buy into victimology . Everybody is responsible for their own actions. End of story.

#39 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Cigarettes have been labeled as deadly since 1963. How many people do you know who started smoking AFTER 1963? (I agree they should carry the warning... but beyond that, you are on your own) Likewise food. How would we "label" a donut? How would we label prunes? "Caution - may cause diarrhea?" I don't mean to be facetious, but most people have a pretty decent basic idea about healthy versus non-healthy food. Its all about choice. Each one of us is free to make the right choice or not. Regardless of whether that choice is HARD or not. If we set out to do something HARD, then we work harder at it, or ask for help. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#40 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Cigarettes have been labeled as deadly since 1963. How many people do you know who started smoking AFTER 1963?
mm

OK folks, I started smoking in 1950, and we knew back then they were not good for you. The common statement was "there goes another nail in your coffin". We all knew they were bad, but we kept on anyway.
Hard to quit, sure, but I choose to quit just like I choose to start. Been quit 18 years now.
Why are you picking on fast food? Ever look in one of the "ALL YOU CAN EAT" type places. They all have double doors to get in. People think they need to get their moneys worth, so they eat more.
Buy now pay later - later - and later, never counting what will come, still a personal chose.
You have NO one to blame for doing anythig except your self.
There are a few, rare cases of medical conditions that can come into play, but NOT for the masses.
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!