15 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

Obesity Rates Vary by ZIP Codes and Property Values
Article Link

SEATTLE, Washington, August 28, 2007 (ENS) - Neighborhood property values predict local obesity rates better than education or incomes, finds a study from the University of Washington published online this week by the journal "Social Science and Medicine."
"Obesity is an economic issue," said Dr. Adam Drewnowski, director of the UW Center for Obesity Research and leader of the study.

My hypothesis is that to a large degree, wealth, poverty and health are a matter of motivation which promotes self discipline.
People who choose to not discipline themselves will be poor in many areas of life especially health, and finances.

Most folks who are up to their eyeballs in debt have chosen to be there, barring an unexpected catastrophe.
For example, it is often argued: "We need better financial education in this country."
I can't disagree with that, but I guarantee you that education will not change their habits unless they are motivated.
People who fear failure often choose failure and they are often very successful at it.

Do people smoke because they don't know the dangers or can't read the warnings?

There is a much larger overriding psychological component than an educational or geographical explanation.
IMHO

If I'm wrong, then fat people only need to change neighborhoods to lose weight. :D

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 August 2007 - 09:31 AM.

#2 Guest_Dewey_*

Guest_Dewey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

How about the feeling of being nervous? I'm nervous what do I do? If I'm feeling calm I probably have a better chance of making the right choice. If I'm nervous I'll be looking for something to calm that. A walk or some other physical activity would be ideal but it's 11:30 PM so I choose ice cream or booze or whatever. Maybe this is too simplistic but I believe that feeling nervous is the cause of most of these things.

#3 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

I am guessing that obese people remain obese because they do not know what they can do to become fit, or they do not think it is possible for them to lose weight. Perhaps seeing fit people around motivates people to be fit? Or it helps them see what they can do to become fit?

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

they do not know what they can do to become fit

That's what I disagree with.
They DO know. But they don't care. At least not enough to do anything.
They are not motivated for whatever reason.
I agree that it's very complex but it's hardly ever lack of knowledge.
It's not like there aren't any diet books or exercise programs out there.

It's like saying that people are in debt up to their eyeballs because they didn't know they would have to pay the bill.
Or that people smoke because they didn't know it was unhealthy.
Or it's like saying that the warning on cigarette packs is not big enough.
How big does it have to be before people quit smoking?

They only quit when they are motivated... from within.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 August 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#5 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:58 AM

How about the feeling of being nervous? I'm nervous what do I do? If I'm feeling calm I probably have a better chance of making the right choice. If I'm nervous I'll be looking for something to calm that. A walk or some other physical activity would be ideal but it's 11:30 PM so I choose ice cream or booze or whatever. Maybe this is too simplistic but I believe that feeling nervous is the cause of most of these things.

Bingo. The brain is the source of health, not the stomach or the blood. Mental illness is the
taboo scourge: anxiety, depression, bipolar, alcoholism, drug addiction, schizophenia,
personality disorders, suicide, etc.

Instead all we hear is "mommy says don't smoke and eat your spinach."
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

Maybe it's just the "Fat Virus".

At least 10 viruses and bacteria have now been shown to increase obesity rates, and the new study, presented Monday at a Boston meeting of the American Chemical Society, provides the first insight into how the viruses operate.

Adenovirus-36, or Ad-36, is known to cause respiratory and eye infections. Various animal species have been shown to gain excess weight after infection.

Thirty percent of obese Americans, compared with 11% of their thinner counterparts, have antibodies indicating infection, studies suggest.
If the results can be confirmed, Dhurandhar said, a vaccine against the virus could help reduce obesity rates in future generations.

#7 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:51 PM

Maybe it's just the "Fat Virus".

At least 10 viruses and bacteria have now been shown to increase obesity rates, and the new study, presented Monday at a Boston meeting of the American Chemical Society, provides the first insight into how the viruses operate.

Adenovirus-36, or Ad-36, is known to cause respiratory and eye infections. Various animal species have been shown to gain excess weight after infection.

Thirty percent of obese Americans, compared with 11% of their thinner counterparts, have antibodies indicating infection, studies suggest.
If the results can be confirmed, Dhurandhar said, a vaccine against the virus could help reduce obesity rates in future generations.

Vaccine eh ...$$$$$$$ for guess who. ;) :rolleyes:

Isn't it amazing how these 'viruses' have caused this rapid rise in obesity, only recently, and only in countries where people are eating more and exercising less.

I have been involved with 'exercise/sport' all my life and many of my friends are personal trainers, atheletes. I also have many friends who are overweight or obese, and who periodically ask for my help. The 'lifecycle' of their attempt to lose weight are always the same pattern, and is as follows:
- they are very enthusiastic about 'losing some fat, getting fit'

- they ask alot of questions, and are given all the necessary information on exercises and nutrition

- they ask more questions, as a delaying tactic now, and I usually end up writing it all down for them, with a specifics for their body type, aims etc.

- they stop talking about it, when asked, they've done nothing because ( and pick your favourite)

.... they need to join a gym, but it 'too expensive', 'not one near enough', 'don't like the muscle heads at the local gym' ad infinitum,

- have a gym membership...but 're-insert above list of excuses'...and thus have never used it, except usually for the first few free introductory sessions gyms insist they attend ( during the enthusiam phase).

- they're job means they are 'too tired/busy' right now...but get to it later.

- they're not feeling well at the moment ( hint. they are not healthy, which tends to lead to not feeling well)

- they've got 'too much going on' in their lives right now - never really specified how this prevents them eating properly or exercising...

- At this point, there's kind of a standard speech of support, "er, well, I see...you know all that stress and feeling tired..well exercise will help, and eating better will help, and you don't need a gym, just start walking ...just do anything..."...of course, you know its pointless, because you've seen the cycle so many times.

- The person continous to gain weight, feel bad, I won't even going into the psychological and medical conditions of most people, cupboards fulls of pills...and ailments.....

People want to lose weight, they know how to do, but they can't do it. They are not equipped with the discpline required, either due to genetics/educations/family background/ life stress or combination thereof. You can 'lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

Obesity is NOT the problem to me, it is a symptom of the real problem, which is people in general lack the psychological tools to cope with their environment, we are essentially 'rats in a maze' where we are stressed, and large lumps of cheese lie around that make us feel better - eating feels good, there's no getting around it, so most people eat to deal with life stress.

I guess we have a couple of choices -
1. Hide all the food
2. Give people the psychological tools of self-discipline, deferred gratification, stress management etc
3. Change our environment/lifestyles to be less stressful

Obviously none of those will happen, so 10 years from now the problem will have grown,er, literally. :wacko:

Mark.

Edited by entropy, 30 August 2007 - 06:02 PM.

Question everything, especially what you believe you know. The foundation of science is questioning the data, not trusting the data. I only trust fully falsified, non vested interest 'data', which is extremely rare in our world of paid framing narratives 'psy ops'. Market Comments https://markdavidson.substack.com/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznkbTx_dpw_-Y9bBN3QR-tiNSsFsSojB

#8 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

I've never had a weight problem but it wasn't because I exercised or anything. Food just wasn't my issue. I was never a junk food junkie. Always a light eater. No sweet tooth. It was blind luck - I had nothing to do with it. I knew I had it easy and have always been grateful. You're talking about stress and I think this is the thing I never knew about exercise till recently. Maybe everyone else already knows this but I sure didn't. I use to think people who went to the gym had way too much time on their hands. :) I really did. I always wished they would come over to my house and I would give 'em chores to do or a kid to watch and then they wouldn't need a gym. lol But when I started biking, I found how relaxing it is. It feels like I'm on vacation when I'm on the bike. It must feel this way too for runners or walkers or swimmers or all those people who go to gyms. :) I never realized that exercise is a way to cope with stress till recently. (duh, you say) Your mind goes blank and you're just focused on achieving whatever it is you have as your goal for that day. It's been utterly wonderful to learn. There is no way on earth I would exercise because it's good for me. I exercise because it feels so freaking good. I wish more people knew how good it feels. It's not another chore. It's a break from the daily grind. But you couldn't have told me that before I experienced it myself.

Edited by esther231, 30 August 2007 - 07:06 PM.

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

There have been amazing discoveries recently showing a connection between virus and cervical cancer, and virus and stomach ulcers. But my grandkids spend hours a day video game playing. I doubt if they have ever played outside with a ball. I used to live outside in the summer. Biking, swimming, football, baseball, anything outside. I wonder if the amount of excercise could affect one's weight?

Edited by Rogerdodger, 30 August 2007 - 08:16 PM.

#10 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

Makes sense to me.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells