• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

One of the most important concepts learned in medical school is "the patient is sick, not you". In other words, try to stay focused on the illness and the patient and do not try to personalize everything. A critical concept. In this whole "obesity epidemic" debate/hysteria/freakout we tend to get lost in the hype. Forever mankind has had the option of eating too much or not, whenever supplies were available. History is loaded with fat, bloated and drunk leaders, civlizations destroyed by gluttony (think: ROME) etc. Whether any of that is important to the individual with weight concerns or not is another story. For the "average guy" who works, raises kids, has a home to care for, family to visit, bills to pay, a life to live, it is important to help them understand that with some simple information about calories and self control they have the power to control their intake properly. In addition it is important to let them know that they can find 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week to do some aerobics, (treadmill, bike, Nordic Track, etc). These two data bits alone - net nutritious calories and 1000 kCal exercise per week, will take care of the weight problem for just about anybody. (this assumes an otherwise healthy person - i.e. no oddball disease like untreated thryroid, cushings disease, etc. there are a few....) Anything else is either unproven hype - like weird health food advice, odd discussions about carbs/herbs/minerals/supplements and on and on.... that will alienate and confuse the average person and is unnecesarry and often false. Likewise the exercise advice. There is other exercise a person can do, IF THEY WANT TO for personal gain, goals, performance, etc. but it has nothing to do with maintaining general health. When you can help someone see the SIMPLICITY of a basic healthy calorie count and routine moderate exercise they win and stay slim and healthy. I know. I do it myself and I've helped hundreds of patients over the years. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#12 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

Interesting stories and perspectives! I cannot speak for everybody, but I think that losing weight can be very easy and it does not require continuous hard-work, time and money. Sounds like I am trying to sell a miracle weight loss program. :P Let me share my thoughts which, hopefully, may work for some of those looking to lose weight.

You can lose weight by:
1) Reducing input to your body - Eating less (less calories, carbs, sugar and fat)
2) Increasing output from your body - Exercising more (There are other ways that may work, like, regurgitating most of what you eat, or using machines that exercise for you. :blink: )
The tricky thing is you have to do both at the same time, or make sure not to sacrifice one when you do the other. I, for one, eat a lot more when I exercise more, and the easiest way for me to lose weight is to eat less. A different combination may work for you.

It saves time and money to eat less and you can do it in baby steps. Try cutting out that can of soda or stop eating when you are full and save the food for later. Observe yourself when you eat. Are you eating because of hunger? craving? or stress? Only eat when you enjoy the food and savor every bit of it. If you are busy with other things when you eat, you may continue to eat even when you are full. If you think it is hard to eat less, it is all in your mind. Try it, and you know you can do it.

If you are eating because you are stressed, you might want to try yoga or meditation. Sounds new-agey, but worth a try since you can do it at home without any special equipment or a trip to the gym.

Opt for the stairs instead of the elevator, opt to walk instead to drive, whenever practical, are examples of simple exercise that you can easily add to your routine.

Edited by risktaker, 31 August 2007 - 08:04 PM.

#13 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:30 PM

Opt for the stairs instead of the elevator, opt to walk instead to drive,

Ever notice how all of the parking spaces nearest to the health club door... are always taken? :D

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 September 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#14 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

History is loaded with fat, bloated and drunk leaders, civilizations destroyed by gluttony (think: ROME) etc.

Um, MM, Rome was destroyed by lead poisoning and the colossal stupidity that generations of lead-addled, inbred plutocracy wreak.

;)

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#15 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Yes, lead traces have been found in the remains of the bones at Pompeii, and there was probably a lot of lead poisoning... And the rise of Christianity and the plagues and the shifting populations and all the other myriad explanations for the "fall" of Rome.... My point..... is that one can blame many things for the "obesity problem" or you can choose to eat right, exercise a little and take ownership of your body..... keep it simple and, in the words of Ali G "keep'n it real" Mark, you are truly a renaissance man! An excellent trader and a classical historian! :) mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#16 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

"Semper ubi sub ubi!" I'm just fresh out of my "Lead-safe work practices" course and like a guy with a hammer seeing nails everywhere, I see lead dust. :lol: BTW, the "fall" of the Roman Empire took a long, long time. Despite our images, it wasn't like the visgoths just took over the city and it was gone. In case anyone cares. It sort of ended with whimper, not a bang. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter