Minority

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

The majority has a directional bias. Therefore I am neutral. From a contrarian stand point I can not lose. I am in the minority. This board is all about being a contrarian. Here, I solved your problem. Be neutral; it practically guarantees you are going against the opinions of the majority all the time and threfore you are right. Denleo

#2 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

The majority has a directional bias. Therefore I am neutral. From a contrarian stand point I can not lose. I am in the minority. This board is all about being a contrarian. Here, I solved your problem. Be neutral; it practically guarantees you are going against the opinions of the majority all the time and threfore you are right.

Denleo

Can you make money on that too ? :)

#3 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

Can you make money on that too ? :)

of course, if you are a broker, if you have cheap money....or if you sell options you can hedge, etc.

klh
best,
klh

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,879 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

Therefore I am neutral.

Very interesting position.
I was just looking at Mark's post below and saw he had a lot of neutral readings.
Sentiment remains fairly neutral except for the ocassional jump, one way or the other.
$VIX is contracting and looks like it should pierce the upper BB soon (tomorrow) then my guess is a reverse.
However brief. :huh:
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$VIX&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&i=p12461623064&a=27927380&r=6497.png

#5 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

Can I make money? I have been selling naked options all my life. Every now and again I have to buy them back with a loss, but most of the time it has been great. And please guys, don't respond to this with Niederhoffer reference or how you read everywhere that it is dangerous. You guys are contrarian, and proud ones. So, when everybody says it is a bad idea, what do you do? You proudly do the opposite. Denleo

#6 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:54 PM

I have a friend, who does something similar - selling naked index puts and then hedging with futures. He makes money consistently. Now it is not possible that the market will distribute free money to anybody. So, we analyzed his strategy in mathematical terms. Basically, what he is betting as is that the market will not crash. A smart bet because crashes are extremely rare. However, when you practice it over long time, you may meet a black swan. Ask those bond guys....who ever thought the commercial paper market will freeze within 2 weeks?
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#7 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

but I agree that as long as crowd is worried about what you are doing, it is a winning bet.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#8 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:36 AM

About 70% of the options expire worthless, or was it 80%?!? ;)

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,033 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

I used to do a lot with options, especially diagonals. It's a very profitable strategy, but when things get funky, you gotta dance some nimble cha-cha. I stopped providing my service back in the late 90's because I figured that we were going to see some nasty, volatile action and that was a great way for amateurs to get really hurt. I can trade out of trouble, but most of the folks who take an options service don't pay close enough attention or don't follow instructions well enough. All in all, naked options writing is for pros and those who live in the market like the pros. Part-timers and rank amateurs (and grail seekers, etc.) need not apply. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#10 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

Absolutely agree, I don't sell naked options unless it is a dull expiration week and we get a lot of those, I mostly do iron condor type or other limited risk strategies. You can still add 1 or 2% per month to your portfolio. I try to generate the remaining from the long/short directional positions or sell options after a steep sell off or a rally for a few days at least. You can really make a lot of money when the stocks head for a consolidation right after the big move. The options usually get too expensive once the move become obvious, I sell those...