Bottoming

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 gismeu

gismeu

• Traders-Talk User
  • 908 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

many things can be pointed to depeding on ones bias I suppose. I am looking things that are objectively measureable. for instance the spread being paid on put options is very high and one would think this is bullish. The fact is when this has occurred in the past it presaged large declines. This can be intepreted as smart money paying up to make profits or just a drying up of buying power either way large declines followed. Volume ratios are very telling also. dollars in bear funds very low, blah, blah, blah.

Skott,

where do you find the data for the spread being paid on put options or which index do you look at, and is it front month option and ATM options???

many thanks, gis
If you can't buy Happiness, STEAL IT!

#12 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

sorry, qis..... proprietary data.

as for me whining ogm....... I haven't even posted here in months. You are a sign of it also........ ignore reality and live for the day. Tomorrow will come for you day trippers

many things can be pointed to depeding on ones bias I suppose. I am looking things that are objectively measureable. for instance the spread being paid on put options is very high and one would think this is bullish. The fact is when this has occurred in the past it presaged large declines. This can be intepreted as smart money paying up to make profits or just a drying up of buying power either way large declines followed. Volume ratios are very telling also. dollars in bear funds very low, blah, blah, blah.

Skott,

where do you find the data for the spread being paid on put options or which index do you look at, and is it front month option and ATM options???

many thanks, gis

#13 eminimee

eminimee

I don't care who's fur is flying...

• TT Member
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

OGM...honest question....you are long over 100 stocks?...I seem to remember you saying that anyways...if by chance you have to sell in a hurry...do you have a master page on your trading system where you can sell everything? ...Or would you have to do it individually? TIA

#14 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

Teaparty, he doesn't have to sell his positions, he would hedge them in the futures or options, this would be the fastest and sane reaction...

#15 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:32 PM

OGM...honest question....you are long over 100 stocks?...I seem to remember you saying that anyways...if by chance you have to sell in a hurry...do you have a master page on your trading system where you can sell everything? ...Or would you have to do it individually?
TIA

I have stops on most. But... I don't foresee situation where I would have to sell everything in a hurry. Except maybe for a big crash, or another 9/11 type event.

My 2 main weighted sectors are very defensive in nature. Telecoms and Large cap pharmas. Quite a few stocks/CEF's that are simply there to pay dividends.

It would be a problem if I had 100+ of very speculative, market direction sensitive positions, then I'd be screwed. But its not the case. A lot of positions are pretty conservative in nature.

The rest I just manage dynamicaly. Taking some off as stuff runs up, relocating into what I think will move next and so on.

Plus I write calls to lock in profits on stocks that I don't want to sell.

Btw, I started allocating some into shorts. Trying to pick a few weaklings here, to balance the stuff out.

OXM, MCHP, COO, MAR, WAG so far. And more speculative short.. STAR.

Besides, as Kisa said, I can always hedge if I smell reall trouble.

Edited by ogm, 09 October 2007 - 12:36 PM.