50/50 chance 25 bp and no cut.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

while I agree any more cuts = significant moral hazard, I am warry of the fed's willingness to prostitute itself in the name of our capital markets...

Moral Hazard, Prostitute, ... Thats silly talk.

Fed is doing their job. Maintaining price stability. They stepped in during the crisis situation, but now the crisis part is over. Markets will just have to readjust expectations to slower growth and sluggish profits, and better lending standards.

On the other hand corprate profit margins are getting squeezed due to higher input costs, thats where the no rate cut comes in. Once again the Fed's mandate is to provide price stability and market stability.

Maintaining the currency stability isn't Fed's job, but they are very mindful of it too. And they can't risk sudden fast moves in the currrency, that will be also destabilizing to the economy.

Since we don't have crisis, there will be no 50 bp cut. I actually think 25 bp cut is also pretty questionable here, but possible.

Gold has no long term demand, except maybe for bling bling in India.

In any case if the Fed doesn't cut its good news for the dollar and bad news for gold and oil. Thats why I'm taking a risk that Gold and Oils will go down on the news.

Edited by ogm, 31 October 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#12 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,036 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

I'd bet with the FF futures guys, if I were you. Not that you aren't smart, but they know the game better than anyone. It's the bread and butter business. I'd expect incrementalism from the Fed until we get more resets. Watch LIBOR too. I think that might be the sticking problem. A lot of ARM's reset based upon that. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#13 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Mark, my bet here is mostly with the dollar, then against the FF guys. IMO its 50/50, but they are a little more certain. However the dollar is coming due here, considering the strongly negative snetiment around it. So if the dollar reacts to whatver the Fed does positively, considering the expectations, then commodities will react negatively. I'm not betting on any changes in long term trends, just a short term opportunistic trade. Weekly and Monthly RSI on the dollar index are under 30. Its either freefall or a bounce is coming.

Edited by ogm, 31 October 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#14 hare_bear

hare_bear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

i'm with you OldGoodMan. shrt GLD 78.26. will let you know how that werks out :redbull:

#15 MacRo

MacRo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 421 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

Moral Hazard, Prostitute, ... Thats silly talk.

Fed is doing their job. Maintaining price stability. They stepped in during the crisis situation, but now the crisis part is over. Markets will just have to readjust expectations to slower growth and sluggish profits, and better lending standards.

On the other hand corprate profit margins are getting squeezed due to higher input costs, thats where the no rate cut comes in. Once again the Fed's mandate is to provide price stability and market stability.

Fed has two mandates--manage inflation, and unemployment. Please cite me the price stability mandate. "Asset price inflation..?" :lol:

Gold has no long term demand, except maybe for bling bling in India.

Gold is a liquidity sponge of a hedge against inflation, but there are also fundamental supply and demand components that inform its movement. There is no new supply. Since peaking at 2,645 tonnes in 2000, global gold production has fallen by 5.6%, despite prices having risen by 190% since then. When demand skyrockets (gold jewelry demand is up 23% for 1H07), and supply cannot compensate, prices increase.

And saying India is the only global consumer of gold, jewelry in particular is folly.

You might be surprised, especially if the Feds rein in spending. The buck is cheap. That means bonds might be relatively cheap, even at low rates.

Mark

Asset backed commercial paper is cheap too, doesn't mean it can't get cheaper or anybody necessarily is itching to buy it.

When China, Japan, & other SWFs start chasing yield and stop blindly dumping their money into US sovereign debt (and they already seem to be getting primed to start), what are our options when all we can do is repo it out to the UK? :sweatingbullets: