Mine's bigger than yours. So what?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,881 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

"Consumers aren't impressed anymore with bigger hard drives or faster processors. That's not as exciting as a bigger TV," Katayama said. "And in Japan, kids now grow up using mobile phones, not PCs. The future of PCs isn't bright."

Story Link
PCs Losing Their Relevance in Japan
Sunday November 4, 3:23 pm ET
By Hiroko Tabuchi, Associated Press Writer
Bye Bye PCs? PCs Being Pushed Aside in Japan by Array of Gadgets With Similar Power, Speed

TOKYO (AP) -- Masaya Igarashi wants $200 headphones for his new iPod Touch, and he's torn between Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3 game consoles. When he has saved up again, he plans to splurge on a digital camera or flat-screen TV.

There's one conspicuous omission from the college student's shopping list: a new computer.

The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles, and digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.

"A new PC just isn't high on my priority list right now," said Igarashi, who was shopping at a Bic Camera electronics shop in central Tokyo and said his three-year-old desktop was "good for now."

"For the cost, I'd rather buy something else," he said.

Overall PC shipments in Japan have fallen for five consecutive quarters, the first ever drawn-out decline in PC sales in a key market, according to IDC. The trend shows no signs of letting up: In the second quarter of 2007, desktops fell 4.8 percent and laptops 3.1 percent.

#2 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

"Consumers aren't impressed anymore with bigger hard drives or faster processors. That's not as exciting as a bigger TV," Katayama said. "And in Japan, kids now grow up using mobile phones, not PCs. The future of PCs isn't bright."

Story Link
PCs Losing Their Relevance in Japan
Sunday November 4, 3:23 pm ET
By Hiroko Tabuchi, Associated Press Writer
Bye Bye PCs? PCs Being Pushed Aside in Japan by Array of Gadgets With Similar Power, Speed

TOKYO (AP) -- Masaya Igarashi wants $200 headphones for his new iPod Touch, and he's torn between Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3 game consoles. When he has saved up again, he plans to splurge on a digital camera or flat-screen TV.

There's one conspicuous omission from the college student's shopping list: a new computer.

The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles, and digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.

"A new PC just isn't high on my priority list right now," said Igarashi, who was shopping at a Bic Camera electronics shop in central Tokyo and said his three-year-old desktop was "good for now."

"For the cost, I'd rather buy something else," he said.

Overall PC shipments in Japan have fallen for five consecutive quarters, the first ever drawn-out decline in PC sales in a key market, according to IDC. The trend shows no signs of letting up: In the second quarter of 2007, desktops fell 4.8 percent and laptops 3.1 percent.

this story sounds like it could have been written in 1999 :lol: .

ed rader

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,881 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

this story sounds like it could have been written in 1999

I was thinking the same.
PC's are great but so are digital clocks.

#4 danzman

danzman

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

I'm in the market to buy a new computer....first since 2004. Just when you think you're fine, new software comes out and soaks up processing power. I'm browsing, listening to music, and running scans all day and night...quad core to the rescue. The only problem is figuring out whether to go 64-bit or 32 with Windows Vista. You only get about 3 gigs max memory with Vista 32. I remember when 16 Mhz was fast...and 128K...that was great in the early 90's...for that matter, the PC Jr was quite fast at 8mhz back in the day. I can't believe I've been programming since 1985. What's crazy is how traders have been using computers since the 60's to find an edge in the market. I believe Ed Seykota was one of the earliest in this regard. It took 40 years before these old trend following systems stopped working so great (but they still do OK). D
I don't make predictions, I just react.

#5 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:06 AM

Isn't it a bit hard to do programming with those sunglasses on? :)
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !