Jobs report and gold

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PMILLY

PMILLY

• Traders-Talk User
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:06 AM

Hey skott. I know you picked up NEM yesterday afternoon, and you are going to get your morning gap up to 43.50, at least it looks like that now. Guess the bad jobs report gave gold a good jump start. Good call! I'm actually looking to short NEM today if it gets close to 44 again and looks weak. What's your game plan today? Stockbucks or hiker or anyone else feel free to respond as well. If I remember correcly, Stockbucks is still long as well. Pmilly

#2 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:14 AM

FYI - One thing worth watching, however, is the continued high price of oil. US light crude went over $37 a barrel this morning. There are concerns about the stability of Venezuela, and we don't mean just the emotional makeup of their leader. Yesterday, the Venezuelan Ambassador to the United Nations resigned in protest over the policies of Chavez. Venezuela is OPEC's third largest producer. On the gold subject, am looking to reenter gold shorts early next week, as long as Feb hi in NEM & AU not taken out. Closing some premkt longs now. Later...

#3 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the compliment. I am not sure what my plan is yet. Probably will make a quick decision. I am kinda wanting to short em but then I always want to short em. :blink: My intermediate sell has a a few days left and we almost hit a 7% drop in gold stocks this week. I don't know if we are going to turn around and drop hard and drop again 6%. You know I have a problem with exits so I am going to be disciplined this time ;) I think I am going to turn my attention to the s&p.... good luck scott

#4 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:20 AM

BGO should be a good short term play today.
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#5 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:26 AM

mss - watching BGO & GG for quick plays..

#6 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:39 AM

In keeping with my goal to not be greeday I sold 8 minutes after the open. quick 3%. I could miss more but hey. Scott

#7 PMILLY

PMILLY

• Traders-Talk User
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:43 AM

Good job. Who cares if you miss more. 3% that quick is a nice return! I'm just glad I didn't short yesterday, but still looking.... Pmilly

#8 stockbucks_coffee

stockbucks_coffee

• Traders-Talk User
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:51 AM

didn't set the alarm so just got up overslept :lol: ...in the west coast...okay still got my longs...and will wait later today on whether to hold or sell...not much to lose since I got them on Wednesday...

#9 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:52 AM

entered small short NEM on early run toward 44. Taking profits if we don't move below 43.50 very soon. Just a quick play.

#10 stockbucks_coffee

stockbucks_coffee

• Traders-Talk User
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:00 AM

PMilly...can't really tell on daytrading, s/t trade is what i do these days...but i think gold/silver stocks could continue higher today and follow thru next Monday... just MHO. good luck trading. SC.