Futures up on Geithner plan

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

Plan to be announced before the bell. Story.

#2 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

That is just simply awful. I guess I am not surprised at the futures response, just surprised at how reckless they are getting.
“be right and sit tight”

#3 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

I'm not getting why all of these vastly different estimates are thrown out there in the same short article. Which is it? $75 Billion, $100 Billion, $1 Trillion, $2 Trillion, or 4 Trillion??? >>>>a plan in which Treasury will use $75-100 billion from last year's $700 billion Wall Street bailout. ... >>>>>"The government can then come in and buy these assets on a large scale at these prices. (Roughly) $1 trillion is not enough; it probably needs to be twice that," >>>>>Our guess is that we would need to take $4 trillion out of the market and off the supply that private financial intermediaries must hold in order to move financial asset prices to where they need to be in order to unfreeze credit markets ...
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#4 BigBadBear

BigBadBear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

sounds good, we should be up about 500points by eod. Geither has finally shown why the President put so much confidence in him.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

Gene Inger (Tuesday night): "It was anticipated that Geithner would have the ‘toxic asset’ proposal by now; probably in a couple of days (however, this is now a bit tardy to deflect some contingency risk)."

#6 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

Might indeed be a nasty gap up, bleh. Stupid government intervention crap.
“be right and sit tight”

#7 BWTrader

BWTrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

Those in FAZ will be in for some shock therapy on the open. Maybe things will improve for them as the day wears on. And maybe not. :lol: BW

#8 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thursday, March 05, 2009

A lot of the crash markers appear to be there.. execept one

Government intervention..

Pretty much before every crash I've seen, there is the usual government intervention that causes a flurry of short covering. Perhaps they can see it too and try to prevent it.

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#9 Funky Monk

Funky Monk

• Traders-Talk User
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Thursday, March 05, 2009

A lot of the crash markers appear to be there.. execept one

Government intervention..

Pretty much before every crash I've seen, there is the usual government intervention that causes a flurry of short covering. Perhaps they can see it too and try to prevent it.

coordinated world-wide rate cut 07:00EST 10-8-08

snapshot_379.png

10-9-08

snapshot_389.png

#10 VolPivots

VolPivots

• Chartist
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

I was out for most of the ramp, so no chasing US index futures for me. Otoh, aussie index futures down under at 3527-30 were a compelling opportunity when HK and Japan were up over 2%;) The easiest trade del noche...shorted the $%^& out of T-notes when they were down a mere 0.11% not long before el dumpo (now flat)....don't get much easier money than that.