Photo

Fib-You've been especially sharing lately!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

Fib-You've been especially sharing lately! But, a former student wants the real stuff. Tell me about fashion, please-you know what I'm asking ;)

Edited by thespookyone, 18 January 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

For those who may not know what Spooky is referring to, the fashion industry has this propensity of leading the direction of the stock market by about 4-6 months with the kind of colors and silhouettes that are designed that (hopefully) reflect the mood of the masses later on. As an example, this is what I posted last February of what was being shown for fall of 2009 at that time and what it meant for the stock market:

As a starter, black continues to be hot, but now we're seeing jewel tones and red mixed in which suggests that even though things will be bearish, glimmers of bullish hope should be seen later on this year.

It's also worth noting that many of the silhouettes being shown here we're last seen in the late 1970's and the early 1980's period which could also suggest that there will be enough behind us where an economic expansion could begin in this same time period.

Not a bad interpretation as it turned out.

The month of January is the time in which buyers are placing orders for summer 2010, and usually there isn't too much "trend wise" for anything worth trading on (as is the marketplace with summer vacations and the low volume that goes with it). However, fall 2010 is now in its sample stages and early indications are showing dark colors (blacks and grays) and sloppy silhouettes (as opposed to form fitting) with a romantic touch (laces, sheers) seems to be the early theme (you saw a lot of this last night at the Golden Globes but in whites and naturals). Much of this is a follow up to last falls outlook of the early 1980's that led to the kind of fashions worn by Madonna during her "Borderline" days in the mid 80's. So the early interpretation here is that the markets should continue to be in bull mode, but with the dark colors and sloppiness, next fall looks to be another point of consolidation (chop) in the intermediate term trend that began last March.

We'll have a better handle on this after Fashion Week in February, and I'll post any follow up comments to this forecast at the usual place.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Fib! This is just awesome. I read somewhere the length of the skirts was also an indication. I have a valid reason for business to carefully examine Victoria's Secret catalogs for this summer... :lol:

#4 DrWu

DrWu

• Traders-Talk User
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

In a similar fashion (pun intended), I have found data from sewage treatment facilities to be quite helpful...........really, I'm not sh***ing you!

Edited by DrWu, 18 January 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

I read somewhere the length of the skirts was also an indication

Skirt lengths, and how much shoulder and/or midriff are exposed, are part of how the masses "feel" about themselves as well. Color also tells others about your emotional (mood) state (brighter colors for happy, darker colors more pessimistic). And for those who may ask "what about business attire?" that tends to be on the dark side, if you strip the outer layers and look underneath, the color of their underwear gives the same mood indications. ;)

Never underestimate the forecasting ability of apparel...it is the only true method to know more about a person, and their mental and emotional state, than they actually know (or are willing to acknowledge) about themselves.

Fib

I just found a link to the fashions at the Golden Globes - note the draping and the romantic theme in many of the garments.

Edited by fib_1618, 18 January 2010 - 03:03 PM.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#6 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

People dress horribly... its all t shirts and jeans.....i think i am the only guy left who enjoys wearing suits!

#7 relax

relax

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

fib, i would say that women's fashion says more about a woman than men's fashion says about a guy women's fashion is more of an identity issue for a woman agree? or am i just trying to find a reason for my boring personality

#8 viccarter

viccarter

TRIN_Rida

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

Awesome work here guys!

#9 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

People dress horribly... its all t shirts and jeans...i think i am the only guy left who enjoys wearing suits!

Part of this is because of where you live, but much of this type of dress is the broader generational acceptance of dressing down over the last 15 years. First it was on Friday's, then it became a daily routine. This "societal evolution" took place primarily because of demographics where those under the age of 35 were making the big bucks with little in the way of interactive business development (technology related products). And those who make the big bucks, not only set the rules, but they also set the standard in which others try to imitate (success begets success).

The pendulum swings both ways, however, and as times get tougher, those who "dress for success" will eventually be back in vogue. If you look around lately, you'll see that this transformation is already taking place.

On the flip side of this argument, during times in which economies slow, and money becomes tighter, one does tend to dress down to reflect their lack of success, and some dress down because they can't afford to dress any other way. It's a complex psychological subject, too complex to discuss here.

i would say that woman's fashion says more about a woman than men's fashion says about a guy

The male species tends to be stoic in their personalities. Because of this, most of their fashion sense tends be rather consistent over time. If they do show any fashion sense, it's usually because of the input from their female partner...they are the shoppers. Woman are also allowed to stretch the limits of fashion acceptability for both the pleasure of themselves and for their male counterparts. Taken together then, yes, what woman wear reflects a broader indication of mass emotional opinion than that of male related fashion. There's also an area of how kids clothing works in this area of analysis as this is but an extension of their parents perception of things, but that's for another time.

Fib

#10 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

People dress horribly... its all t shirts and jeans.....i think i am the only guy left who enjoys wearing suits!

You are not alone there...