Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

Stu: when was the last time miners ran with gold stagnant? thanks

#42 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

stubaby

I am with you on the miners stocks, so much so that I bought UXG this am. Added it to my position. UXG is one of my core holdings. Rob McEwen is a standout in the precious metals mining space and owns 20% of UXG stock. In a recent letter to shareholders he stated; "we set out to build a great company that I expect will qualify for inclusion in the S&P 500 Index by 2015" So my belief is this stock is a 10 bagger over the next 3 years.

Thanks stubaby for all the great chart work and analysis you so generously share with the board.

Best to you. :)
Peace
johngeorge

#43 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

it remains to be seen what the dominant themes for 12 are . time will tell

With the Mayan calender "in play" - the masses will begin to take more risk (the WTF factor) - we saw the same thing around Y2K.

Chinese have been "quiet" for a while here - that should change in the year forward.

In addition the miners are in a much better fundamental position today, unlike 2008 when the run-up before the drop was not suppported by improving fundamentals.

I'm looking for the miners to run off of this corrective into 2013, even with range-bound gold price.

stubaby

@some point , and i know i have been saying this for years, the miners will run. the status quo thinking is common in the miner market.
the far east is still in aggressive accumulation mode. i do expect that to continue. the key issue when buying miners is that they are well funded
dharma

#44 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

KWN interviews James Turk December 27, 2011: James Turk - What to Expect from Gold & Silver in 2012
Peace
johngeorge

#45 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

the name of the thread is my thoughts here. w/bullish sentiment very low, bullish cots. and now i am seeing bottoming action on daily charts , i believe we are in the bottoming process here. i realize the trading graveyards are full of folks who have called bottoms. i am saying that i believe we are now in the process of carving out a bottom i want to see price conform to sentiment. price is the indicator for me. i am seeing daily rsi divergences for gold and the indexes. so, the process is beginning now that the rsi. has dropped below 30 for the 2nd time. now while gold made new highs in gold in aug/sept silver did not, its high was in april. so it has been in the process of carving out a bottom for a longer period of time. what is interesting to me is, if one goes back to the 80 highs on silver it is carving out a long term cup and handle. i suspect down the road we see silver w/some giddyap. i do expect the 50 mark to fall. it may take some time, but i do think we see much higher prices. keep in mind that the sovereign debt crises is no closer to a resolution then it was in sept. nothing has changed on that front. its all a matter of perception. @different times, different things dominate the markets views. my sights are set on sovereign debt. the rest is all noise. its incredibly easy ,w/this volatility to be brought into an emotional state where one loses his way. patience is required here. and a view of the big picture. folks are racing into treasuries, for paltry returns. in the hopes of gaining safety. be careful there. dharma

#46 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

getting seriously ugly in here
everyone loves to say this aint 2008, as if that will somehow magically levitate the miners
well of course it isnt 2008, doesnt mean that this tiny miner sector cant get taken down so the boys can load up one more time
what a racket!

One more thought near-term - looks to me like we are setting up for an island reversal in the mining indices

stubaby

http://stockcharts.c...466338&r=92.png

#47 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

getting seriously ugly in here
everyone loves to say this aint 2008, as if that will somehow magically levitate the miners
well of course it isnt 2008, doesnt mean that this tiny miner sector cant get taken down so the boys can load up one more time
what a racket!

dougie

I would get worried about the miners if the HUI takes out the recent low of 483 on Oct 4th. And yes, what a racket!

Best to you
Peace
johngeorge

#48 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

gld:slv breaking out not a good sign for any "risk" assets

#49 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User