72 replies to this topic

#31 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Finally, a politician proposes something sane:

Colorado Governor Seeks Expansion of Mental Health Care

DENVER — Gov. John Hickenlooper is proposing an expansion of Colorado’s mental health services, including urgent care facilities for the mentally ill and housing vouchers — initiatives that are a response to the Aurora theater shootings this summer.

The governor’s office says the plan developed by Hickenlooper and state health officials requires lawmakers to approve $18.5 million in funding. Hickenlooper planned to comment and discuss the proposals Tuesday morning.

About $10.2 million would go to opening five 24-hour walk-in centers for mental health care in Colorado and establishing a statewide mental health crisis hotline. Hickenlooper is also proposing building two 15-bed residential facilities for short-term transition from mental health hospitals to the community, and housing vouchers for people with serious mental illness. That portion of the plan would cost nearly $4.8 million, the governor’s office said.

The name of the initiative is called “Strengthening Colorado’s Mental Health System: A Plan to Safeguard All Coloradans.” The governor’s office said Monday that the services Hickenlooper and state health officials are proposing are aimed at redesigning and strengthening Colorado’s system for taking care of the mentally ill, an issue that has received more attention in the wake of the July’s shootings.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#32 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

[attachment=20277:photo.JPG]
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#33 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Videogames under fire, Hollywood lays low...
(Reuters) - The multi-billion-dollar videogame industry came under scrutiny on Wednesday after Hollywood canceled, postponed or played down a slew of movies and TV shows with violent content in the wake of last week's shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.
In Washington, a call for a national study of the impact of violent videogames on children and a review of the rating system.
Although investigators in Newtown, Connecticut, have given no motive for Friday's shooting rampage, some U.S. media have reported that the 20-year-old gunman played popular videogame "Call of Duty"

Tarantino: War on Drugs Is 'Slavery'...
The graphic violence and revenge in the film is entirely appropriate...plus I'm getting rich off of really bloody scenes! :giljotiini: :banana: :clap:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 December 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#34 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" (feminist slogan)

The right notices the destruction of the family, but few politicians strike at the heart of the government subsidization of dysfunction. The left can't act because then they'd upset the social failures + welfare junkies dependent on them. A healthy nation would debate the widespread use of mental medication on minors. A healthy nation wouldn't mock values voters in the face of so much dysfunction.

Let's review Lanza's profile:

1. Medical issues
2. Mental issues
2a. On mental medication
3. Divorced parents
4. Lives in society awash in violent imagery
5. Lives in society where tough {bleeeep} parents are rare compared to 1960
6. 1st person shooter video gamer
7. Family atomized to the point where his brother who is roughly his age hasn't seen him or their mother in two years
8. "Socially awkward"
9. Single mom who bossed him around (per the barber)

Lanza shot his mom in the face four times before killing the schoolchildren. Think he hated his mom? Think his mom might have had a weird relationship with him that she knew he was ill but kept shielding him and protecting him whenever the schools said he was off or needed to be flagged or followed?

http://28sherman.blo...nt-discuss.html
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#35 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Posted Image
I am for freedom, not boycotts.
But freedom requires personal responsibility, a truly "Endangered Species."
So I really like what this kid is promoting: “We choose not to play.”

Newtown 7th Grader Starts Movement To Rid America Of Violent Video Games...

One seventh grader in Newtown is gathering a selection of his personal video games.
He was getting rid of them for one reason and said he wants you to get rid of yours as well.
“All of it is kill, just kill as many people as you can without dying,” Max Goldstein said.
Each one is what they call a “first-person shooter,” a game in which the player looks at a digital landscape through the sights of a weapon and uses it on enemies.
They are among the most popular games on the market; violent, engaging, and, some say, addictive. In the aftermath of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Goldstein and his brother decided it was a digital world they could no longer embrace.
With his parents help he’s created a group called “Played Out” that uses the slogan “We choose not to play.” It urges fellow kids to ditch their violent games as well. Bins will be going up in Newtown on Friday.
“We hope people will drop off … and destroy them,” said Jackson Mittleman, Goldstein’s brother.
The adults are wondering why they didn’t think of it first.

PS: I am also for parents being the "Grown-ups" in a family and laying down rules, especially on these violent games.
Parents, wake up.
I know. You don't want to be bothered.

Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 December 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#36 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" (feminist slogan)

Remember when the "progressives" in Hollywood mocked Dan Qualye?

Reflect on just how psychologically sick the Hollywood progressives are.

20 years ago Dan Qualye was savaged by the media when he mentioned how inappropriate he thought it was for the TV character Murphy Brown, a single woman, to be having a child and raising the child by herself.
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#37 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Violent images in movies, TV or computer games CAN act as triggers for aggression, says new report
International panel conclude media violence can act as a trigger for aggressive thoughts and feelings

'Ratings are not substitutes for parents'
In their report, the commission concluded that aside from being sources of imitation, violent images - such as scenes in movies, games or even pictures in comic books - act as triggers for activating aggressive thoughts and feelings already stored in memory.
If these aggressive thoughts and feelings are activated over and over again because of repeated exposure to media violence, they become chronically accessible, and therefore more likely to influence behaviour.

A ten-year-old plays a previous Grand Theft Auto (posed by model): Despite age-restrictions, many minors still manage to play
The commission concluded: 'One may also become more vigilant for hostility and aggression in the world, and therefore, begin to feel some ambiguous actions by others (such as being bumped in a crowded room) are deliberate acts of provocation.'
The commission concluded that the ratings are not substitutes for parents watching, playing, or listening to the media their children use, stating parents should be the ones keeping a watchful eye as rating systems often provide too little detail about media content to be helpful.
It's important for them to take control of their child's media diet - then it doesn't matter how good the ratings system is, because they're going to ignore it anyway.'
The report is published in journal Aggressive Behaviour.

http://www.dailymail...aggression.html
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 December 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#38 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I am always amazed by the US and its supposed Christian culture. It has no Christian culture. It has a form thereof but no real commitment. The Bible says "they shall beat their swords into plowshares". It says "they that live by the sword will die by the sword". It says "turn the other cheek to those that strike you". So why this thing about weapons. The US is not Christian, it is anything but. The Bible says, "by their fruits ye shall know them". So it seems it is a case of "begone, I never knew you".

#39 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

I am always amazed by the US and its supposed Christian culture.
It has no Christian culture.
It has a form thereof but no real commitment.
The Bible says "they shall beat their swords into plowshares".
It says "they that live by the sword will die by the sword".
It says "turn the other cheek to those that strike you".
So why this thing about weapons.
The US is not Christian, it is anything but.
The Bible says, "by their fruits ye shall know them".
So it seems it is a case of "begone, I never knew you".

You know that the topic of Religion is not normally permitted on this site and would be blocked.
However because have made religious statements so far out of the Biblical context I must refute them and allow those who wish to read the true context of your statements.

1)The Bible says "they shall beat their swords into plowshares".
Refers to nations having wars with each other. (Isaiah, Joel, Micah)

2)It says "they that live by the sword will die by the sword".
Not a true Bible statement nor reference.

3)It says "turn the other cheek to those that strike you".
Refers to loving your neighbor, (Matthew, Luke)

4)The Bible says, "by their fruits ye shall know them".
Refers to false prophets.

I like this one the best, it reminds me of YOU.
5)"begone, I never knew you".
Refers to evil doers entering into heaven clamming to be Christians.

If your going to quote KJV of the Bible stay in the true context of the verses.

AGAIN, REFRAIN FROM RELIGIOUS POSTINGS.

mss

Edited by mss, 21 December 2012 - 09:22 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#40 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

mss The problem is you are typical of the problem. You wish to make what is of essence into legalism. Whether it is religion or philosophy or just personal conviction, until we get past the "law" as the way to live we are just animals. Our instincts have to be changed. Hatred and revenge can no longer be part of our nature. Greed and pride can no longer be part of our nature. When we have changed we have no need of any law.