"Free" Healthcare is a killer

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Remember the "woman's right to privacy?" Kiss that concept good-bye as the soft tyranny continues to grow.

OBAMACARE WILL QUESTION YOUR SEX LIFE
‘Are you sexually active? If so, with one partner, multiple partners or same-sex partners?”
Be ready to answer those questions and more the next time you go to the doctor.
The president’s “reforms” aim to turn doctors into government agents, pressuring them financially to ask questions they consider inappropriate and unnecessary, and to violate their Hippocratic Oath to keep patients’ records confidential.
Dr. Richard Amerling, a nephrologist and associate professor at Albert Einstein Medical College, explains that your medical record should be “a story created by you and your doctor solely for your treatment and benefit.” But the new requirements are turning it “into an interrogation, and the data will not be confidential.”
Lack of confidentiality is what concerned the New York Civil Liberties Union in a 2012 report. Electronic medical records have enormous benefits, but with one click of a mouse, every piece of information in a patient’s record, including the social history, is transmitted, disclosing too much.
The social-history questions also include whether you’ve ever used drugs, including IV drugs. As the NYCLU cautioned, revealing a patient’s past drug problem, even if it was a decade ago, risks stigma.
On the other end of the political spectrum is the Goldwater Institute, a free-market think tank. It argues that by requiring everyone to have health insurance and then imposing penalties on insurers, doctors and hospitals who don’t use the one-click electronic system, the law is violating Americans’ medical privacy.

Maybe we will just have to "plead the Fifth," as Obama's appointees do:

"The committee has been contacted by Ms. Lerner's lawyer who stated that his client intended to invoke her Fifth Amendment right and refuse to answer questions."
Ms Lerner is only the head of the IRS, which is in charge of Obamacare!!!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 16 September 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#62 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

We were promised that health insurance rates would drop.
Instead companies are dropping health insurance altogether.
Others are seeing their premiums TRIPLE From $300+ a month to $900+ for a family of four!!!
Other businesses are forced to drop the family plans.

Obamacare Glitch May Leave 500,000 Children Without Coverage As Employers Drop Families

Horror stories emerge: Family's premiums triple...

Many small-business exchanges not ready...

Spain healthcare suffering 'devastating' cuts...

Citing government figures, he said 873,000 people had had their access to Spain's free public healthcare system discontinued since September 2012 -- most whose entitlement lapsed because they lost their jobs.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 24 September 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#63 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

We were promised that health insurance rates would drop.
Instead companies are dropping health insurance altogether.
Others are seeing their premiums TRIPLE From $300+ a month to $900+ for a family of four!!!
Other businesses are forced to drop the family plans.
<SNIP>

Roger --

The least discussed part of what the "Affordable" care act results in is not availability to insurance, but availability to MEDICAL CARE. The governments own (most recent) reports show 30,000,000 without insurance AFTER the ACAi s in full effect -- at 2.5 times the estimated costs when this bill was passed...with NO ONE knowing what was in it.....a "plan" supposedly to insure ALL at less cost

To give one example...California.

Result EXTREME rationing. up to 3/4th of doctors available before -- no longer allowed in exchange plans. 100s of hospitals excluded. Massive layoffs from hospitals as well.

IMO, it has never been about access to affordable medical care...it's about CONTROL and MASSIVE expansion of the federal government...period!

One last question....for anyone.

Name one thing (other than MAYBE -- in part -- the military) that government has EVER been able run effectively -- i.e. without huge amounts of corruption, waste, fraud, plus their inability to deliver services??

They can't even handle the medical and other benefits for a few million veterans.

Plus --
As much as $7500 more per year premiums for family of 4 -- instead of $2500 less -- NOW
People in their 70s having their medigap premiums TRIPLE -- NOW
75% of new jobs are part time -- NOW

Medicare was gutted to pay for 1/2 of this with DEEP RATIONING of care for the elderly starting already.
Millions of still "trying to work" middle class people moving to part time vs. full time work AND/OR having spouse and kids on kicked their plan.

Tell me it not going to get worse after it's get started in earnest....I'll skip the mass of doctors retiring or going to "cash only" practices. 3 of mine ARE hanging it up in the next 3 months.

Edited by *JB*, 24 September 2013 - 11:43 PM.

"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#64 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

Name one thing (other than MAYBE -- in part -- the military) that government has EVER been able run effectively -- i.e. without huge amounts of corruption, waste, fraud, plus their inability to deliver services??

Well, I just flushed my toilet and it didn't flood my back yard. And I just turned on a faucet and water came out. How incompetent is that? And I just looked out my window and the streetlight is on. My, my the street in front of my house is paved and wonder of wonders if I go down to the corner which I can see from here and turn onto the next street it's paved too -- good thing too since what's the worth of one paved street if it's the only paved street? Let's see what else I can see out this window...oh, there's an airplane on its descent into the airport. I wonder if it'll land safely there? Virtually all of them do and take off too without smacking into each other. Oh, I hear the ding-ding-ding of the cross arms on a railroad crossing to stop the cars getting hit by a passing train. Just a little added safety precaution installed some years ago after a carload of foolish teenagers tried race a locomotive to that crossing and lost.

Faintly now, I hear a band playing. It is faint, can barely hear it, no doubt it's coming from the band shell under the canopy of trees in the city park a distance from my house. The trees in the park are just beginning to turn and soon they will lose their ocean of leaves. I bet I know who'll clean up all that.

Let me think...I didn't worry about the food I ate tonight. It was inspected, regulated and generally trustworthy, unlike in a lot of countries. Somebody's been clearing out the rats regularly in our town and disposing of road kills so we don't have a lot of bubonic plague or cholera around here. Oh, there's my neighbor taking out her garbage for tomorrow's pickup. I bet if some bum downtown decided to make the front entrance to her flower shop his home she could call our local police and have him moved along and maybe even get him some help at some local agency before he inadvertently kills her business.

Sometimes all this is like a Charles Ives concert, chaotic and sometimes raucous but also suddenly sweet here and there.

These are the sights and sounds outside just one window in one room of my house. Life in America. Pretty much the same everywhere, or at least in the best places. And it seems like a lot of things are taken for granted around here...like the presence of the government in every single one sentence above.

But if your toilet is flooding your back yard I'm going to assume you must live in some backwater of America where there are no public services, or more likely these days where the civic realm is under-taxed, misunderstood, disregarded and in decay, and suggest you might want to call the CDC. The government doctors and scientists there might just be able to effectively figure out what that microbe is that's crawling up the inside of your leg right now before it eats out the rest of your brain.

And by the way, the military may be the least effective government agency. Talk about waste (cost overruns), fraud (can you spell Halliburton) and the inability to deliver services -- how many trillions of dollar are we going to have to throw into losing endless wars against rice farmers and sheep herders and camel jockeys before even you are able to see how much the government actually does well and how stupid and massively expensive the stuff is it f---... uh, messes up.

We agree, there are lot of things the government needs to fix, real efficient affordable universal health care to match if not exceed the rest of the industrialized world for one (it can still be the most expensive but let's knock it down six or so GDP percentage points), but the military would also be a great place to start. We could just get rid of some of the waste of redundancy there -- Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines. It takes four military branch to run up the national debt and screw up the world at the same time? I'll be real radical here and say let's just get rid of one of them. Given how well the Navy Seals have performed these days, let's eliminate the Marine Corps. :D

Edited by diogenes227, 25 September 2013 - 02:17 AM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#65 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

Obamacare is an unmtiigated disaster.

The sanctimonious frauds in Congress waived Obamacare for themselves. If national health care is so great, why don't they want it?

In every single category of "Crap Forced On the Country by the Left", liberals always have a work-around for themselves.

They love the public schools and denounce school choice -- but their kids go to St. Albans or Sidwell Friends.

Liberals are always eager to release criminals and block crucial crime-fighting strategies such as stop-and-frisk -- which they announce from the safety of their antiseptic, crime-free neighborhoods.

They love the homeless, but try putting a homeless shelter in their doorman buildings.

They tell us guns won't protect us -- and then we find out the loudest of them all have armed guards. Staunch gun-control advocate Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago had three armed guards with him at all times, as well as an armored car.

Are you beginning to see the pattern?

http://townhall.com/...models-n1709843
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#66 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

New Orleans levees are marvelous examples of the eventual destructiveness of incompetent, corrupt, government bureaucracies.
Hundreds of thousands of dollars sent to rebuild and reinforce them wound up in politician's freezers, and people died.
Posted Image

Toilets, streets and buildings in Detroit are marvelous examples of the eventual destructiveness of incompetent, corrupt, government bureaucracies, especially when they have been supported by collectivism, which always fails when you run out of other people's money.
Posted Image

Health Care is great when administered by doctors.
It is deadly when run by incompetent, corrupt, bureaucrats.

Judge Overrules Sebelius Death Sentence For 10 Year Girl

Some people want to give Kathleen Sebelius a break for refusing to waive a bureaucratic rule that insured 10 year old Sarah Murnaghan couldn’t get the lung transplant she needed to live. In effect, by refusing to waive the rule, Sebelius was dooming a 10 year old girl to death even though her doctors thought she had a decent shot to survive the transplant.
First of all, not only is that wrong, it’s one of the big problems with Obamacare. Politicians in D.C. shouldn’t have the authority to make life and death decisions.

However, the fact that Sebelius refused to waive the rule was even worse when you consider what we all know is true.

* If Sasha Obama needed to have the rule waived to get a transplant, it would have happened.
* If one of Obama’s illegal alien relatives needed to have the rule waived to get a transplant, it would have happened.
* If a prominent union member’s child needed to have the rule waived to get a transplant, it would have happened.
* If a prominent member of Planned Parenthood needed to have the rule waived to get a transplant, it would have happened.
* If Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Steny Hoyer or Dick Durbin had a relative who needed to have the rule waived to get a transplant, it would have happened.
* If the child of a big Democrat donor needed to have the rule waived to get a transplant, it would have happened.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 September 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#67 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Well, I just flushed my toilet and it didn't flood my back yard......<SNIP>

Diogenes -- (I love these grandiose names the left assign to themselves)

With you it's hard to tell if your serious or just being snarky. In any case --

My post -- and this thread -- was about the Federal Government ACA and the effects -- Thus I said ""it has never been about access to affordable medical care...it's about CONTROL and MASSIVE expansion of the federal government...period!

City, county, and state is a completely seperate topic -- and in most left-run cities, counties, and states is often worse. Those examples -- including New York -- would take more pages than the Affordiable Care Act -- NOW 70,000+ pages.

Edited by *JB*, 26 September 2013 - 02:17 PM.

"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#68 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

We agree, there are lot of things the government needs to fix, real efficient affordable universal health care to match if not exceed the rest of the industrialized world for one......

Well, this heart breaking joke -- the ACA -- "ain't" it.

Today our president was campaigning to young people; who the Federal government MUST have sign up!! He told them that you'll now be able to save $100, maybe $200, on you insurance premiums so you can afford the premiums.

What he didn't tell them is that the deductible is $6000 -- plus a 20% co-pay after you get past that first $6000...PER YEAR!

Given that most young people are bored to death with the "details" of managing their lives -- wait 'til they go in (for example) for gall bladder surgery with their shiny new health insurance card (when they have NO savings like 90% of the rest of the US) and find out that they are going to have to PAY IT ALL -- PLUS now ALSO pay $2-4000 a year for the privilege.

So what do they get that they couldn't have had before -- NOTHING. All they had to do BEFORE was get a high deductible plan -- at LESS cost -- build up a buffer by putting money into a "medical savings" account. But that takes planning and the willingness to take responsibility for managing their lives.

For this PHASE ONE of the DECLARED (by the president -- on video) move to socialized, single payer, insurance we get a great loss of full time jobs, $2-3 Trillion in added costs to the tax payer -- millions losing the care they have now -- and a slow economy that provides a far bleaker future going forward....plus 30,000,00 uninsured still!

"""universal health care to match if not exceed the rest of the industrialized world for one"""

I dare you to show how much better these western countries are doing with their nationalized health care. Canada has far more people bankrupted due to medical costs than the US, the UK has 10s of 1000s die because of rationing of meds, availability of beds AND medical personal, and life saving surgeries delayed by 6 months, even a year....they even STARVE TO DEATH IN THE HOSPITALS see report from British paper

I could go through the rest of Europe and point out FAR greater scope of harm -- like where Sweden will deny care or non "in plan meds" and WON"T LET THE PEOPLE PAY FOR IT THEMSELVES even to save their own life becasue the government doesn't want to set a president.

You must still be stuck on "HOPE and CHANGE" -- but for -- and to -- WHAT!?!?

Edited by *JB*, 26 September 2013 - 06:55 PM.

"Don't think...LOOK!"

#69 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

This is day 1 of Free Healthcare: GET IN LINE AND WAIT.
Kinda like those East Berlin bread lines.
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 01 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#70 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

After over a half hour wait, I began to create an account but the drop down menus would not function on the security questions.
I hit the refresh button and that got me back to the WAIT IN LINE page. <_<
I'm glad I'm not having a heart attack...yet.
Your government at work.
Posted Image