155 replies to this topic

#51 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:54 AM

I agree with most of this:

"The Bull's Case

The bullish case for the market is pretty thin.

1. Hopes are high for a full reopening of the economy
  2. A vaccine
  3. A rapid return to economic normalcy.
  4. 2022 earnings will be sufficiently high enough to justify "current" prices. (Let that sink in - that's two years of ZERO price growth.)
  5. The Fed.

In actuality, the first four points are rationalizations. It is the Fed's liquidity driving the market.

saupload_SP500-Fed-Balance-Sheet-061520_

The Bear's Case

The bear's built their case on more solid fundamental views.

1. The potential for a second wave of the virus
  2. A slower than expected economic recovery
  3. A second wave of the virus erodes consumer confidence slowing employment
  4. High unemployment weighs on personal consumption
  5. Debt defaults and bankruptcies rise more sharply than expected.
  6. All of which translates into the sharply reduced earnings and corporate profitability.

Ultimately, corporate profits and earnings always matter, as discussed previously. (Historically, earnings never catch up with price.)

"Throughout history, earnings are very predictable. Using the analysis above, we can "guesstimate" the decline in earnings, and the potential decline in stock prices to align valuations. The chart below is the long-term log trend of earnings versus its exponential growth trend."

saupload_SP500-Earnings-Revisions-061520

As we noted then, while "don't fight the Fed" seems to be a simple formula for the bullish case, the deviation between "fundamentals" and "fantasy" will eventually matter."

https://seekingalpha...square-off-line

Edited by dTraderB, 16 June 2020 - 06:55 AM.

#52 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:01 AM

Great column by one of the best; subscribe to his mailing list is recommended:

"Bottom Line:  The Fed appears to be taking actions that are not obviously necessary to meet its stated objective of smooth market functioning. It looks like the Fed is trying to enhance the portfolio balance effect of asset purchases. I am not opposed to that, but I am wondering why they don’t just say it. One reason could be that they fear Congress will limit the amount of fiscal support should the Fed push monetary policy further now. I am at a loss for another reason. The implication is that, short-term psychological shift aside, even if the economy just limps ahead it looks like the Fed is providing support for a wide range of asset classes."

https://blogs.uorego...t-us-to-or-not/

#53 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:57 AM

Took a -30 point loss on my sell build last night, first one in a while but only -2 points with my gains for the day earlier on.  I'm adding to my 3200 June calls that expire this Friday cause there so inflated.  Started at $32 and adding more this morning at $18.  Think I'll start my short build here to at 3150! 

#54 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

wow!

trading is never easy... but if you lost any $$ on this morning's melt-up then.....maybe it is not for you

#55 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:24 AM

Profit stop 3149!  See how this goes for today, added more to my 3200 calls for $20!  My cycle readings show we should be nowhere near there by Friday if not down for the week!  Gonna be an interesting week!  Just a note for people btw, S&P 500 futures contracts and options expire with the S&P 500 cash opening first thing Friday morning so you wanna be out of your trades before then because the actual number can swing over 2-3% sometimes from what you see at the open because it is calculated by taking the first trade of the 500 stocks.  Relic way of doing it in my view but thats how its done! 

#56 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

SPY SEP buy limit orders placed 

should be filled above SPX  3170

I may adjust those orders and also place additional orders higher up

#57 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:26 AM

wow!

trading is never easy... but if you lost any $$ on this morning's melt-up then.....maybe it is not for you

-30 is nothing as you've seen on my trades that's my first loss in about the last 20 and in the end was only -2 for the day lol!  There's also the fact that I've been doing this for about 20 years lol!  Could take my profits on this mornings short for 10 already but I'm leaving it.

#58 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

Might as well see how the open goes, profit stop 3145! 

#59 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:34 AM

3140, profit stop...

#60 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

Profit stop 3135 and there you go 15 already made up if hit lol!  Call prices way overpriced so quick with really only 3 trading days left, crazy, gotta say!